Marvel Universe stuff

Haus

<Silver Donator>
It should infuriate people that they could have been making good and fun movies for the last 5 years, but they chose to make woke and subpar shit instead.
Not just that, but the D+ series.... Loki was passable and ended well IMHO. OTOH, the She Hulk series literally turned me off from the character and I have a section of my game room book case dedicated to She Hulk TPBs and have been a locked in fan of the character for decades. In the case of She Hulk they writers openly bragged about how they essentially didn't read/know/care about any of the underlying IP material, they knew what they wanted to do, and the actual characters and history be damned.

But we all know the core issue. They fell into the same trap as Marvel comics did years ago with "All New, All Different!". Thinking that by attempting to pivot to an audience who traditionally hasn't cared for or like the characters by shuffling in as many DEI points as they can. Then wondering why the mostly traditional white male audience which drove their revenue and profits just stopped showing up. I don't think they have it in them to say "We need to go back to what worked, and show a commitment to staying there". I think they consider their commitment to "the message" to be more important and they think they just need to cater to the smarter audience they feel smug for catering to.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Romani are not any specific ethnic origin. That's why they're gypsies. RDJ can be a pikey if anyone can.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Not just that, but the D+ series.... Loki was passable and ended well IMHO. OTOH, the She Hulk series literally turned me off from the character and I have a section of my game room book case dedicated to She Hulk TPBs and have been a locked in fan of the character for decades. In the case of She Hulk they writers openly bragged about how they essentially didn't read/know/care about any of the underlying IP material, they knew what they wanted to do, and the actual characters and history be damned.

But we all know the core issue. They fell into the same trap as Marvel comics did years ago with "All New, All Different!". Thinking that by attempting to pivot to an audience who traditionally hasn't cared for or like the characters by shuffling in as many DEI points as they can. Then wondering why the mostly traditional white male audience which drove their revenue and profits just stopped showing up. I don't think they have it in them to say "We need to go back to what worked, and show a commitment to staying there". I think they consider their commitment to "the message" to be more important and they think they just need to cater to the smarter audience they feel smug for catering to.
I don't think it's even that cognizant. They get their bank loans from Blackrock and Blackrock demands DEI. So Disney makes more inclusive content. Finally, when DEI sank a ton of companies, Blackrock relented and is allowing business as usual for now until their next big push. They achieved their goals, a bunch of beloved IPs and brands have been permanently damaged and destroyed and best of all they were able to push their agenda much further than ever before they had to pull back.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Romani are not any specific ethnic origin. That's why they're gypsies. RDJ can be a pikey if anyone can.
Wut? Romani is literally an ethnic group.

Gypsy is a little broader, we more commonly have "Irish" Gypsies in the UK, though it's basically a fake ethnic group to sheild against their criminality. We have lots of actual Irish people and most have Irish ancestry anyway.

I firmly belive that people should be judged by their own standards if they are going to virtue signal, so I fully support going after Disney for not casting a Gypsy.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Wut? Romani is literally an ethnic group.

Gypsy is a little broader, we more commonly have "Irish" Gypsies in the UK, though it's basically a fake ethnic group to sheild against their criminality. We have lots of actual Irish people and most have Irish ancestry anyway.

I firmly belive that people should be judged by their own standards if they are going to virtue signal, so I fully support going after Disney for not casting a Gypsy.
It really doesn't matter what they are. They have no specific religion or a country to call their own. they're just a bunch of scum who travel the world scamming decent people out of their hard earned money. Gypsies are more globally hated than the Jews

• 2Worf
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It really doesn't matter what they are. They have no specific religion or a country to call their own. they're just a bunch of scum who travel the world scamming decent people out of their hard earned money. Gypsies are more globally hated than the Jews
Are you saying that all UFO people are gypsies??
Interested GIF by HULU

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1EyeRoll

Bald Brah

Lord Nagafen Raider

Jews probably are the OG gypsies. After Rome destroyed their nation, burned their synagogues, and exiled any survivors forever.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I am OK with Doom bing a Stark Variant if that's the path they choose. As long as its done well i really don't care what gets changed.

Entertain me for 2 - 3 hours, that's all it has to be.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Russos will be getting $80m to direct the two movies, RDJ will be getting even more

But bringing back key members of the old gang won't come cheap. Sources say Marvel is plunking down $80 million for Anthony and Joe Russo to direct "Avengers: Doomsday" and "Avengers: Secret Wars" and "significantly more" for Downey to tackle uber-villain Doctor Doom in the two tentpoles. The Russos' deal doesn't include back-end compensation, but it does contain performance escalators that kick in at the $750 million and $1 billion thresholds. The brothers also will produce the two films via their AGBO banner. That marks something of a departure for Marvel, which typically doesn't work with outside producers, preferring to keep the team in house.

Sources say Downey, who is repped by WME, agreed to return to the MCU if the Russos, who are CAA clients, would be directing. "They were the only ones he would work with," says a source familiar with the dealmaking.

After all, the brothers' two "Avengers" movies earned a whopping $4.851 billion combined. As Marvel looks to regain its footing, a Downey/Russos reteaming is "a perfect combination of timing and everyone being on the same page," says one executive close to the project.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Russos will be getting $80m to direct the two movies, RDJ will be getting even more

But bringing back key members of the old gang won't come cheap. Sources say Marvel is plunking down $80 million for Anthony and Joe Russo to direct "Avengers: Doomsday" and "Avengers: Secret Wars" and "significantly more" for Downey to tackle uber-villain Doctor Doom in the two tentpoles. The Russos' deal doesn't include back-end compensation, but it does contain performance escalators that kick in at the $750 million and $1 billion thresholds. The brothers also will produce the two films via their AGBO banner. That marks something of a departure for Marvel, which typically doesn't work with outside producers, preferring to keep the team in house.

Sources say Downey, who is repped by WME, agreed to return to the MCU if the Russos, who are CAA clients, would be directing. "They were the only ones he would work with," says a source familiar with the dealmaking.

After all, the brothers' two "Avengers" movies earned a whopping $4.851 billion combined. As Marvel looks to regain its footing, a Downey/Russos reteaming is "a perfect combination of timing and everyone being on the same page," says one executive close to the project.
RDJ should have been able to bow out of the franchise. Evans will be back too no doubt. Their stories were done, but there doesn't seem to have been anything written to move on from them to something more interesting. They had years to prepare their exits, did they? Nope. It does seem like they had Spidey being groomed to take over after Tony died. But maybe when the Sony deal fell through they had to scramble to put something else in it's place. That was just bad business. Using an IP they don't own and then trying to have it be the lynchpin to their franchise. I sure hope they didn't think Captain Bitchface or Shrimpin Boat Captain was going to do it. One was incapable of emoting and the other got tuned up by a freckled girl. Just bad planning. These people are still in charge too.

Are we to assume they won't keep making the same mistakes they've been making for the last 7 years?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Jonathan Majors is the one who fucked up plans so bad they couldn't simply recast Kang, they had to go all the way back to the drawing board for both villain arc and multiverse tie-ins.

If they could do Kang they wouldn't be throwing money at RDJ to play Doom. They still shouldn't but they can't tack on a +3 year gap to build something else up

Chris

Potato del Grande
Jonathan Majors is the one who fucked up plans so bad they couldn't simply recast Kang, they had to go all the way back to the drawing board for both villain arc and multiverse tie-ins.

If they could do Kang they wouldn't be throwing money at RDJ to play Doom. They still shouldn't but they can't tack on a +3 year gap to build something else up
They could just recast Kang and even have an in universe explaination with the variants, just kill them all offscreen.

They are changing it because critics bashed the story and audiences were not paying to see it. He was hardly built up as it was.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

yeah GTFO of here with that Kang shit. nobody told them to base their entire phase around a black guy who was a "we wuz Kangz" meme and then get his ass beat in every movie and just happens to be a serial woman beater IRL. it was well known before he started playing Kangz that he was a violent nog. they tried to cover it up and it got out anyway. whatwver they were building was assinine and not very well planned because he never showed up until after Endgame. thats not how you build a new story. you build a new story arch while still in the old story arch and so you can transition from old to new without it feeling like you are starting from new. if they were smart they would have had Kang start showing up in Civil War or Black Panther and had him just be in the background as a henchman for Klaw or something. then you see him working for somebody else, maybe as on Mysterio's team. but instead they just had him show up as the "insert new big bad"" with no background or foreshadowing. just here it is. now give us money!

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
He lost to Antman, you mean.

Imagine if Thanos showed up during Iron Man 1 and got his ass kicked by Happy Hogan his fucking limo driver. some fucking threat, losing to paul rudd

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user