NFL 2017 Offseason - Where does Romo go?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I looked at the offensive stats, they can be worse. Goff is garbage, we disagree and that's fine I could be wrong. Gurley is going to see stacked boxes until Goff proves he can beat someone and for the moment he has fewer weapons today than he did last year. The depth at TE and WR should leave you optimistic though for the draft even though they don't have a 1st.
Yeah, lets just completely ignore who controlled the team and the shit for brains TE coach he installed as an offensive coordinator.

Even if Goff is garbage (I think its TBD still, at least he's healthy and can take hits) just having someone with a brain call and design plays is going to improve the team.

But I guess, you "could" be right. I don't share your pessimism.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
You shouldn't be pessimistic, you have reasons to be optimistic, I just don't think they will pan out and you do. I might be more inclined to lean towards better after the draft and who they pick up. If they go WR/TE in rounds 2 and 3 would give me more reason to be optimistic.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Even if Goff doesn't pan out I still don't seeing us being worse. I watched the games last year.

Losing Britt doesn't matter at all to me, guy was a joke. We gained Whitworth and Robert Woods, I'm high on TE Higbee and so are the Rams. I think they do draft TE early because it's an important position to McVay and the draft is deep at TE. I think we'll use more 2 TE sets this year.

So it'd have to be the entire offense being worse when we've improved basically everything except lost a shit head receiver that finally had a decent year.

We also drafted a few receivers last year and they really didn't get much of a chance with our inept fucking coaching. We'll see if any of those guys are worth a shit soon.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Mind you, I am NOT saying we're going to be a good offensive team. I'm saying we're probably not going to be worse.

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
if the Rams want their offense and young qb in particular to play better they need to not change the offense much. And they need to draft for an offensive learning curve. They need a solid o line so that Geoff doesn't get destroyed and gurley can keep them in healthy down and distance scenarios. And they need a third down receiver. Someone with short area quickness for separation (Edelman, Beasley etc..). No qb got great in constant 3rd and 10s, with no safety blanket receiver, while learning a new system annually.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think Robert Woods is a very underrated receiver, and their offense cant be worse.

Having Whitworth at LT and Grob at RT should help their OL immensely. Just need a #1 wr on that team at this point.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Looks like Raiders may get their relocation vote next week. Lining up a presser in Vegas for afterwards.

Stadium would start construction next year, open in 2020. Expected to play in Oakland next year, maybe two. Sam Boyd Stadium and other sites suggested as a stopgap as early as 2018.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
One of the main reasons why the pats have been so good for so long....

1 head coach & ESSENTIALLY- the same offense "style" for basically 20 years. sure it gets modified according to what players they have, but basically the same, just different focus depending....have 2 great TE's -focus the plays more on TE, have great slot receivers and one great TE--focus on those two, have great wide receiver- focus the plays they have on the longer balls to him,,, etc etc.

rams imo should - attempt- to keep the same "style" of offense for the next say 3-4 years that way the players know what to do and do not have to keep learning new stuff every year...and yes a solid O'Line= better offense typically.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
One of the main reasons why the pats have been so good for so long....

1 head coach & ESSENTIALLY- the same offense "style" for basically 20 years. sure it gets modified according to what players they have, but basically the same, just different focus depending....have 2 great TE's -focus the plays more on TE, have great slot receivers and one great TE--focus on those two, have great wide receiver- focus the plays they have on the longer balls to him,,, etc etc.

rams imo should - attempt- to keep the same "style" of offense for the next say 3-4 years that way the players know what to do and do not have to keep learning new stuff every year...and yes a solid O'Line= better offense typically.

The thing I think you miss here is that the Pats have no "style" of offense or defense. It changes from week to week depending on who they are playing. All teams do this, but nobody to the extent that BB does.
\
But that agrees with your greater point that this kind of flexibility requires continuity. It also requires letting a coach choose his players.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lleauric is spot on.

BB attacks teams where they are weakest on both sides of the ball. Seems like everyone would do this but they dont. Some teams are so rigid (hi Pittbsurgh) they will play their style of ball even when its not advantageous (like the stupid 10 yards off the ball zone shit they always play vs NE which never works) regardless of their opponent.

What makes NE and BB so good is that the Pats have a "system" on both sides of the ball and they know exactly what kinds of players and attributes fit those systems. Which makes scouting, free agency, the draft and evaluation a whole lot better since they aren't changing their offense/defense etc, even when they change coordinators. They have guys who can do a lot of things everywhere (see their RBs, TEs and LBs) which allows them to adapt to whatever is the best way to attack. The Patriots love to use a "12 formation" (1 RB 2 TEs and 2 WRs) which allows them to have pass catching threats and run the ball simultaneously since their TEs can also block well. They also will completely change backs week-to-week when they're healthy to attack teams in different ways.

People think BB has a large ego and is an egomaniac, which he is 100% as far as control of his team goes and how its run, but as far as X and Os I don't know of any HC who can adapt on both sides of the ball as well as he can (attack their weakness and take away their strengths and force teams to do something they don't like to do).

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
This is why I criticize head coaches like the dumbass in Atlanta. Loses his offensive coordinator and instead of promoting a tight ends or wide receiver coach, goes outside the system and hires a completely new guy. Now you've got a new language and system to learn, completely retarded. Patriots always promote within and keep the train rolling.

• 1Like

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
for s is why I criticize head coaches like the dumbass in Atlanta. Loses his offensive coordinator and instead of promoting a tight ends or wide receiver coach, goes outside the system and hires a completely new guy. Now you've got a new language and system to learn, completely retarded. Patriots always promote within and keep the train rolling.

Another thing is the Pats rarely hire former players as coaches. Some of these coaches (hi Pittsburg and Rex Ryan) load up their staffs with former players who are looking nice soft retirement jobs. The patriots hire nobodies who dont mind working 18 hour days breaking down film for a chance to break in. I think Rex Ryan had like 20 coaches.

You need coaches that are hungry. Not former star players looking to kick back and show old film to current players about how good they used to be. You think Joey Porter or Leon Lett are putting in half the work of a Brendan Daly or Brian Flores? Those former pros are there because of what they already have done, these guys who have never played in the NFL have to coach their asses off to show they belong.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hoping TJ Watt or Haasan Reddick make it to us in the draft the more I see of these two. Either would be nice.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
19-0, wake me up in February.

It really is looking that way. Especially if they can't/don't mover Butler. For sure they are in the Super Bowl at the least. Just don't see any competition in the AFC. Pittsburgh needs to realize that Tomlin isn't the man. Baltimore really is hit or miss every other year. Denver has no QB. Same for the Titans. Oakland, I just don't see coming here to Foxboro and beating the Pats. KC I would say has the best chance...but between Reid and Smith they will play scared as always.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
None of those teams worry me. Houston came in here and gave the Pats a game for a half. Only time I give a chance to.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
while 19-0 would be awesome sauce,, i'll be more realistic 14-2 reg, superbowl.

Denver gets a good qb, or houston, and those could be 50-50 games.

Also they are playing Atlanta panthers chiefs Raiders saints bucs.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Counts as the 3rd time, Saints tried to dispute that it when they tagged Brees and arbitration or the courts I forget which decided it was the second time because the Chargers tagged him previously.

Washington should trade him if he doesn't want to be there and take the treasure trove Cleveland is willing to pay in draft picks. Though I hope they double down and tag him forever and never let him leave.

If we trade him, regardless of the treasure trove of picks we get, we're worse as a team. Without the QB it's basically starting back at square one. I guess we could get lucky and draft one (although this class doesn't look great), but considering we fired the best talent guy we had for drafting...yeah. Obviously it's a better result than him leaving for what will amount to a 3rd round compensatory pick, but in the end the team will still be worse overall in my opinion. That's how the league is now, either you have a QB who at least has the potential to win you games or you're nothing. And we aren't in the shitty NFC East anymore, nor the shitty AFC South (when it was shitty...I don't think it's going to be that shitty anymore).

Rumor was Cousins would only want to be traded to the 49ers if he was going to get traded. The Danny still has bad blood with Shanahan Little though, so unlikely that would happen.