NVidia GeForce RTX 50x0 cards - 70% performance increase, but AI > you

spronk

FPS noob
only reason i'd want to upgrade from my cheap 2nd hand 3080 ti is i heard DLSS 3 is only 40xx+ but i'm sure there will be a DLSS 4 thats 50x0+ only, and to be completely honest i have no fucking idea how dlss works or how good it is

i mean this looks nice

but i honestly never notice any of that shit in games. maybe if DLSS made tits and asses bigger and juicier. also the only pc game i'm playing right now is final fantasy 7, the 1997 version and i'm sure a voodoo fx card would run that just fine

i'm not even sure what the big next huge PC video game that would demand a big upgrade even is, i play elden ring on my console so not the DLC. Forza Horizon 6 I guess?

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
only reason i'd want to upgrade from my cheap 2nd hand 3080 ti is i heard DLSS 3 is only 40xx+ but i'm sure there will be a DLSS 4 thats 50x0+ only, and to be completely honest i have no fucking idea how dlss works or how good it is

i mean this looks nice

but i honestly never notice any of that shit in games. maybe if DLSS made tits and asses bigger and juicier. also the only pc game i'm playing right now is final fantasy 7, the 1997 version and i'm sure a voodoo fx card would run that just fine

i'm not even sure what the big next huge PC video game that would demand a big upgrade even is, i play elden ring on my console so not the DLC. Forza Horizon 6 I guess?

You blind? You can't notice the difference between 120 fps and 40 fps? DLSS is primarily used to improve performance. Get outta here.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You blind? You can't notice the difference between 120 fps and 40 fps? DLSS is primarily used to improve performance. Get outta here.
Hes not talking about the FPS, hes talking about the RTX bullshit. also what kind of comparison is that really? One of them has dlss on and the other off, the thing that actually makes a difference in frame rate, I mean aside the RTX thing which no one uses anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hes not talking about the FPS, hes talking about the RTX bullshit. also what kind of comparison is that really? One of them has dlss on and the other off, the thing that actually makes a difference in frame rate, I mean aside the RTX thing which no one uses anyway.
You can actually use RTX if you have DLSS on though, while it's hard to use without it on cause it tanks ressources so much which is why it's relevant in the comparison.

My basic understanding of it is DLSS3 is different from the previous one cause it works by generating additional frames inbetween each actual frame, these "half frames" are rendered using their new thing and that basically translates in just doubling the FPS straight up. That said the generated frames aren't perfect and in some places and situations you'll see artifacts and weird ghosting but it's overall pretty small and it's usually offset by having a much higher framerate with everything on(including full RTX).

How DLSS2 worked was by rendering at a lower resolution, then upscaling it without too much loss of quality so it ran better but looked similar(bit worse).

Who knows what they're doing in that regard, but adding a new DLSS4 that only works with the new card would be a way to sell them for sure. As I said above though I'd rather they work on a more general implementation of DLSS rather than the current way they're doing it where it's only supported in a few games. Looking at the supported list I just googled for DLSS3, I don't care about most of the games and it's still really small(only 30ish games)

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
RTX is the special sauce Nvidia pushes to make you feel like you need a new card. I fell for it twice, 2080ti & 3080ti and both times I thought, well that was a lot of money for shiny water and reflective trash cans. I skipped could not afford the 40 series so never got to play with all the special sauces for them.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
20 series was junk and I'm glad I skipped it, but my 10, 30, and 40 series cards were all worth what I paid for them.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If you're paying 1200+ USD for a new card every single generation and fooling yourself into thinking whatever menial upgrade it offers is totally worth it, you are the actual, literal problem.

Not supply chain, not raw materials, not component shortages... not blockchain or mining... consumers like you. That's the actual problem.

• 1Like
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Worf

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
RTX is the special sauce Nvidia pushes to make you feel like you need a new card. I fell for it twice, 2080ti & 3080ti and both times I thought, well that was a lot of money for shiny water and reflective trash cans. I skipped could not afford the 40 series so never got to play with all the special sauces for them.

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you're paying 1200+ USD for a new card every single generation and fooling yourself into thinking whatever menial upgrade it offers is totally worth it, you are the actual, literal problem.

Not supply chain, not raw materials, not component shortages... not blockchain or mining... consumers like you. That's the actual problem.
You realize there's a secondary market for used hardware, right? I sold my 3080 for 120 dollars less than I paid for it after >18 months of use. My 4080 is 40-60% faster depending on the exact game, and significantly more power efficient. Also got ~280 bucks back in credit card intro offers on the 4080.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Hustling Dave Chappelle GIF

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You realize there's a secondary market for used hardware, right? I sold my 3080 for 120 dollars less than I paid for it after >18 months of use. My 4080 is 40-60% faster depending on the exact game, and significantly more power efficient. Also got ~280 bucks back in credit card intro offers on the 4080.
Mashing X here

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mashing X here
If you're not exploiting credit card intro offers for every large purchase, you're either a poor with bad credit or you're just not living life properly.

• 2Seriously?
  • 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What is a credit card intro offer? You literally sign up for cc for an offer and then what? Close the account?

Khane

What is a credit card intro offer? You literally sign up for cc for an offer and then what? Close the account?

If you want to go down that rabbit hole you can google credit card churning. FWIW I did it for a while in my late 20s and it is absolutely not worth the time and effort.

Mist says poors don't do it. It's the opposite, people with actual money will never find it worth doing.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 5 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Not worth the effort to get $200 bucks back on a $1000 purchase? That's 20%.

You can do this 5-6 times within a rolling 2-year window without negatively impacting your credit card score at all, and eventually having more open credit will be a positive for your score.

Khane

It's not surprising you're so disingenuous about the offers, the stipulations, the available credit issues you can find yourself in, etc.

• 3Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's not surprising you're so disingenuous about the offers, the stipulations, the available credit issues you can find yourself in, etc.
I have had nothing but positive impact on my credit score from doing this. Additionally, I continue to receive some great offers on a variety of cards, especially my AMEX cards for Dell purchases.

Put up or shut up:

1710357728999.png

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Salty

Khane

Back when I did it the biggest site for CC churning and Manufactured spending discussion was FlyerTalk. I believe Nerdwallet spawned directly from that community. There were a variety of smaller private communities as well.

When you open these cards, after searching for and finding suitable deals there are often big caveats for the "free points" or cash back, such $5k spend in the first 3 months. This country's banks are known for their predatory lending practices and will often give you a fairly substantial credit limit. If you aren't careful and do this multiple times a year you will affect both your average credit age and get into available credit lines the bureaus assess as risk. This can tank your score if you aren't careful. You need to know to manually lower the available credit on these cards and which cards to cancel and on what time frame.

If you are actively doing this you start to realize the time spent on the activity is far more worthwhile spent on learning or doing something useful, like your career.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
I have had nothing but positive impact on my credit score from doing this. Additionally, I continue to receive some great offers on a variety of cards, especially my AMEX cards for Dell purchases.

Put up or shut up:

View attachment 519542View attachment 519541
No surprise a man pretending to be a woman would also Photoshop a fake credit score. It's blurry, man. Come on, at least try to not come off as a complete sham.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Smuggly

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you are actively doing this you start to realize the time spent on the activity is far more worthwhile spent on learning or doing something useful, like your career.
This is a forum for people who would camp for 73 weeks straight to get an Ogre-Dick Scepter or whatever the fuck you people did in EQ (I honestly don't know.)

Not exactly know for great use of time or valuing it properly.

• 1Truth!