NBA 2012-13 Season Thread - Crown The Heat!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Think I'm in love with CP3. Favorite player in the league (next to the ghost of Dirk). Not sure if the Clips can pull this comeback off, but they are making a run at it.

EDIT** Rusty Buckets is still the biggest douche nozzle in the league as well.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah CP3's career isn't nearly as appreciated as it should be. I've posted this before but I really do hope he ends things with a couple rings because there aren't too many PGs that have played the game that are/were better than he is.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Stockton for life.
Ya, that's a tough call but CP3 is far and away the best PG of this era (or the last era for that matter - Jkidd, AI, etc). He's probably the 2nd player I'd take if starting a team today, maybe 3rd depending on the other pieces.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
We had this argument over on FoH and I think it boiled down to CP being better but at least not yet having anywhere near close Stockton's career. 5 of Paul's last 6 seasons are at an all time elite level. And the 6th one was really good too but he was injured. Now does CP end up with a 16+ season career of very good play? Who knows...honestly probably not. Most people don't do that. But Paul's 5 yearsarebetter than anything Stockton had. Their careers can't be compared right now but Paul is a better talent.

He's also having his best year yet this year despite injury concerns slowing him down a bit in the past.

Anyway, that comparison doesn't really matter. Regardless, Paul is an all time great he's just overshadowed by Lebron and the fact that he had to play most of his career in New Orleans. And I agree that he's the second best player in the league right now.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
It's basically Magic, Isiah Thomas, CP3, Stockton, and Nash for best PGs of all-time. I'm just glad people have stopped trying to say that Deron Williams is on the same level as Paul.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
your missing spots for gary payton, bob cousey, oscar robinson, clyde fraizer all of whom i'd put ahead of steve nash based on defense

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
jason kidd???

Sick defender for most of his career and one of the best "floor general" type PGs ever.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I think all of those guys are a tier below the 5 I listed. To be fair, though, if I really broke it down...Magic, Thomas, and CP3 are the top 3, in some order. Then I'd let people argue for any of the rest after that.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Oscar Robertson not in that tier? Really?
Is he considered a PG? He was always more of the point forward type, playing SG or SF usually, I thought. But if we're classifying him as a PG, it would be hard not to include him.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah Oscar wasn't a pure PG and played in a era that makes him really hard to compare to modern day players. It's similar to Wilt, who maybe was the best player ever, but also just happened to be dominant because of the time he played.

I think Djay's original list is spot on. Kidd at his peak was just as good as Nash but had nowhere near the long term consistency. Payton was a great defender, but so is CP3, so was Stockton and Isiah. The Glove doesn't touch these guys offensively and while Nash won't ever be known as a defender, he's quite possibly the best offensive player the game has ever seen.

Isiah is the one guy on the list I think could fall, but I totally agree with Magic, Stockton, CP3 and Nash as the top 4. Isiah is right up there though so he's certainly not a bad choice for #5.

The other guys? I think era distinction holds up. Oscar wouldn't average a triple double today. And Wilt wouldn't grab 30 boards a game.

MAXPOWERS_sl

shitlord
The only issue with CP3 is larger PGs tend to have an easy time backing him down... While the elite PGs are probably the most fun players to watch, they arent as needed to build a championship team anymore.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I know almost nobody cares about this game, but TOR/GS is really exciting. They're going back-and-forth and Gay/Bargnani are lighting it up.
I was meh about that trade when it happened, but it really was what the Raptors needed...and it complements the Lowry acquisition. Derozan isn't as bad now that the best perimeter defender isn't always on him (although he still goes into I'm-shooting-no-matter-what mode). I still want them to miss the playoffs so OKC gets a low lottery pick this year instead of a high one next time we miss the playoffs, but I really like this team going forward, especially if Valanciunas makes a leap next year.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Gay's barely above 40% from the field this year and since going to Toronto he's at 38. That isn't a good player. He's certainly capable of putting together hot streaks, but by and large he isn't a player that helps you win. I said it before earlier in the thread but I would have just kept Ed Davis.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Almost every game GS plays is really exciting. High powered offense with a poor defense. Leads to fun offensive shootouts. Glad the awful road stretch is over for the Warriors. 15 of the remaining 21 are at home.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Is he considered a PG? He was always more of the point forward type, playing SG or SF usually, I thought. But if we're classifying him as a PG, it would be hard not to include him.
didn't magic johnson play alot at forward?

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Gay's barely above 40% from the field this year and since going to Toronto he's at 38. That isn't a good player. He's certainly capable of putting together hot streaks, but by and large he isn't a player that helps you win. I said it before earlier in the thread but I would have just kept Ed Davis.
And I agreed with that at the time...pretty sure I actually said it first. :p You can throw any numbers at me that you want, but Toronto has been a better team since the trade. We'll see if it lasts, but as you pointed out...he's below his season average in shooting and the team is already playing better. Imagine when he goes on a hot streak to get that average back in line!
wink.png

Djay

Trakanon Raider
didn't magic johnson play alot at forward?
No. Well, I guess it depends what you mean by a lot. When he had his last comeback, they played him at forward which was just sad and he'd line up there on some possessions. But nobody considers Magic anything but a PG despite his famous game in the Finals where he started the game at Center. :p There's a difference between Pippen and Lebron, who brought the ball up the court as forwards...and Magic who was a PG.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Almost every game GS plays is really exciting. High powered offense with a poor defense. Leads to fun offensive shootouts. Glad the awful road stretch is over for the Warriors. 15 of the remaining 21 are at home.
I need to look at getting tickets next time I'm sent up there for business. I've heard that the crowd up there is pretty amazing. I wonder how close the train from Mountain View will bring me to the stadium.