Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
it depends on what you have available as far as controllers go, if you just have DualSHock3/4, Xbox360, X1 controllers the only thing you need is the Pi3(seriously buy a case also), if you have older SNES/NES, or Arcade controllers laying around you want too use, then you'll also need the Controller Board

I would just use a wired Xbox 360 controller or I could use an old dual shock 3. Analog sticks work?

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You don't have to have a controller board for SNES. This works fine: Amazon.com: SNES Controller to Adapter for PC USB: Super NES: Video Games

That will even recognize two controllers. Its not very hard at all. It took way longer to download the damn roms! Analog sticks do work fine.

I got this cable too: http://a.co/iGgPzx6 Only thing was the manufacturer (in China as expected) swapped one of the stereo colors for the video, so you gotta trial and error that.

You can buy and all-in-one kit too: Amazon.com: CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit - 32 GB Edition: Computers & Accessories

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crisco

A greasy jar
I followed the retropie instructions and had it working in a few hours, I would upload roms (all NES, Snes, and genesis) and it all worked out of the Box. I got the pie, a case, and SD card for like $70 total when Microsoft sold a bundle. Very plug and play and I have 2500 games or so on it.

Sad I dont have the case that is the mini NES etc, but fuck that cost.

• 1Like

Crisco

A greasy jar
The issue is always the ROMs.
You can get the roms from your favorite torrent in about 10 minutes if you do 16 bit era and earlier. newer stuff you may have to do other things beyond. if you want to hand pick romps go to vimm.net, they are pretty organized and I never got a bad ROM there.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Mario kart deluxe reviews are looking pretty much as expected. Slightly better than Wii U, all tracks and players, new battle mode much improved, online better than Wii U but still basic af.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You don't have to have a controller board for SNES. This works fine: Amazon.com: SNES Controller to Adapter for PC USB: Super NES: Video Games

That will even recognize two controllers. Its not very hard at all. It took way longer to download the damn roms! Analog sticks do work fine.

I got this cable too: http://a.co/iGgPzx6 Only thing was the manufacturer (in China as expected) swapped one of the stereo colors for the video, so you gotta trial and error that.

You can buy and all-in-one kit too: Amazon.com: CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit - 32 GB Edition: Computers & Accessories

That all in one kit sku rocks. Thanks so much!

So basically I just throw that all together. Does it come with the software? I am assuming NOOBS is the OS? Do I need to download Znes or anything on to it or is that all on the Noobs software? Just download roms and off I go?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Sorry just realized I should probably take all this to the retro gaming thread.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Sorry just realized I should probably take all this to the retro gaming thread.

Well if we're using hardware generations as the standard, the Switch discussion should get moved to the retro gaming thread too.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

I got generic as hell 2x for 12$ ebay USB controllers for my retropie setup - they are okay..nowhere near orig SNES quality, but they get the job done and your old nostalgia brain will trigger holding it :p

• 1Like

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I got generic as hell 2x for 12$ ebay USB controllers for my retropie setup - they are okay..nowhere near orig SNES quality, but they get the job done and your old nostalgia brain will trigger holding it :p

You can buy a NES Controller -> USB adaptor to use an official pad. I have it for my RPI and works great.

-edit-

Just saw you said SNES. I assume there is one for SNES as well.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ut,

Here's your one stop shop for all your questions including an amazing and sleek OS for retro gaming. Has tons of tutorials.

RetroPie

That USB I linked is for SNES, Tenks.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The (bait &) Switch launched 2 months ago now and it only has two games worth owning... both of which are WiiU games: Zelda- BotW & Mario Kart 8 (4/28/17). Anyone with half of a functioning brain has to admit that is a problem. Couple that with the fact that there is nothing new or exciting on the horizon till the holiday season and I cannot imagine why anyone would waste their money or time with this joke of a system.

The only Nintendo product that slightly interests me is the SNES Classic, because I am too lazy to deal with emulators.

• 1Like

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
The (bait &) Switch launched 2 months ago now and it only has two games worth owning... both of which are WiiU games: Zelda- BotW & Mario Kart 8 (4/28/17). Anyone with half of a functioning brain has to admit that is a problem. Couple that with the fact that there is nothing new or exciting on the horizon till the holiday season and I cannot imagine why anyone would waste their money or time with this joke of a system.

The current lack of exclusives is certainly retarded, but I have no regrets about my purchase. Zelda on the Switch looks and plays much better on my big TV than the Wii U version did, and being able to simply undock it and continue to play away next to my wife on a screen with a better resolution than a Commodore 64 (hello, 3DS) is surprisingly great. I also have a backlog of games to finish that could cover the surface area of a small mountain, so I'm not the person to get all worked up about a pathetically small library. I'm getting out of it what I expected, and perhaps even more since I didn't think I'd be enjoying it in portable mode nearly as much as I am.

spronk

FPS noob
if you really want a switch (and you shouldn't) gamestop has them in stock and best buy and target will be selling them this friday alongside the MK8 Deluxe launch

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah the library is pathetic. To be expected with a new console. What's more pathetic though? Isn't a small launch line up with no reason to get it. (The Wii U version of Zelda played just fine - no need to fork over $299 for a shoddily produced early access piece of hardware) The real pathetic reasons not to get this is the lack of a functional standard online system, Indie games that have been out for years coming to the switch with double the price tag with no additional value prop (Cave Story lol) No Virtual Console, No universal shop to transfer purchases of VC from previous systems, No VC at all, and no apps on the portable which is also standard. Whether that last part is used or not, doesn't matter. It's like selling a car without a radio in it at this point. Oh and let's not forget charging a subscription to play online which only lets you keep one retro game a month and then you have to buy it. Sure, it's less expensive. It should be. The point is it's just another value proposition that has been a standard for over 10 years that Nintendo can't get right oh, and 3rd party support will be laughable.

It doesn't even matter to get upset about it anymore. Nintendo is backwards, won't change, so I just won't buy it. Neither should anyone else.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Virtual Console and streaming apps will be out before Holidays/Mario Odyssey (aka the real launch), no doubt about that. Despite lacking those for now, it's still the best portable gaming experience available and is selling out as much stock as they can deliver to stores in US/Japan/Germany/etc. It's also going to get Pokemon and Monster Hunter. There's zero chance this thing won't outsell the Wii U by the end of 2018 if it's getting the next Pokemon.

It's going to have a better launch year lineup than PS4/XB1/Wii U had even before 2017 is over, which isn't saying much.

If anyone is looking for fun games worth playing outside of Zelda - Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, Snake Pass, and Fast RMX have been great. If you have friends or family members, definitely get Snipperclips - probably the most fun 10 hours of gaming I've had this year was playing it with family during Spring Break - and I've played Zelda/Horizon/Persona 5 so far in 2017. Puyo Puyo Tetris and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe both come out this week and both got extremely good reviews.