New Progression Server confirmed

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I almost think that if DBG instated the Prison Server concept into EQ1 it would inadvertently merge like 80% of the EQ population onto a single server.

Arandris_sl

shitlord
Maybe that's their plan so they can close down the rest of the servers and funnel more of the money from Everquest to H1Z1 or EQ Vaporware.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I haven't been on in two weeks due to moving. Had 50 rolled back on me twice before I had to pack it up to move. Is pohate a shitshow? I want to get them gears once I get a new desk and can set up my PC.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
Not sure if other folks are aware of this but Holly Windstalker has been having meetings with Lax (MQ2 dev). She's apparently promoting MQ2 as a 'good 3rd party tool for the eq devs and players".

Also claims that they (SoE/DBG) have known for a long time exactly who uses MQ2 and when but they ignore it unless they are playing unattended. (Not sure I believe this one).

DBG and MQ2
Unless things have changed over the last 10 years Lax was persona non grata to the rest of the MQ2 devs when he wanted to make money off it and then started lavishsoft. ISX being pretty much the same as MQ2 but could span multiple games as that was his goal with the platform. Granted now it seems they are all making money off MQ2/ISX so it's a moot point.

EQmule isn't lax...unless my memory is off.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That thread went bye-bye... any reddit link or something for a continuation/new link?

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Unless things have changed over the last 10 years Lax was persona non grata to the rest of the MQ2 devs when he wanted to make money off it and then started lavishsoft. ISX being pretty much the same as MQ2 but could span multiple games as that was his goal with the platform. Granted now it seems they are all making money off MQ2/ISX so it's a moot point.

EQmule isn't lax...unless my memory is off.
Yes I think you're right kythik. To be clear it was me who assigned the name Lax to it - he wasn't actually mentioned at all.

Vaclav I took a couple of screenies of that chat but I cant get at that PC for 36 hours. I'll try remember to post them on here. There were two main ones - one was of a conversation involving Holly Windstalker in chat and one which appeared to be from the MQ2 foums. EQ_Mule was very much taking a stand that MQ2 is an open source piece of software and they don't have anything in it (vanilla MQ2) which breaks the rules, which seems a reasonable line to be taking if they want DBG approval.

On the other side of the coin it wouldn't surprise me if DBG devs get the info they need to flag people using plug ins that break the rules. Prison server in place and DBG devs able to monitor illegal use of MQ2 would be an 'interesting' situation. Holly Windstalker seems one smart cookie in this one.

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
Lol at the drama. Croak on Lockjaw was on a huge tirade in General that unguilded players aren't allowed to do Plane of Sky. He wants FFA days where no rotation guilds can go. Besteva offered to go with him to get quest gear with her 30 mage box army. Croak currently refuses to sell idols until Sky is open to the unguilded and he's banned Faceless members from buying from him due to rule breaking.

Vaclav

Lol at the drama. Croak on Lockjaw was on a huge tirade in General that unguilded players aren't allowed to do Plane of Sky. He wants FFA days where no rotation guilds can go. Besteva offered to go with him to get quest gear with her 30 mage box army. Croak currently refuses to sell idols until Sky is open to the unguilded and he's banned Faceless members from buying from him due to rule breaking.
To be honest, he's been annoyed with Faceless for whatever reason for a while now - he's one of my oldest friends (and oldest international friend, period) from EQ - and the few times he's been in a visibly bad mood he's been venting to me about Faceless in general or Yawgmoth specifically. [Or Theking - but those venting included Faceless and Yawg are seemingly buddy-buddy with him, Yawg I remember stating Faceless get a discount from Theking or some such]

And he's no doubt frustrated that getting his Sky crowns will be gouged or problematic entirely due to the rotation.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Was fun to watch him and theking get in their little childish pissing matches in chat over pricing of something.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
Yes I think you're right kythik. To be clear it was me who assigned the name Lax to it - he wasn't actually mentioned at all.

Vaclav I took a couple of screenies of that chat but I cant get at that PC for 36 hours. I'll try remember to post them on here. There were two main ones - one was of a conversation involving Holly Windstalker in chat and one which appeared to be from the MQ2 foums. EQ_Mule was very much taking a stand that MQ2 is an open source piece of software and they don't have anything in it (vanilla MQ2) which breaks the rules, which seems a reasonable line to be taking if they want DBG approval.

On the other side of the coin it wouldn't surprise me if DBG devs get the info they need to flag people using plug ins that break the rules. Prison server in place and DBG devs able to monitor illegal use of MQ2 would be an 'interesting' situation. Holly Windstalker seems one smart cookie in this one.
Funny. I don't mq2 at this point so I am not 100% sure what is active in the "vanilla" build anymore. Granted the improved map, enhanced scripting, and perhaps unstunme among other options were iirc. All of which would seem to be against the eula/tos.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
That thread went bye-bye... any reddit link or something for a continuation/new link?
Didn't save as much of it as I thought but I have the following :

rrr_img_107138.jpg

rrr_img_107139.png

edit : For clarity sake *** = MQ2 but this post is from the official forums so every time you type in MQ2 it comes out as ***

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
pretty sure anyone would be able to change that with some quick google searches and half a brain. You wouldn't even have to fully know how to code tbh. It's opensource after all.

Vaclav

Sounds a mixed thing there - she wants MQ2 turned into something far less powerful (just a handy toolset of functions, nothing gamebreaking) for general access.

I think it's naive of her to expect it to work, but the goal does seem the best way to deal with the problem of it overall.

Titan_sl

shitlord
Sounds a mixed thing there - she wants MQ2 turned into something far less powerful (just a handy toolset of functions, nothing gamebreaking) for general access.

I think it's naive of her to expect it to work, but the goal does seem the best way to deal with the problem of it overall.
I thought it was pretty common knowledge at this point that most active developers have MQ subscriptions? Some of the better QOL improvements over the years have come directly from developers getting to use those tools because of MQ and realizing how much they would improve the gameplay for everyone(Maps probably being the biggest one, by far).

Holly's stance makes even more sense, considering she knows nothing they can do will stop people from using MQ. If she can lessen the impact that it has on the game, and the advantage players get from using it, then its one less headache she'll have to deal with. I'm pretty sure thats the whole reason isBoxer got the nod as "safe", aswell as p99. Those are headaches, in theory, she doesn't have to deal with anymore. Unfortunately for her, TLP 3.0 has been a complete disaster, alot of which stems from people using IsBoxer(And MQ2, lets be honest), and anyone not happy can just go to p99 and play there(Since its now seen support from DBG as "the Emulated servers").

Vaclav

I thought it was pretty common knowledge at this point that most active developers have MQ subscriptions? Some of the better QOL improvements over the years have come directly from developers getting to use those tools because of MQ and realizing how much they would improve the gameplay for everyone(Maps probably being the biggest one, by far).

Holly's stance makes even more sense, considering she knows nothing they can do will stop people from using MQ. If she can lessen the impact that it has on the game, and the advantage players get from using it, then its one less headache she'll have to deal with. I'm pretty sure thats the whole reason isBoxer got the nod as "safe", aswell as p99. Those are headaches, in theory, she doesn't have to deal with anymore. Unfortunately for her, TLP 3.0 has been a complete disaster, alot of which stems from people using IsBoxer(And MQ2, lets be honest), and anyone not happy can just go to p99 and play there(Since its now seen support from DBG as "the Emulated servers").
Yea, aware of the "feature theft" so to speak - I just have my doubts that it'll ever kill off the detrimental uses. Hopefully it does, I just can't imagine it will.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Certain issues like automation will always happen, it's a problem in MMO's generally not just EQ. Other things can be changed and should be changed to put average players at less of a disadvantage.

The only big change I'd like to see is for DBG to improve auto follow and allow players to /follow anyone in their raid. It's really really tiresome to be six boxing and have to constantly correct various boxes as they launch themselves into trees and any minute obstacle within ten feet of me.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Agree Zaide, the /stick command works about 1000x better than autofollow ever did. Reason enough for MQ2 right there.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
I've honestly never used MQ2; is it difficult to set up ? Didn't you used to need a UNIX platform to run it (going back a decade I guess).