Overwatch

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They should never buffed Bastion. They should have just let him be the newb hero that people move on from when they get better skilled. It's impossible to keep every Hero viable.

It amazes me these changes made it off PTR. Apparently they are throwing up changes on PTR today for him. They might as well just throw them on live.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753425533?page=2#post-36

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback here, everyone. We know Bastion is a big focus for everyone right now. I've been playing online games since they existed and now working on them for almost 15 years. One of the things I've learned about online communities is that change -- any change -- can cause a lot of anxiety. Back when I was working on World of Warcraft, I used to say that if we mailed 500 gold to every player, the community would find some way to be upset about it... because change is bad.

With that said, we'll make some changes to Bastion and put them up on the PTR this morning. We'd love to hear your feedback about those changes when they go up. I don't have details right now because we're still making the changes!

I think it is interesting to reflect upon the idea of what the meta is, what the meta is perceived to be and what the meta should be. When I read some feedback about what the meta should be, I get the sense that for some people that means every hero in Overwatch is picked at the exact same rate (so everyone has a 4-5% pick rate). I'm not sure this is entirely realistic, nor do I think the game is necessarily better if this is the case. It might be and I would love to be wrong about that. One of the reasons that we try to keep all 4 of our game modes viable (I know the community thinks of it as 3 game modes or maybe 3.5) is because different maps and different game modes allow the meta to be more fluid. The more the community pushes us to eliminate maps or modes, the more the hero meta will stagnate. I totally agree that when the meta is too defined (i.e. people only play XYZ heroes) the game is less fun. So we need to watch for trends and adjust as needed.

One interesting thing is the actual meta vs. the perceived meta. The perceived meta is largely driven off of the professional scene and what gets played in tournaments. After those tournaments, really cool reports are written analyzing the pro scene. Those reports go out of their way to say that they are solely reflective of the pro scene and not necessarily representative of the playerbase at large. Yet people cite the pro pick choices as gospel. One thing that I found interesting was that there was a perception based on those reports and in the community that Mercy is never played. Yet according to our stats back during the "3 tank meta" when "Lucio and Ana were the only viable healers", Mercy was the 5th most played hero OVERALL -- and yes, I am talking about in Competitive Play, not Quick Play.

So often, the perception of what the meta is does not match what the actual meta is.

Balance changes can be very difficult to make when emotions run so high in the community. There is outrage if a hero does not get played a lot (like with Bastion or Symmetra). We make changes to make those heroes more viable which means they will get played more. The result is, people need to adjust to playing against Symmetra and Bastion more... and they are more powerful. We cannot just magically make Bastion get picked more so the stats look pretty and not make changes to make him more viable at the same time.

I want to share my personal opinion on Bastion (which is dangerous because I know I am a spokesperson for the game). I play every night. I'm playing both Quick Play and Competitive (I played 2 games of CTF to get my loot box). Over the past few nights I've played with, as and against Bastion. My perception is that he is a little too powerful right now. In particular, in one match I was playing Bastion and the enemy Tracer was trying to hunt me down. The Tracer player was clearly a better player than I am -- a very skilled individual. I relied heavily on my self-heal and the Tracer could not finish me off. But I was able to kill Tracer in recon mode almost through attrition. This part felt wrong to me. But a lot of the feedback I read feels wildly blown out of proportion. Bastion isn't the "I Win button" and he can be focused and countered. When a team is coordinated, he is far scarier than when a team is just playing a pick-up/deathmatch style of play -- and I've witnessed both over the past few nights. I think complaints and praise of Bastion are both valid. I don't think he's perfect yet. But I do think there is a high amount of hyperbole around this particular situation.

In any event, will put some changes up and we're eager to hear your thoughts.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Her ultimate sounds dumb. As in, it'll probably stack with mercy dmg amp/ana amp, but unlike these 2 being in a team together giving you a weird healing setup, here it's tank/heal combo so should be a lot smoother, and once you have both, shit just becomes broken. Maybe they'll make it not stack or stack with reduced efficiency though, otherwise you're gonna see stupid shit with S76+nanoboost+arisa ult just instantly killing people with tact visor on. Rest of the stuff sounds ok. Notably balanced by the fact she has no mobility at all(even lowered mobility when firing) as far as I can tell.

The pull should be especially good at clearing the annoying parts of certain maps where the defending team is on the high ground(castle and route 66 maps for example) since you can probably pull them off the edge if they stand too close, but if they don't they can't fire. Not sure if it's blocked by Reinhardt shield though, I'd assume so, so still need to go through that.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
She seems good. The barrier looks a lot like Mei Ice Wall but with more weaknesses, and the one plus of allowing your team to shoot through it.
The pull is much larger than I first anticipated. It's definitely her signature move. Being able to move opponents is so strong. Imagine throwing it over a pit on Illios.

I like how you can toss a barrier and then use your other abilities, unlike Rein who needs to keep shield up.

Her Ult is whatever, I actually think it's weak. As a tank you won't be able to run behind people to strategically place your ult very much, best you can do is toss a barrier and then Ult and hope it doesnt die too fast. It's much weaker than Rein's Hammer Down imo.

She also doesn't have an insta-kill like Rein's charge.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
She seems completely out of hand and should add to the chaos quite well. lol I doubt i'll be playing her much but looking forward to her in game.

What an insane champion lol

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I just played a match with on PTR and man she's fun as hell. She really changes up the game. I will be playing her a lot.

Edit: omg, I just saw a Bastion heal through Hanzo's Ult on Live. lol!

Last edited:

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Her vacuum orb should really, really change how people play this game. It suddenly makes high ground defense less of a massive advantage. She can just pull people off the high ground. She should really change this game I feel.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I can't tell if she can pull through shields or not, if not then a rein playing highground is still good. I feel like it may get a few seconds added to its CD though

xzi

Mouthbreather
I actually really like those beetle skins. I already decided I'm gonna buy her gold weapon, I really enjoy her on PTR atm

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just hope she is a reasonable replacement to Rein. I absolutely cannot stand playing Rein and sometimes you gotta play him. I find her kit far more engaging.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
It really depends on how people play around your Rein. It's essentially impossible to peak with her barrier because of the long CD but for actually defending or pushing it's not bad. Her mini-grav is probably the game changer (duh), her CC immunity is nice and can counter things Rein can't even stop. Her ult is kind of the big question mark, on the one hand it is a HUGE damage boost, but on the other hand it's kinda random that it is what it is. I would say Rein is still by far the better defensive character, but Orisa is looking like a more mid-range but still defensive tank.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I think she could potentially replace rein on offense but depending on team comps rein will probably always remain king for defense. Orisa definitely shreds mid-range and is not to be taken lightly when pushing into her though. I can already see her defense on Volskaya being insane.

Xevy

Log Wizard
The best about her is being a potential counter to range like Widow/Hanzo/Pharah. I've been wanting a TRULY ranged-capable tank. Looks like she will be a good start.