Overwatch

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You really do if you're playing hitscan. Now that you can eliminate buffered frames going up to 300 FPS isn't really needed now but you'll still want to be in the ~150 range w/ buff frames removed.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The extra frames really do help if you are making large angular swings in PoV. If I spin 180 in 1/4 second, I get one frame per 12 degrees of turn. That creates large differences between frames and your eyes can pick that up even at 60 fps. The additional framerate, while overkill in most situations, allows you to catch details in the middle of big turns.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Something is going totally haywire with my system, cannot figure it out for the life of me. I've mounted a thing for the PC to be right next to the window, so I've got the GPU temp down in the high 60's low 70's again. In QP, while maintaining 175+FPS, my entire game was graphically suttering to the point that I thought my entire system was going to crash. Like 2-3FPS type stuttering, but the display was saying I was over 170.

I've downloaded some stuff to look at my CPU temp - I'm thinking it may somehow be the bottleneck here. I've messed with all of the g-sync and visual settings and I think I've got the temperature thing under control. This most recent bout was completely unplayable after 5 minutes.

-edit - CPU seems to be in the high 60's with this stuttering occurring. I'm totally at a loss.

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well that was fun, after playing an alt account in platinum ranking for a while, I decided to go back to my normal account which had fallen from 2000 to 1600, ranked up all the way to 2077 which is a season high on that account. It seemed a lot easier after a week or so at platinum. I think I got better :)

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Hadn't really thought about this before, but it looks like the 144hz option in Overwatch draws a bit more load on the GPU. My GPU temp at 144hz has been hovering at 87c, which is causing some stuttering and other issues. I'm running this on a Asus ROG laptop with all the settings on minimum. Just going from 144hz to 120hz has dropped the temp to 80, but I'm still seeing some serious issues. I've also capped my FPS in game to 120, hasn't helped, though.

Anyone have any software/setting/trick type options for making this run cooler? I'm thinking of just placing my laptop right next to my window, but I'm worried about damage from moisture.

I had an asus gaming laptop, it overheated all the time, had it sent in probably 4-5 times in one year and most of the result was repasting or replacing the gfx card. Wouldn't lemon it for me but man thing had great specs but couldnt cool itself off. This one had fan exhaust in the back not the bottom. Model was a G53J, still have it laying on the floor. Before it started overheating to where it'd blue screen, the damn gfx drivers would crash over and over.

I have an MSI laptop now, works a lot better but I'm still skeptical of gaming laptops due to overheating. Desktop ftw.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Kinda feel same way. Bought a Razer Blade last month with a 1060, and the thing is a beast. Unfortunately, the damned thing gets extremely hot and extremely loud when doing any kind of long gaming on it, so it kind of defeats the purpose a bit. It looks cool though, so there is that

ex-genj

Golden Squire
lmao I just did this move by accident

and amazed my buddies in voice chat. Good times.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heian

Molten Core Raider
No issue with my Asus ROG G751JY. Been using for 2 years now. It stay cool and very quiet, I had very few crashes as far as I can remember and play very well everything I have been trowing at it.

I love bringing it downstairs and plugging it on the home theater.

I was using the 200$ wired/wireless Razer MMO mouse for years now. Took me a month to finally train my brain to forget to use those damn side buttons. I got a Deathadder elite. It's a lot lighter than my old mouse and I feel my aim improved by quite a lot.

Tenks

Just ordered a 144hz monitor. This better be worth it boys.

I assume if I have a 144hz monitor and a 60hz second monitor that is all kosher as long as I play OW on the 144? Like I don't need to completely unplug the 60hz, yeah?

Tenks

Alright cool. I figured the refresh was strictly hardware based monitor side and my GPU wouldn't downclock or anything to meet the monitor's refresh rate. Just wanted to confirm.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
You can even see it if you do quick mouse circles between the two monitors - the 144hz captures way more of the mouse movement.

One note - you'll need a Display Port or a DVI-D to make it work - HDMI can't handle it. Just mention because I had to run to the store after getting it because I only had HDMI cords.

edit - Mini-Display Port -> Display Port will work as well.

Last edited:

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I think OW is overdoing it with skin releases. They should focus on 2-3 heroes. This isn't LoL where they have 120 heroes. Seeing 1/3rd of the OW roster get new skins every 2-3 months is fatiguing.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think OW is overdoing it with skin releases. They should focus on 2-3 heroes. This isn't LoL where they have 120 heroes. Seeing 1/3rd of the OW roster get new skins every 2-3 months is fatiguing.

No, though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah when they came out with the summer games I was like oh oh need these rare skins before they're gone.. now they're churning out skins every month.. halloween christmas now this. Capture the flag though? HOW BAH DAH

image.png

my 144hz monitor came with a display port cable.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I, like a lot of people 3+ starts, have no reason for lootboxes any time except during events. Then, during events skins are added incentive to play. I think adding 1/2 the roster with skins is fine. It gives the hardcore something to go for and the casuals do get fucked a little bit, but they just need to make them buy only after the event for their inflated price so people will stop complaining.

If they didn't add all this shit during the events I probably wouldn't even open lootboxes ever. The only reason I do it now is for currency to then use during events to buy skins.