Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Who can? They believe this is somehow a better idea than dropping a traditional Pokemon game in addition to a new Smash Bros. I guess they don't like to make money?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
On the bright side with them announcing ultimate sun and ultimate moon for the 3ds, that means Stars (assuming it's real) will likely be for Switch

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Disappointing but not unexpected. GameFreak has never released right away on new hardware, especially not the 3rd entry of a series - they just aren't going to pass up the current 70 million install base.

There's also the fact that Nintendo already cant meet demand on the Switch so any Pokemon game this early in it's life wouldn't sell as many units as it should, with Pokemon games generally selling closer to 10 million.

I really don't know shit about Pokken, not interested in fighting games.

Pokken is a fighting game.

And Nintendo owns the IP, they can tell them to make whatever they want.

Nintendo doesn't wholly own the Pokemon IP - The Pokemon Company does, with Nintendo owning 33% of that company. The other parts being owned by GameFreak (developer) and Creatures Inc (card game/toys/etc). They don't have complete control, which is why you see GameFreak making games for other platforms in their spare time and TPC licensing out Pokemon IP to mobile developers to make games without Nintendo being involved.

Nintendo does own the trademark of all the actual Pokemon monsters though.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So when Nintendo talked about the Switch getting 3rd party ports from other systems, that other system was the fucking WII U.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Quick, someone offer defense of Nintendo!
Disappointing but not unexpected. GameFreak has never released right away on new hardware, especially not the 3rd entry of a series - they just aren't going to pass up the current 70 million install base.

There's also the fact that Nintendo already cant meet demand on the Switch so any Pokemon game this early in it's life wouldn't sell as many units as it should, with Pokemon games generally selling closer to 10 million.

I really don't know shit about Pokken, not interested in fighting games.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
There's nothing to defend. The Switch could use a Pokemon game, but it wasn't going to come at the expense of the 3DS this early in it's life. At best we would have gotten a port of the game, but it was never going to be exclusive Switch game like the Eurogamer leak said - too much money to be made by releasing it on the 3DS.

Once the Switch has 15-20 million sales by next Holidays, we'll be seeing the next mainline Pokemon generation on it.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
I heard some where that the reason for all these ports, is to help space out having more games to play before releases of new first party games. Since they have consolidated the handheld and console OS is much easier to port. That's why Smash, Mario maker etc. Was also on 3ds.

And I mean really not many people own a wiiu so even though some of these are ports right now they definitely didn't make the money they thought these games would.

I can say I'm staying in a hotel for work all week. Switch is getting some good use. Drunken Mario kart battles.

Not saying that I care about a pokken release but I would expect some more ports while new releases are being worked on.

• 1Like

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm really surprised the Switch isn't more available at this point. Feels like N is missing the hype train on their runaway hit game (BotW) without much more in the pipeline to generate HW sales for a while. Are they terrible at manufacturing HW, or do they think holding back HW is 4D chess strategy?

• 1Like

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Also, Cave Story+ is pre-ordering at $30 for the Switch? Dafuq? A port of a 10+ year old (originally freeware) game that is $15 on Steam (much less when on sale) is 2x marked up on Switch.

• 1Like

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
This shit is going to have Monster Hunter and mainline Pokemon games I can play on my TV. Combining their two development arms into one device is a bigger deal than graphics or any other reason you can think of to skip this. The combined output of their console and handheld divisions will crush any other publisher.

Hahahaha! So the big Pokemon savior that would sell a billion Switches is a fucking fighting game port from the Wii U? And the 3DS will get two new mainline Pokemon games in the meantime?...how's that unified development going?

Not that it matters, these inept fucks at Nintendo still can't get any supply into the system and I guarantee they sold less consoles in May than they did in April because of it.

• 1Like

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Also, Cave Story+ is pre-ordering at $30 for the Switch? Dafuq? A port of a 10+ year old (originally freeware) game that is $15 on Steam (much less when on sale) is 2x marked up on Switch.

Par for the course for every indie game on the damn thing. It's hilarious.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I'm really surprised the Switch isn't more available at this point. Feels like N is missing the hype train on their runaway hit game (BotW) without much more in the pipeline to generate HW sales for a while. Are they terrible at manufacturing HW, or do they think holding back HW is 4D chess strategy?

They seem to be running into component issues, namely LCD screens and NAND flash memory, preventing them from ramping up beyond what they are currently able to get made. Their main supplier of LCDs (Japan Display Inc.) is also one of the major suppliers for Apple, and you can't win vs Apple when it comes to production space.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nintendo's own (conservative) estimates have them selling 13 million units by next fiscal year (March 2018). I don't see how ~15 million is out of the question by Holidays 2018. Their main issue at this point seems to be production, and maybe that's why Nintendo's estimate is so low compared to business analyts - they don't see themselves being able to increase production over that number.

Hahahaha! So the big Pokemon savior that would sell a billion Switches is a fucking fighting game port from the Wii U? And the 3DS will get two new mainline Pokemon games in the meantime?...how's that unified development going?

GameFreak is not Nintendo, they largely operate as a 3rd party studio outside of Pokemon - having unified development doesn't affect them at all. Also, there's only been 1 mainline game since the Switch launched. The fighting game is done by Capcom not GameFreak.

Your other point is why mainline Pokemon isn't coming to Switch yet - the install base is still too small because Nintendo can't produce fast enough.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
don't worry when kids have to choose between Destiny 2, Call of Duty WW2, South Park Fractured But Whole, Gran Turismo, Crackdown 3, God of War, Middle Earth 2, Battlefront 2, Spider Man, Hellblade or Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 most kids will choose Mario

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Nintendo's own (conservative) estimates have them selling 13 million units by next fiscal year (March 2018). I don't see how ~15 million is out of the question by Holidays 2018. Their main issue at this point seems to be production, and maybe that's why Nintendo's estimate is so low compared to business analyts - they don't see themselves being able to increase production over that number.

They will be lucky to sell 20 million in it's lifetime.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Your other point is why mainline Pokemon isn't coming to Switch yet - the install base is still too small because Nintendo can't produce fast enough.

No, it's because every single developer/publisher out there isn't even remotely sold on the Switch, aren't developing for it aside from porting a bunch of shit everyone already has, and are targeting the 3DS base and will continue to do so until the end of time because they know the console sucks. :(

Sorry buddy.

spronk

FPS noob
don't worry switch owners, I'm sure Nintendo's 30 minute E3 pre recorded presentation will have a huge lineup of exciting, innovative new games for you to play

DBpRABSVoAA_BAi.jpg

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Once again, I'm glad I have been playing BotW on Wii U.

• 1Like