No Man's Sky

xzi

Mouthbreather
Still haven't done the story at all.. lol. Should probably get on that. Just been flying around identifying shit and becoming a space biologist.

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well I managed to fuck up my save game and apparently am forced to start over. I was about to swap ships. I was standing at a crash site and had just dismantled everything in my ship for scrap and took over the new ship. I forgot to transfer inventory from my old ship though. I quickly exited the game (hadn't gotten into new ship yet) and figured I'd reload the game and pop right back in since I just exited my ship and created a new save point. This time though, I get the "E" to initialize and the game starts over.

Not sure I have the desire at this point. I had a loaded 24 slot multi-tool and 43 slot exosuit. Ship would have been at 31 had this not happened. Now back to zilch.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
joe's on point as always. i had a sad moment when he talked about the lack of sand (dune) and water planets :( Man, imagine a sand planet filled with giant worms and valuable spice you have to mine :(

I really liked this video, first time watching an "Angry Joe" review.
I can see where anyone following this game would be quite disappointed, and even angry, for not receiving what was in a lot of the demos. I hope a lot of that promise comes to fruition in the future too.

As for what he says at the end: If you can play this game in small doses then it'll be fine. Also the advancement in tech will hopefully force better space games. These are both my justifications on the game. The tech is awesome and I'm playing in small doses... usually 1-2 hours at a time and I play every 2-3 days. So maybe 10hrs/week just to scratch the exploration itch.

If you want this to be an addicting play 24/7 type game then it's going to sorely disappoint. I really hope they add a lot of the stuff they've shown in the demos and I will also be severely disappointed if it comes with a cost. For $60 I think most (including myself) are expecting free updates/patches at least for a little while.

Sean said a lot of "bullshit" stuff but I gotta believe it was by direction from a higher up (Sony) that forced the studio to gut the game to get some revenue generated. Maybe Sean is a real con-artist, but idk, just seems like they had huge aspirations and couldn't iron out all the kinks. Almost every game designer I've been able to interact with always has grande ideas but execution tends to fall flat.

This game reminds me of the disappointments I've had to endure with the Horizon game, which I never purchased but the tech demo had me hoping!
And then Project Offset which never became a thing:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The review I saw said they did great on the mechanics, they just forgot to add the fun part of the game in.

Center of the universe there's a giant dollar sign.

Last edited:

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I really liked this video, first time watching an "Angry Joe" review.
I can see where anyone following this game would be quite disappointed, and even angry, for not receiving what was in a lot of the demos. I hope a lot of that promise comes to fruition in the future too.

As for what he says at the end: If you can play this game in small doses then it'll be fine. Also the advancement in tech will hopefully force better space games. These are both my justifications on the game. The tech is awesome and I'm playing in small doses... usually 1-2 hours at a time and I play every 2-3 days. So maybe 10hrs/week just to scratch the exploration itch.

If you want this to be an addicting play 24/7 type game then it's going to sorely disappoint. I really hope they add a lot of the stuff they've shown in the demos and I will also be severely disappointed if it comes with a cost. For $60 I think most (including myself) are expecting free updates/patches at least for a little while.

Sean said a lot of "bullshit" stuff but I gotta believe it was by direction from a higher up (Sony) that forced the studio to gut the game to get some revenue generated. Maybe Sean is a real con-artist, but idk, just seems like they had huge aspirations and couldn't iron out all the kinks. Almost every game designer I've been able to interact with always has grande ideas but execution tends to fall flat.

This game reminds me of the disappointments I've had to endure with the Horizon game, which I never purchased but the tech demo had me hoping!
And then Project Offset which never became a thing:

Agree.

Seems like NMS is a great foundation on which a truly exceptional game can be built. The tech is amazing and, now that it's been established, they can add a lot of depth to it to help it reach its true potential. Heck, they could probably just sell the tech to a AAA developer to get a great game out of it.

I also agree that it's kind of silly to villainize Sean. We don't know his motivations behind the things that he's said, and it very much seems feasible that he had the full intention of including everything he had promised at some point but that the many difficulties that inevitably come with developing such an ambitious title led to things being cut. And of course, he was undoubtedly pressured to over-sell the game, even if that meant giving misleading answers to reporters. Not saying he shouldn't get any blame, but I doubt he's a con artist trying to screw people over.

Vorph

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Like the reddit post pointed out though, Sean and co. were still showing videos and demos at E3 and even a bit further into the summer which showed things which there is no fucking way they thought could still make it in at that point. Even the videos on the game's Steam page are very deceptive, which kind of negates the "only people following the game closely all along will be disappointed" argument. Someone with no knowledge at all of the game can go there today and get the impression that a whole bunch of features exist when they do not and may or may not ever.

I'm inclined to agree with Angry Joe. Sean Murray may have started out as a Molyneux with good intentions, an inability to just say no to feature creep, and an inability to properly gauge what is actually feasible if you ever want to release a game, but in the end he turned into a Aliens: CM-era Randy Pitchford. I'm skeptical of the "blame Sony" angle too. I'm sure they wanted the game out the door, but from what I've read I don't think they actually invested that much in NMS beyond a standard publishing deal. If they had, the game would almost certainly have been delayed a few months more to release as a day 1 Playstation VR title imo. As of right now there's not even any plans to make it VR at all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Listening to him on some pre PC release podcasts, the dude just seems like a guy who can't say no to people. By trying to not disappoint anybody he is disappointing everybody. More and more it seems like i am waiting til this is a 20 dollar steam sale 2 years from now.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I also agree that it's kind of silly to villainize Sean. We don't know his motivations behind the things that he's said, and it very much seems feasible that he had the full intention of including everything he had promised at some point but that the many difficulties that inevitably come with developing such an ambitious title led to things being cut.

When you're selling software to investors, you sell your vision. Why? Because they're investing in something that is yet to come.

When you're selling software to customers, you only sell what you have. Why? Because selling what you don't have is a lie.

Selling the vision of a game, as if you've already built it, is the equivalent of selling snake oil. When these promoter dudes lie about their product, it plays out the same way 99.999999% of the time. Here's looking at you WAR.

And of course, he was undoubtedly pressured to over-sell the game, even if that meant giving misleading answers to reporters. Not saying he shouldn't get any blame, but I doubt he's a con artist trying to screw people over.

Being pressured to lie (over sell) to customers doesn't mean he has to. He had a choice and he choice to be complicit.

I'll admit, context is always important, but if he knew he was selling features that weren't in the game, it doesn't matter what his intentions were or the pressure that was on him. He's a liar.

You can spend your time trying to psychoanalyze whether he's a liar because he lied or if he lied because he's a liar, knock yourself out. But, at the end of the day the product he was selling and the product people bought were two different things.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Why are we talking past tense? They are still lying about this game. Go to the home page, go to the Steam store page, or any other place. It's nothing but videos and screenshots of a game that doesn't exist. There isn't a single video from the release version of this game anywhere on any site that is selling this game or the developers main page...why do you think that is? The whole multiplayer issue was just the tip of the iceberg, there are so many features that aren't in the game and that Hello Games has NEVER tried to address it's hard to believe that anyone can think it's anything but flat out fraud. You don't keep talking or showing videos of these things right up until release, and then keep using those same videos to sell the game after release, without knowing exactly wtf it is you are doing.

If this were any other industry than gaming this shit would be flat out illegal.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I like the game for what it is, but the ADD generation that were expecting Destiny meets CoD were never going to get what they were after here. This is a sit down and chill while you explore game, made to be picked up and played in small doses. I get that people feel lied to, but its still a great game for those of us who like a big sandbox where we have to figure out our own way. The tech is promising and I hope this pushes space flight sims back into the spotlight for a while.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
That would have been fine if it had been explained that way and not shown to us to be completely something different with regards to variety, factions, and deeper systems. As it stands? It also would have been fine if it would have been $19 bucks. Since when do we think it's ok to spend $59.99 on a fucking tech demo?

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Price is a flimsy argument anymore. Microtransactions and FTP have skewed everything. You can't even do comparisons. AAA titles now ship for $60 and suck in MTX sales, its obscene.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Really enjoyed the first few hours but it became not very compelling very quickly. I hate myself for buying it. I hope they add a bunch of shit.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am likely getting a different experience of this. I play it on a 60" TV with a really nice surround sound system in my livingroom. Its very immersive for me and I like it in the same way I loved Starflight back in the day. I can understand people not liking it, particularly people used to being led around by the nose in a game.