NBA 2016 Off-Season Thread

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You think Wade should forget agreements he made with the heat to restructure for IOYs down the line. BC of some endorsement stuff that really has no bearing on why he got dogged. Even if his endorsements did go up(can you prove this) That doesn't exempt Miami from not paying him what he was owed.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Wade volunteered those cuts.
You think he just walked in and said take my money without getting a sob story from management (Pat Riley) LOLOL, give me a fucking break. I'm sure the Heat over the years treated him like he was the face of the franchise and family and after taking less a few times they let him walk over what 6 or 7 million. Any new players going to the Heat in the future now know up front it's all dollars and cents with the Heat.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
For some rings and players he respects? why not, now it's not about rings or respect it's about money, that's why he's gone.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
fanaskin.. I'm the biggest heat homer ever, and I think they fucked him. Yes, he got more exposure and whatever, that's irrelevant. Their deal was not 'take less money since you'll make it up in endorsements when we win the finals'. There was NO guarantee that they would win a bunch of rings when he agreed to take less money. He agreed to take less so they could sign Bosh and James, under the promise from management that they would pay him back more on future contracts.
They went back on their word because he's old now and they know no one else will pay him what they said they would. I think he's entirely justified in leaving, though I'm sad to see my favorite player leaving my team, I do not blame him one bit.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
As a heat fan I don't know how I feel about it. I think they should have paid him, but I also understand that this is good for the future of the team. I don't think it'll affect them too much if they're winning. If Winslow and Jrich develop well, there's going to be a free agent that'll forget what happened and sign with Miami. I don't think it hurts them as much as long as contending teams are assembled.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Atlanta talked Millsap trade with Raptors. Now that's a really good trade if raptors pull it off.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Atlanta talked Millsap trade with Raptors. Now that's a really good trade if raptors pull it off.
Haven't heard this. Who are the Raptors supposed to be giving up? Patterson, Ross, and a prospect?

Edit: I found something by Lowe that said they talked, but no specific players. Doesn't really matter since he signed with the Celtics anyway, but would be interested to know what they wanted in return.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know when you guys called is about Noel, Ross and Joesph were on the table. I would have wanted the 2 first you own next year too tho. Not sure that's enough to get Milsap but who knows if they looking to rebuild. But it's also possible that you guys talked 3 team deal where Noel and a player/pick went there, we got the picks and players and you guys got Milsap

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
You think he just walked in and said take my money without getting a sob story from management (Pat Riley) LOLOL, give me a fucking break. I'm sure the Heat over the years treated him like he was the face of the franchise and family and after taking less a few times they let him walk over what 6 or 7 million. Any new players going to the Heat in the future now know up front it's all dollars and cents with the Heat.
So, it was Wade, Bosh and Lebron... and Riley?... all hanging out because they were friends talking about playing together and all agreeing to take less pay than going other places so they could win 6 straight championships.

When the Lakers agree to over pay an aging Kobe it's a terrible idea even with being the face of the franchise and leading them to championships, etc. But when the Heat don't agree to over pay an aging Wade, it's also a terrible idea? Interesting logic.

And I thought the Heat didn't have the ability to even offer Wade what he was asking, that he was getting and subsequently taking higher offers than the Heat could even make. Where they supposed to actually clear cap space offloading talent just so they could pay Wade based on gentleman's agreements for years past that would cripple their current and near future prospects. The truth is all the cynical asshats were right about the Lakers and Kobe, it was a terrible idea and even as a Kobe apologist he shouldn't have been so willing to cripple the team just so he could limp around a few more years. Heat and Wade should have learned from the Lakers and Kobe debacle.

An aging star went for a cash grab and to a team that gives a better chance of winning and chose a pre-basketball home town over a basketball home town. This is only a big enough deal worth talking about because people need shit to over react to so they can call other people retards on the internet.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
He agreed to take less so they could sign Bosh and James, under the promise from management that they would pay him back more on future contracts.
They went back on their word because he's old now and they know no one else will pay him what they said they would.
This is a terrible basis for contract law. Maybe he should have had a "feels" contingency written into his contract so he had better recourse if the Heat were suddenly legally being big ol meanies.

I think he's entirely justified in leaving, though I'm sad to see my favorite player leaving my team, I do not blame him one bit.
Can't it also be possible the Heat are entirely justified in letting him leave, though? Why does it have to turn into a WWE script? Why can't it be that the situation just didn't work out, and honestly was doomed to not work out after the Heat didn't win 6 in a row and their attempts to rebuild were met with too many injuries.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll be gushing about Ben Simmons for a long time to come. Dude just has it. He's going to be a highlight machine.

I really like Ingram but the people here who wanted to pass on Ben for him are already eating their words. He does so many things on the court.

I'm still loving that for a day the Celtics felt like they had a chance(even tho I still think they are average at best) until Durant joined GS. My Ainge hate is strong after the draft!

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I'll be gushing about Ben Simmons for a long time to come. Dude just has it. He's going to be a highlight machine.

I really like Ingram but the people here who wanted to pass on Ben for him are already eating their words. He does so many things on the court.

I'm still loving that for a day the Celtics felt like they had a chance(even tho I still think they are average at best) until Durant joined GS. My Ainge hate is strong after the draft!
Dude still finished 75% of his plays in college at the rim, so he certainly has some work to do to become a better offensive player. But I am with you, the guy is just too talented. He is a playmaker & if he can develop a jump-shot, dear God.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Disappeared from the party for awhile... I am happy with Dallas' "Plan Salvage". Sure, Barnes is overpaid, this isn't shocking. At least the guy is young and a decent player, although he has a ton of work to do to ever become a Top 3 option offensively. Bogut is a really solid pick up, dude has injury issues but Mejri & the rookie AJ Hammons should be able to hold down the fort. The Seth Curry signing is a fucking steal & the guy has some legitimate talent. Should help us compete for a 4-6 seed.

That being said, I am a hardcore sports fan as are most of us here. Why the fuck would a casual sports fan ever watch a regular season basketball game? I mean, I'll tune in to see how the young guys progress (Anderson, Hammons, Barnes, & Curry). But there is really no absolute fucking chance for anything close to a title. Can't wait to watch GS run through the league, while the Cavs rape the East. I admire KD's unselfish to a degree, but hate the teaming up. It just, I don't know, kinda sucks. GS is just in perfect position for a few years. Then again, I guess the NBA has always been ran by "super teams/dynasties".