NHL 2016-17 Season

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Auston who?

The kid who scored 4.

How the hell did you guys give up a 3-1 lead briefly allowing back to back shorties on back to back power plays? Auston's leadership wouldn't have allowed that. U-S-A!

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Why oh why does my girlfriends bday have to be on opening night... does anyone know of a site that shows game replays like a few hours after they air? Can I like pause a stream and get back to it a few hours later?? Halp!!

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The kid who scored 4.

How the hell did you guys give up a 3-1 lead briefly allowing back to back shorties on back to back power plays? Auston's leadership wouldn't have allowed that. U-S-A!

I seem to recall the Leafs losing on a goal that was 100% on Matthews, while McDavid was just like "nope" and made sure the Oil won.

He was pretty ho-hum again tonight, just another three points. NBD.

Merrith

I seem to recall the Leafs losing on a goal that was 100% on Matthews, while McDavid was just like "nope" and made sure the Oil won.

He was pretty ho-hum again tonight, just another three points. NBD.

Helps to play Calgary back to back games. Forgive me if I don't expect them to be a defensive stalwart this year.

You're going to make mistakes in 3 on 3 too, it just happens. Not like the Leafs gave him ANY help along the way. You can't get more Toronto than that. Your dream #1 pick pots 4 in his debut game...and you lose 5-4. No other player scores, and you manage to give up exactly one more goal than he scored. Welcome to Toronto.

Also I was mainly just trolling you with the USA v. Canadian Has To Be The Best player.

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm
Generally concerned about how the Wild looked their first game. Hopefully tonight they are at least fun to watch.

Edit: I'm from MN so fun to watch is the best I can hope for.

Haka

N00b
Mich Marner looks pretty sick. Toronto might not be good this year but they'll be exciting.

I picked up Zaitev and Carrick in my pool, looks like Zaitev is getting fed prime PP time so I hope that works out.

Canucks first goal this season was on their own net. Miller had a 100% sv but didn't get credit for the SO. At least the Sedins are still good.... had the Flames running around for a 2 minute shift, including a vintage no-look between the legs pass from Henrik. I'll be sad when they're gone.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Vesey coming along nicely! Loving the speed and skill foward depth we got going on. Kreider has been on another level, being paired with Mika has been a godsend. If we can just fix our RD, we are gonna be a problem for alot of teams. Wouldn't be suprised if we end up with Trouba by January. Just hope it doesn't cost us too much, especially with Shattenkirk almost a lock come free agency at the end of the season.

I wanna believe Rangers brass have learned their lesson, please make it so.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I know, it's a battered housewife mentallity but Gorton spent the offseason fixing much of what Sathir did to pretty good success all things considered. The key word for this season is development, I can't imagine Gorton going all in on a stupid trade when cup expectations are so low to begin with.

Who knows though, nothing suprises me with this franchise anymore.

Merrith

The Hank window will close eventually, there has to be some pressure to give it a go while you still have him

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The Hank window is closing already, and after a decade of trading away picks, the Rangers prospect system is pretty thin. In a few years the Rangers are screwed and will have to do a full rebuild. Most likely, anyway.

LOL, they haven't had a first round pick since 2012. Look at this draft history: New York Rangers Draft History at hockeydb.com

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, his window is closing. People have been saying that for awhile, I think last year was the last "all in" for Lundqvist's window with the E.Staal trade. I'm fine with that, he'll still be a servicable goalie for years to come. He doesn't need Vezina status to be a cup winner. He just needs his teammates to actually pull their weight and not depend on him to steal games for them.

As for our prospect pool, yeah it's shallow. Like bottom three in the league shallow. Though despite not having a first round pick in 4 drafts, we still have like 5 first rounders in the lineup under 23 and that's not counting Vesey (think he was picked in the 3rd?). We got a lot of young talent besides those 5 so there is time to restock the pond, as long as Sathir stays far far away from the decision making. Jeff Gorton has been really good so far, stop trying to dash my hope!

Merrith

When you play a tired team that played the night before, you have to take advantage. Playing our backup, Grubauer too? Out shoot the Avs 40-18, win the game 3-0 (and could have been worse if not for Varlamov in their net). Ovie 1+1, Oshie a pair of goals. That'll do.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I'm quite thrilled that the Oil managed to get three wins in the first week of the season. Not by like, you know, December.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

I'm quite thrilled that the Oil managed to get three wins in the first week of the season. Not by like, you know, December.

Obviously can only play the teams on your schedule, but we'll see how they do against some better teams. That said, it's nice to see the Oilers play up to their talent level against teams that on paper, they should be better than.