Marvel Universe stuff

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Marvel is getting things right again!
I'm a huge Marvel fanboy and I have hope, but not a lot of trust. Time will tell. RDJ was the man, but never had a great stand alone movie in the MCU. Sure, Iron-Man started it all, but 2 & 3 were very sub-par. And 1 doesn't really live up to some of the other tremendous films they've released. It would be great to really good single character film starring him again, but who knows? He did a fine job in Homecoming & every Avengers movie. And Civil War. He's really good at playing off of others, but I still like him as an actor.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

he'll also get some form of backend so it'll end up over $200-300m easy

by comparison, i didn't know at all thats how much keanu, tom, willis, or smith made off their sequels

GV5cVmlbAAA8yNG.jpg

I wonder how real that 100m number is for RDJ, cause the 100m number for Cruise, if I remember correctly, is pretty "fake". He got paid like 12m cash + percentage points as a producer for Maverick, which is obviously where a bulk of the money came from, due to its massive box office.

That is also where a large majority of Keanu's money came from for the Matrix.

I have to imagine RDJ's deal is something similar, a smaller amount upfront and either they are estimating based off previous RDJ marvel movies or he has a downside guarantee to a share of the box office after the fact.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I wonder how real that 100m number is for RDJ, cause the 100m number for Cruise, if I remember correctly, is pretty "fake". He got paid like 12m cash + percentage points as a producer for Maverick, which is obviously where a bulk of the money came from, due to its massive box office.

I have to imagine RDJ's deal is something similar, a smaller amount upfront and either they are estimating based off previous RDJ marvel movies or he has a downside guarantee to a share of the box office after the fact.
That 100 million is for 2 movies and his voice work for some other stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if that is before a backend cut.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah who knows he's gonna make insane money either way since i'm sure % is part of the deal too. You also get the feeling that RDJ likes being the center of attention and while he will always be the showcase at any comic con or fan event for Iron Man, adding Doom to the list would catapult him to something we've never really seen before.

The other interesting thing is that Feige started talking to him about Doom a year ago, just when Jonathan Majors started getting into legal troubles. Long, long before Disney officially dropped Kang/Majors. So they've been rebuilding phase 5 for a while now.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
yeah who knows he's gonna make insane money either way since i'm sure % is part of the deal too. You also get the feeling that RDJ likes being the center of attention and while he will always be the showcase at any comic con or fan event for Iron Man, adding Doom to the list would catapult him to something we've never really seen before.

The other interesting thing is that Feige started talking to him about Doom a year ago, just when Jonathan Majors started getting into legal troubles. Long, long before Disney officially dropped Kang/Majors. So they've been rebuilding phase 5 for a while now.
Lil tidbit. RDJ auditioned for Doom in the old FF movies.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
The Sixth Sense's overall budget was only $40 mil, Bruce Willis (like most of that list) just got lucky on the points.

Personally, I'm not sure I've ever watched a movie for RDJ himself* so I'll reiterate that Marvel is really rolling the dice on those Avengers movies themselves being profitable, but have to do something as the overall IP is dead if everything that isn't a tentpole makes The Marvels money.

*Hell, even Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was for Shane Black.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

How is that fake? That's such a strange word to use to describe actual money received even if it wasn't in the base salary.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
How is that fake? That's such a strange word to use to describe actual money received even if it wasn't in the base salary.

in the context of a movie's budget, the money an actor gets from either percentage points on their contract or as a producer is not part of the budget. So when I said "fake", the way its reported a lot of times make it sound like these actors are getting paid $100 million dollars of the movie's budget. They are not. RDJ may be getting $40-45 million per movie, plus some for voice work. But Cruise wasnt 100 million of Top Gun's budget, nor was Keanu that large amount towards the Matrix sequels. That wasn't their salary, that was their bonus for taking less money upfront and betting on the movie to succeed. That's what I meant by "Fake".

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
in the context of a movie's budget, the money an actor gets from either percentage points on their contract or as a producer is not part of the budget. So when I said "fake", the way its reported a lot of times make it sound like these actors are getting paid $100 million dollars of the movie's budget. They are not. RDJ may be getting $40-45 million per movie, plus some for voice work. But Cruise wasnt 100 million of Top Gun's budget, nor was Keanu that large amount towards the Matrix sequels. That wasn't their salary, that was their bonus for taking less money upfront and betting on the movie to succeed. That's what I meant by "Fake".

Yeah the distinction matters, as it heavily affects the movie's break-even point.