Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Siliconemelons

I kinda feel if Nintendo keeps the Switch name they have a more tendency for backwards compatibility - if they give it a new name, less likely so.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sony is the only company that maintains a simple naming scheme. If you say PS1 or PS3 era you know exactly what time frame, every other brand swaps names randomly so remembering details has a time disassociation. Seriously doubt they will call it the Switch 2 or equiv.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They should call it the Super Nintendo Switch.

No. Because dumbfucks like me would buy it. Especially if it had the dark/light grey and purple color scheme.

fuck you. At least it isn’t a Funko pop.

• 1Hodjing
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

They did the Wii and Wii U

Super Nintendo was an advancement of the Nintendo.

That lead to the 64 that was very different, the game cube that was again different and serperate

GameBoy was their longest running until DS started to separate.

Nintendo kind of runs in “ideas” of iterations.

Like the Wii and WiiU are the same type of ideas and iterations of them, the switch will most likely be the same.

Aazrael

Not Switch related but seeing as many here uses/used Nintendo consoles I wanted to ask if all Nintendo DS versions can run flash cartridges or is modding needed for some?

I used to have a DS Lite when they were released and they could run roms on a rom cart for sure. I would like to get a New 3DS XL for some old school Dragon Quest games but they are really pricey so a DS Lite would fit the need as well.

I love my Steam Deck to play other emulated consoles but the NDS games does not fit that well with the dual screens.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I have a Zelda 3DS XL that has been sitting on my shelf for probably 2.5 years untouched. Pretty sure I used an R4 DS back in the day? No idea if that is still relevant and I can't find the R4 card, probably in a drawer somewhere, maybe I can track it down. It is charging right now to see if it turns on and boots up. Used to work perfect, played it a ton on trips and went through a pretty big backlog of stuff. Light was too bright and you can't really make out the Tri-Force on the cover.

IMG_6816.JPG
IMG_6815.JPG

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Crisco

A greasy jar
Not Switch related but seeing as many here uses/used Nintendo consoles I wanted to ask if all Nintendo DS versions can run flash cartridges or is modding needed for some?

I used to have a DS Lite when they were released and they could run roms on a rom cart for sure. I would like to get a New 3DS XL for some old school Dragon Quest games but they are really pricey so a DS Lite would fit the need as well.

I love my Steam Deck to play other emulated consoles but the NDS games does not fit that well with the dual screens.
I purchased basically a mini HD for my ds lite and then rom dumped whatever games on it. Was really simple. The HD fit in the bottom slot and hooked up via USB to my computer for the dump. Will have to dig for my ds to find it to get the name. Was worth it when I had it 10+ years ago or whenever I purchased it.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I was super salty when I traded in my Pokémon X/Y 3ds XL for the Pokémon anniversary new 3DS and for some fucking reason that one wasn’t an XL.

Inque

FunEmployed
I have a Zelda 3DS XL that has been sitting on my shelf for probably 2.5 years untouched. Pretty sure I used an R4 DS back in the day? No idea if that is still relevant and I can't find the R4 card, probably in a drawer somewhere, maybe I can track it down. It is charging right now to see if it turns on and boots up. Used to work perfect, played it a ton on trips and went through a pretty big backlog of stuff. Light was too bright and you can't really make out the Tri-Force on the cover.

View attachment 541990View attachment 541991
I have that same model. Its one of the few I found with a dual IPS screen, which back then I guess made a difference? Its as new as the day I bought it.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Going from the little one to the big was a huge improvement as the range of “working” 3d effect was much bigger and gave me less of a headache

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i have the zelda 3DS as well its super easy to hack with 3DS Hacks Guide although the day after i jailbroke my 3dS i never turned it on again. It sits in my "go bag" along with my vita, cuz i guess in case of a zombie emergency i'll want to play my 10 year old hacked consoles filled with ROMs

they used to even have a free 3DS rom store that loaded in the console itself as part of the eshop but i guess that was broken a long time ago, but it was an easy way to just download all the ROMs you wanted.

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 541990View attachment 541991
if i remember the r4ds did ds games fine, but you needed a r4 3ds cart to play 3ds games

Crisco

A greasy jar

Found my old DS and still kicking like a champ.

Apparently I have a g6 flash. Fits flush with the console and can hold a good number of games. Pretty much plug and play. Not sure if you can still buy it.

Attachments

• 20240819_103359.jpg
    20240819_103359.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Found my old DS and still kicking like a champ.

Apparently I have a g6 flash. Fits flush with the console and can hold a good number of games. Pretty much plug and play. Not sure if you can still buy it.

I have the exact same setup that I gave to my kids. It just recently started to hang on boot with the G6 Flash in it, though. Did a bit of research and no clue on fixes. =(

Aazrael

Crosspost from JRPG thread. But I set up a NDS on the Steam Deck with an overlay. The screens are pretty much NDS Lite size.

Heres trying DQ4.

PXL_20240817_134944409.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
pretty accurate industry insider says switch 2 announcement happening this month, it still isn't releasing till march-april next year though

Tokyo Game Show is Sep 26 - 29th so nintendo could have a short teaser for it then, or they could do it a week early and that lets publishers say their new game will run on switch 2 at TGS

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
They should call it the Super Nintendo Switch.

No. Because dumbfucks like me would buy it. Especially if it had the dark/light grey and purple color scheme.

fuck you. At least it isn’t a Funko pop.

Imagine how well it'd sell if they actually called it that.

"Super Switch" or "Super Nintendo Switch" with grey joy-cons and dark grey/purple/lavender buttons like the SNES. It would FLY off the shelves. More than it will anyway.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
We'll see, I'm interested to see what it will do besides just be basically the same as the first one.