Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
There's zero chance this thing won't outsell the Wii U by the end of 2018 if it's getting the next Pokemon.

qft. this is probably why Nintendo has been half-assing so far. they know Pokemon will be a killer app no matter what they do to fuck things up before then.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I disagree on it being the best portable by value standards. The only reason this is the case currently is if you want a portable Zelda. Other than that, 80-90% of every other game being launched this year to expand it's library are indie GOTY ports which have zero positives graphically over the originals, yet sell for double sometimes triple the price.

The best portable right now from value to library is still the 3DS XL.

It will be the best portable in 3 years when it has a library. Today? It is not.

For me? I am past the days of paying $300 for an underpowered machine with tons of issues from alpha stage console release to value points to the consumer; to also buy overpriced indie games in "Definitive HD!" when they look like this anyway and I can get the same exact graphical outlay and game on a 3DS for half the cost.

61kU7B2SOVL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
No one is talking about "value" though. If that was the case then the PS4/XB1/Wii U/3DS were terrible value consoles compared to their predecessors for the first 1-3 years of their life when they didn't have libraries worth a damn.

Not to mention the 3DS doesn't have some of these indie games getting ported so that's a moot point. It couldn't run an indie game like RIME or Snake Pass. It can barely run some of it's current flagship titles like Pokemon Sun/Moon and Monster Hunter XX.

Cave Story is a terrible example - the people in control of that game port it to literally every platform imaginable, regardless of specs.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Claiming that the 3DS is currently the best value may be mostly true at the present minute, but that statement isn't really useful. Of course its library is vast in comparison to the Switch's. It's had over six years to build up to its present level. The Switch hasn't even hit the two month mark yet. I've got the latest version of the 3DS XL, and the Switch in portable mode is leaps and bounds better. It's not even remotely close.

I stopped buying DVDs the instant I bought a Blu-Ray player, even though the Blu-Ray library was minuscule in comparison. I feel the same way about this. It's currently overpriced and the library is tiny, but once both of those things change it'll be far from the shit heap that its detractors are calling it.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So the same as Shovel Knight and Binding of Isaac?

And they should be talking about Value. And even on launch: PS4 Xbox 1, etc had standard online subscription value adds with free games. Powerful consoles, and standard apps and online functionality which has only gotten LOTS better which lives on the console. Everything with this horrid thing got taken back 4 notches. Hell, even MS lets you re-download games you bought for the 360 from their market if it has backwards compatibility and aren't charging someone again even though there is a cost in porting it to run. Both manufacturers have had a streamlined account system for over 10 years across two consoles and in the case of Microsoft, 3 now, and Nintendo is still dicking around making NES/SNES classics and charging on the VC market for the same damn game gamers bought for the last 5 generations of portables and consoles.

Yes, that holds value.

There is zero reason to buy this piece of shit right now. None. Zero.

In 3 years? Yes. Technically and graphically? Who gives a shit when the majority of the titles look no different than the 3DS versions. You want to talk about Mario Kart, Zelda, and the upcoming Mario game (which I am going to guess will get delayed until next year) yes, 3 stellar portable games that look and feel just like their home based counterparts. That doesn't make it the best handheld in the market. It makes it the most powerful handheld in the market.

If people want gaming on the go and have access to thousands of titles for 50% of the cost of the hardware and software along with that software actually being AVAILABLE, with little to no graphical changes or game play content additions to justify the higher price (The higher price isn't because of cartridges... Laughable some idiot on a journalist web site said that when the same game digitally is also the same price as the cartridge) it's because Nintendo is dicking over their 3rd party licensing fees again.

Nintendo sucks. Period. You know what also sucks? That they suck.

• 3Like

Crisco

A greasy jar
So the same as Shovel Knight and Binding of Isaac?

And they should be talking about Value. And even on launch: PS4 Xbox 1, etc had standard online subscription value adds with free games. Powerful consoles, and standard apps and online functionality which has only gotten LOTS better which lives on the console. Everything with this horrid thing got taken back 4 notches. Hell, even MS lets you re-download games you bought for the 360 from their market if it has backwards compatibility and aren't charging someone again even though there is a cost in porting it to run. Both manufacturers have had a streamlined account system for over 10 years across two consoles and in the case of Microsoft, 3 now, and Nintendo is still dicking around making NES/SNES classics and charging on the VC market for the same damn game gamers bought for the last 5 generations of portables and consoles.

Yes, that holds value.

There is zero reason to buy this piece of shit right now. None. Zero.

In 3 years? Yes. Technically and graphically? Who gives a shit when the majority of the titles look no different than the 3DS versions. You want to talk about Mario Kart, Zelda, and the upcoming Mario game (which I am going to guess will get delayed until next year) yes, 3 stellar portable games that look and feel just like their home based counterparts. That doesn't make it the best handheld in the market. It makes it the most powerful handheld in the market.

If people want gaming on the go and have access to thousands of titles for 50% of the cost of the hardware and software along with that software actually being AVAILABLE, with little to no graphical changes or game play content additions to justify the higher price (The higher price isn't because of cartridges... Laughable some idiot on a journalist web site said that when the same game digitally is also the same price as the cartridge) it's because Nintendo is dicking over their 3rd party licensing fees again.

Nintendo sucks. Period. You know what also sucks? That they suck.

We get it, you hate Nintendo. Can you please stop shitting up a thread you have zero interest in. How about leave until 2018 when you can complain about the library doesn't have COD 6 or any other of the same boring shooters.

• 2Salty
  • 1SJW

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
We get it, you hate Nintendo. Can you please stop shitting up a thread you have zero interest in. How about leave until 2018 when you can complain about the library doesn't have COD 6 or any other of the same boring shooters.

I don't hate Nintendo. I want them to pull their head out of their ass. If you have any recommendations on how to do that without hitting their wallet, I'm all ears.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crisco

A greasy jar
I don't hate Nintendo. I want them to pull their head out of their ass. If you have any recommendations on how to do that without hitting their wallet, I'm all ears.
You are more than welcome to not buy their stuff, but I do enjoy what I have and seen coming available. Comes across like beating a dead horse at this point and keep telling people to not buy their stuff doesn't help.

Believe it or not, I like what Nintendo does and will continue to buy their stuff, and I don't care about Xbox or ps4, to me all those games are rehashes over and over again. Xbox360 was my biggest gaming regret since I started back at NES. That only had GTA that I actually liked.

• 4Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You are more than welcome to not buy their stuff, but I do enjoy what I have and seen coming available. Comes across like beating a dead horse at this point and keep telling people to not buy their stuff doesn't help.

Believe it or not, I like what Nintendo does and will continue to buy their stuff, and I don't care about Xbox or ps4, to me all those games are rehashes over and over again. Xbox360 was my biggest gaming regret since I started back at NES. That only had GTA that I actually liked.

Well, as you talk about rehashes as the switch has rehashes of basically everything for the coming year I can't help but wonder how you think games like until dawn, horizon, uncharted 4, last of us, etc are rehashes. Xbox 360 had some of the best games I have played. Alan Wake, Gears was actually good back then, shit I have so many good 360 games I cannot even count them all.

I am sure at some point the switch will fill a small niche for its fans. But they lost this one finally. And this coming from a guy who has owned everything hey have ever made from home consoles to handhelds.

I am hoping they just turn third party like a majority of people but I doubt It will ever happen.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Nintendo financials for 2016 are out.

2.74 million Switch sold from March 3 to 31, they forecast 10 million sales by year's end and 13 million by next April. Many big unannounced titles still to be revealed launching this year (Pokemon??).

Zelda BOTW sold 3.8 million units in March, eclipsing Skyward Sword in 1 month. 2.76 million copies sold on Switch, for an over 1:1 attach rate.

Siliconemelons

Nintendo financials for 2016 are out.

2.74 million Switch sold from March 3 to 31, they forecast 10 million sales by year's end and 13 million by next April. Many big unannounced titles still to be revealed launching this year (Pokemon??).

Zelda BOTW sold 3.8 million units in March, eclipsing Skyward Sword in 1 month. 2.76 million copies sold on Switch, for an over 1:1 attach rate.

Skyward Sword was shit...

and yeah Zelda was the driving factor for Switch.

• 2Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
They also forercasted 9 million units for Wii U, which was then greatly reduced when it flopped.

These numbers are meaningless. I do find it funny that Zelda on Switch sold more software copies than hardware to actually play them. The more important numbers will be to see what happens over the next 6-9 months with the software draught.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
What drought? They have first party games releasing every 6 weeks leading up to Mario Odyssey, not to mention whatever E3 announcements.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
What are they? Aside from a rehashed Mario Kart and Splatoon, all I see are indie titles and supposed announcements coming at E3. If you think Mario Odyssey will be launching this year you are kidding yourself.

Here is the less than impressive list of games and a hell of a lot of them without release dates at the end. 90% of them garbage I have never even heard of.

Nintendo Switch games list, 2017 release dates and everything we know about the hardware

Also, Fire Emblem Warriors will be coming to 3DS at the same time as switch with no differences.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
That one is a stretch. Hyrule warriors unplayable on 3ds compared to wii u. Imagine FE warriors will also have huge performance issues on it.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
2018. So you will see a price drop by then to $199-249.

However, after the disappointment of XB: Chronicles X, I am not holding my breath for Xeno 2 at the moment :(

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
These numbers are meaningless. I do find it funny that Zelda on Switch sold more software copies than hardware to actually play them.
Not really all that surprising. If you bought a switch it's almost certain that you also bought Zelda. The rest of the Zelda sales likely are accounted for by the collector editions that some people don't open.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
meanwhile nintendo is releasing the 2DS XL on July 28th, $149.99. Comes with XL screen, faster CPU, and C-stick. They must be doing some of that Trump 4d chess cuz I don't get how releasing a new, cheap version of a 7 year old product helps your 3 month old new product.

C-dqUa6U0AEvQi0.jpg

white:

photo2l.jpg

looks sexy tho, much nicer than the switch imo and that price point is killer. wonder if the firmware will be jailbreakable.

• 2Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
meanwhile nintendo is releasing the 2DS XL on July 28th, $149.99. Comes with XL screen, faster CPU, and C-stick. They must be doing some of that Trump 4d chess cuz I don't get how releasing a new, cheap version of a 7 year old product helps your 3 month old new product.

View attachment 135284

white:

View attachment 135285

looks sexy tho, much nicer than the switch imo and that price point is killer. wonder if the firmware will be jailbreakable.

And this is where I tell man o war the ds generation is going absolutely no where anytime soon and Nintendo already knows the switch will fail.

• 1Solidarity