Nine Inch Nails - New album is done

Musab

Molten Core Raider
I just hope my stop isn't so god damn pitiful. I really should have got LA tickets. Btw I really dig this new jam, Find My Way.

Hunno

Molten Core Raider
The whole set has been amazing so far. These faggots with their phones need to put that shit away and start enjoying the show or get the fuck out.

Musab

Molten Core Raider
Man, that remix of The Way out Is Through is nice.
Yeah, I don't understand watching such great shows through a fucking small screen when you're right fucking there.

Hunno

Molten Core Raider
I've had friends do it to show off the next day, sound quality is always crappy, and they get too drunk to keep the video steady. Fuck that, be a part of the the show.

Musab

Molten Core Raider
Find My Way track hit me hard. Bet he wrote it about losing his grandmother. Deep shit, Wakandan.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The start of that show is fantastic. Similar to the start of Stop Making Sense. I'll be at the show next week. Hopefully the crowd doesn't suck like it apparently did at Lollapalooza.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Just saw the show last night. NIN throws down. Amazing show. I hope they come back through town for a non-festival show. An hour and a half was too short.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
What did they play?
Copy of A
Disappointed
Came Back Haunted
March of the Pigs
Something I Can Never Have
Reptile
Terrible Lie
Burn
Closer
Gave Up
Help Me I Am in Hell
The Warning
Find My Way
The Way Out Is Through
Wish
Only
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like a Hole

Encore:
Hurt

Apparently Survivalism was scratched from the set list.

W

Wrathcaster

Just got the leaked album. Quality is a bit dodgy, but can't complain considering it's a leak. I'm sure come Sept. 3 the FLAC versions will be amazing. Whatever you think of the music, sound quality is always excellent.

As for the album, it's been on constant rotation since I got it. Absolutely fucking amazing if you're a NIN fan. My impression at this point is that it's a fusion of some of the older styles, with a little Fragile thrown in, with a little of Ghosts thrown in, with a little of PHM injected. Pretty far off from Broken or Downward Spiral though, however you'd classify those albums. It's very, very bass heavy. If you've ever heard "Even Deeper" or "Me, I'm not," you'll find a lot of similarities which is fucking fantastic in my book.

There is one standout track though, and I don't mean it in a good way. "Everything" is absolutely atrocious as far as NIN goes. It's damn near a Katy Perry song. Not sure what he was thinking or what dosage of prozac he was on when that one was written/produced. More than anything though, it doesn't mesh at all with any of the other tracks. At all. It is totally out of place with the atmosphere of the album, and totally out of place for anything he's ever done. Like, completely different person/band different. It sounds like something you'd hear at a pep rally or cheerleading contest. I just removed it from my playlist and deleted the file. I'd prefer to pretend it never existed.

Musab

Molten Core Raider
This album cements his place as a legendary musician, but what the fuck is track seven doing on this album...

W

Wrathcaster

I firmly believe now that Everything is a complete troll track for everyone trying to get leaks and peg the album early. The best tracks, in my opinion, are none of those that have been released publicly (Came Back Haunted, Copy of A, Everything).

That shit was calculated. There's absofuckinglutely no way a producer/musical genius like Reznor couldn't see how fucking lame and out of place that shit is. If Katy Perry released it, you'd see her magnum opus, or her producer/songwriter's magnum opus. I think it's a giant "fuck you" to all the cunts who can't stand the fact that he's not a suicidal self-hating addict anymore, and that those fucks can't grow up and realize the world doesn't exist in a time capsule.

That's how I'll rationalize that shit, and fuck you to anyone who says otherwise.

For those that got the leak

The album is almost entirely focused on the concept of getting old, changing from a person/thematic entity that made you successful and made people love you so goddamn much. It's him trying to his fans he's not that guy anymore and it's him explaining why. Especially the quasi-religious references (Reznor has stated he believes in god now, though doesn't ascribe to any particular philosophy). It's him recognizing he's fucking married with two kids and doesn't hate himself, and it's him describing the frustration of trying to get that across in the same style he did before musically. That's my take on it, anyway.

The fact that he included fucking remixes to previously unheard songs absolutely blows me along. It's like dude saying, well, I liked the song but maybe the beat or the delivery was off so lemme give it another shot with a fucking awesome remix some dude did before we could even get the album done.