Most Hated Man in America

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This guy is seriously Raymond Schinazi... if Dr. Schinazi was a retard. Schinazi worked for the VA as a research scientist and was allowed to create/research his own shit with 1/8 of his time. 1/8 of his time happened to be where he did all of his work. When Congress got wind of him using grants to develop shit he immediately turned around and sold to drug companies they threw an inquiry at his feet.

Dude just agreed to sell it to the government (for like $200 Million) and walk away into the night. Never to be heard from again. This is not how you get away with shit Shkreli.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This guy is seriously Raymond Schinazi... if Dr. Schinazi was a retard. Schinazi worked for the VA as a research scientist and was allowed to create/research his own shit with 1/8 of his time. 1/8 of his time happened to be where he did all of his work. When Congress got wind of him using grants to develop shit he immediately turned around and sold to drug companies they threw an inquiry at his feet.

Dude just agreed to sell it to the government (for like $200 Million) and walk away into the night. Never to be heard from again. This is not how you get away with shit Shkreli.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
One could say it is better to draw the ire of a single ambitious DA over... all of Congress and any politician/DA/SEC lawyer looking to make a name for themselves and score some points.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yes, 7 digits was a figure of speech. I also obviously realize there are doctors who actually do do it to help people and don't make tons of money (because they actually want to help people). Last time I went to the hospital I was charged $80 for 2 tylenol. Literally two tylenol that I could go buy a bottle of 800 for 10 bucks, and they charged me 80. The doctor literally spent less than 5 minutes with me, and his cost was somewhere around $650. For less than 5 minutes. Even if he spent 2 hours looking at results/etc. that's fucking over $300 an hour. Totally in it to help people.

Are you trying to imply that making 100,000 a year is somehow barely scraping by status, Ambit?

PS: Before anyone chimes in about blah-blah expenses of hospitals being the reason, I already know that they charge out the ass for lots of reasons besides just doctor salaries but that doesn't really change the facts.
I'm not sure what the tylenol has to do with anything, but the Dr. doesn't see any of that. Also, for a lot of hospitals the number of people that actually pay can be below 50%, then you have malpractice insurance, etc. and the Dr isn't actually taking home anywhere close to $300 an hour. It's also a career where you've dedicated your entire life since you finished HS and aren't going to be what's considered wealthy until you're around 40.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
That's not how insider trading laws work. To get convicted of insider trading you have to have some kind of legal duty that you're violating, a CEO can't trade on nonpublic information about his corporation because he has a legal duty to that corporation. Without this duty it's perfectly legal to trade on nonpublic information you come across. From a legal perspective, Congressmen trading on information they come across doing their jobs is no different than a waiter that overhears a conversation between two executives and trades based on that information.
Weeeeelllll.... yes, but the duty gets imputed to those who receive the information if they know it's nonpublic. If they just "happen upon" information they're fine but if they wink-wink nudge-nudge from the CEO they know, it's their duty too. The waiter in your scenario, if the govt can convince the jury he knew it was nonpublic, inherited the duty from the executives he heard the info from.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wait...this dude has hiphop beefs?!
Did you miss the whole Wu Tang thing? He bought an album from Wu Tang, with only one album in existence. He tweeted that he doesn't like Wu Tang, but bought it to keep it from the people. Wu Tang claims the auction was done blind, and only after the fact did they know it was him. Since then, various members have come out against him, but no one's returned their money. As an Analyst pointed out, with record deals being the way they are, and downloading, that's more than they would have netted with the general public.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
It's also a career where you've dedicated your entire life since you finished HS and aren't going to be what's considered wealthy until you're around 40.
Right, as opposed to all those other careers that you dedicate your life to after high school and aren't going to be considered wealthy, ever.

Breaking news: People work after they get out of high school. (most) Doctors make more money than most people.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not sure what the tylenol has to do with anything, but the Dr. doesn't see any of that. Also, for a lot of hospitals the number of people that actually pay can be below 50%, then you have malpractice insurance, etc. and the Dr isn't actually taking home anywhere close to $300 an hour. It's also a career where you've dedicated your entire life since you finished HS and aren't going to be what's considered wealthy until you're around 40.
I think by 40 you really mean about 30. Unless you're postulating that doctors have 14 year residencies.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Right, as opposed to all those other careers that you dedicate your life to after high school and aren't going to be considered wealthy, ever.

Breaking news: People work after they get out of high school. (most) Doctors make more money than most people.
Doctors getting out of school today make less than they did 10 years ago. Corporate America saw the medical industry as the fat cow it was and invaded about 10-15 years ago. They used economies of scale and actual for-profit business strategies to cut the Doctors down somewhat. Doctors still make good coin, but it is going down now...Doctors are more often employees in practices (well compensated ones), but it is getting to be much more rare that they are owners/partners. Medical practices are now run like businesses and the decisions are for-profit...With the associated cost savings and cutting of the fat.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think by 40 you really mean about 30. Unless you're postulating that doctors have 14 year residencies.
They start making doctor money in their early 30s (usually). As others pointed out, not all doctors make a massive salary. So if you make $100k-150k and have like 8+ years of student debt, saying they won't be "well-off" until they are around 40 seems pretty realistic to me.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Cad is assuming their rich parents paid for all their schooling.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Or like 6 of my direct in laws I see twice a week are doctors and I know exactly how their pay and careers work. Yes, maybe that.
Settle down, Dr. Cad. It was a joke.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
They start making doctor money in their early 30s (usually). As others pointed out, not all doctors make a massive salary. So if you make $100k-150k and have like 8+ years of student debt, saying they won't be "well-off" until they are around 40 seems pretty realistic to me.
Yes, this is what I was getting at. You start getting out of the massive debts and start being well off/wealthy depending on other factors closer to 40.