NVidia GeForce RTX 50x0 cards - 70% performance increase, but AI > you

spronk

FPS noob

GYbEwPFbQAAgnNr.jpg

wonder how much a 5080 will go for... $1400?

also kinda wild the 40xx line is 2 years old now

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
At x16 you're talking 64GB/s. You'd probably have to be under some heavy AI workload to hit that, I seriously doubt gaming will need that.

spronk

FPS noob
the GPUs only draw that much heat if in use right, idle like 99% of the time whats the draw like 20W? esp since nobody is bitcoin mining anymore

Xevy

Log Wizard
Doesn't NVIDIA have that issue where during power spikes they can draw like 2x their amount, or is that why the power requirements are listed so high BECAUSE they spike to that?

Fadaar

That guy
Yeah thats crazy. Get fucked if you bought a 1KW PS, you will need at least 1200 now, lol. Fucking space heater, lol.

Christ man I got a 1000W about this time last year along with other internals (i7 13700 + mobo/ram and a 2 TB SSD) to bring the rest of my rig in line with the 3090 I got in 2021. Here i was thinking the PSU would survive the next round of upgrades, maybe not.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Doesn't NVIDIA have that issue where during power spikes they can draw like 2x their amount, or is that why the power requirements are listed so high BECAUSE they spike to that?

The latter, though transient spikes are not just an Nvidia problem.

I recall Steve Burke doing some kind of video stating that most PSU wattage requirements are overkill as long as the PSU itself is decent quality. But given that it's only usually a $10 difference for an additional 100Ws within one discrete family of power supplies, I'd personally rather go overkill. It may be a "waste of money," but given that a good PSU can last 10+ years, the amount of money that you're really wasting is pretty minimal.