Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Chris

Potato del Grande
I played EverQuest and the lore makes multi billion dollar retail WoW lore look like garbage lol

Email the Pantheon investors and question their decision, see you in Terminus
Everquest is a dead IP though, if the lore was that good then it would be being utilised for something today.

I am ignorant on Everquest so please correct me and I'll be humble if people disagree with me, but from what I've gleaned from this forum, Brad's team made bare minimum Tolkien/fantasy varient lore with bare minimim D&D/MUD varient gameplay.

It was a success for it's time because it was at the intersection of enough people getting internet and game graphics/technology being good enough to immerse people.

WoW had better IP/graphics/technology/gameplay and murdered Everquest.

Every attempt to revive the IP and gameplay has been stillborn because neither of those things are why Everquest was popular, and the tech conditions are not coming back until virtual reality is viable.

Genuinely please tell me some game design or lore innovations Brad made. All I've seen is people shit on him here for nearly 20 years.

• 1GreNeg
Reactions: 1 user

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
One last parting shot.

If it wasn't for Brad none of your guys would be conversating and hanging around for the last 20+ years on this forum. He started the conversation by saying a ranger goes into a bar. Loading please, Wait. Be grateful, you got to share in his vision of what is a community is.

/Drops the Mic.

If it wasn't for furor nobody would be here either. This is fires of heaven, after all. Jeff bezos used to read noows, thats why he named his info- spewing device alexa, aka alex a, aka furor. When he remarried he found a woman with new model eq like proportions. He sends me emails all the time, usually asking for personal and bank info so he can give me gift cards. One day when humanity goes into space he will be a pirate. Mark my words. He shaves his head because it helps with swimming and he is a man of the sea at heart, just like me.

See, I've got your posting covered, soxxy, feel free to go.

• 6Worf
  • 5Like
  • 2Double Worf
Reactions: 14 users

Siliconemelons

Everquest is a dead IP though, if the lore was that good...

I am ignorant on Everquest ...

EQ lore, at least in the cycle of Classic-PoP (when it essentially ended) is really good.

Everything is repackaged LOTR, JRR is the father of fantasy, so that is not a diss or a negative, but a good thing.

There are hits and misses throughout the lore in EQ but overall it is great, even within classes and races there is good stuff.

The problem was it was not out front, lore in EQ, ironically, was past the general game play - even the epic quests not many people cared or read about it... the friggen Bard epic, you give some insane dude a song and instruments of global destruction created by Mayong, for literally, a cool sword he found. It is a great quest line lol- each epic was quite good... perhaps maybe the shaman one was kinda silly in its lore. Pal was the deepest as it technically started in classic. SK was not bad, it was historical in unearthing the first SK and all that (but was buggled up with an iksar model ghost for a human...) Greenmist sword was the story of the Iksar and Ssra, that was a great line etc. etc.

WoW put the lore more forward and in your face, and it just got stupidly convoluted and horrific as you go along... even BC was bad, WOTLK helped but anything after that- crap. IMO it was because WOW started you as the player out /quickly/ as THE HERO OF THE WORLD from essentially level like 35- EQ lore, not so much, it was always a /group/ and humanity thing. Even until the end, it was a group of adventurers who gained power to surpass the gods, and were about to get the secret to godhood by evil jebus, when time mage showed up and ruined it all. It built up throughout each expansion etc. etc. leading to PoP. In WoW it was EVERYTHING was a huge destroyer of EVERYTHING and only /YOU/ can stop it OVER AND OVER AND OVER... They did good in classic, but after.. it was just getting more and more silly and contradictory.

tldr... someone has to get the bear butt pelts for the shop.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If it wasn't for furor nobody would be here either. This is fires of heaven, after all. Jeff bezos used to read noows, thats why he named his info- spewing device alexa, aka alex a, aka furor. When he remarried he found a woman with new model eq like proportions. He sends me emails all the time, usually asking for personal and bank info so he can give me gift cards. One day when humanity goes into space he will be a pirate. Mark my words. He shaves his head because it helps with swimming and he is a man of the sea at heart, just like me.

See, I've got your posting covered, soxxy, feel free to go.
Honestly, you fucking nailed it. I actually checked to make sure it wasn't a sox post halfway through.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Everquest is a dead IP though, if the lore was that good then it would be being utilised for something today.

I am ignorant on Everquest so please correct me and I'll be humble if people disagree with me, but from what I've gleaned from this forum, Brad's team made bare minimum Tolkien/fantasy varient lore with bare minimim D&D/MUD varient gameplay.

It was a success for it's time because it was at the intersection of enough people getting internet and game graphics/technology being good enough to immerse people.

Every attempt to revive the IP and gameplay has been stillborn because neither of those things are why Everquest was popular, and the tech conditions are not coming back until virtual reality is viable.

Genuinely please tell me some game design or lore innovations Brad made. All I've seen is people shit on him here for nearly 20 years.

Curious what the rights to use EQ lore would be valued at first of all (way north of zero). Second, the original/true Blizzard Entertainment could crush just about any other game dev, which is what actually happened.

Siliconemelons

Curious what the rights to use EQ lore would be valued at first of all (way north of zero). Second, the original/true Blizzard Entertainment could crush just about any other game dev, which is what actually happened.

Buying EQs IP is part of my won the lottto money thoughts

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mr. Sox

Mr. Poopybutthole
The only book Alex ever read was the fifth book in the wheel of time series by Robert Jordan. Robert Jordan was his pen name, and he was a student in 1980s at Campbell College in Bluies Creek. Go Camels.

I am surprised that Alex read the book since it didn't have any pics and big print lettering.

EQ sold for 350 million 8 years ago,

Wow will never be an equal to EQ. EQ was the original and most successful MMO out of the gate. Lesbians and Lolli showed how weak WOW was against new competitions.

FOH was successful in EQ because it was full of Developers like Scott Hartzman. Alex was a master recruiter, using Vivendi money to lure on the fence developers away from SOE after EQ spread itself too thin with the other gaming projects in the 2000s and departures from the company. There were some big guilds other than FOH like Drow, mithril legion, Legion of Steel, Township rebellion, and afterlife.

Where's furor name in the lore of WOW. Now.

Last edited:
  • 3Moron
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard

yerm

The only book Alex ever read was the fifth book in the wheel of time series by Robert Jordan. Robert Jordan was his pen name, and he was a student in 1980s at Campbell College in Bluies Creek. Go Camels.

I am surprised that Alex read the book since it didn't have any pics and big print lettering.

EQ sold for 350 million 8 years ago,

Wow will never be an equal to EQ. EQ was the original and most successful MMO out of the gate. Lesbians and Lolli showed how weak WOW was against new competitions.

FOH was successful in EQ because it was full of Developers like Scott Hartzman. Alex was a master recruiter, using Vivendi money to lure on the fence developers away from SOE after EQ spread itself too thin with the other gaming projects in the 2000s and departures from the company. There were some big guilds other than FOH like Drow, mithril legion, Legion of Steel, Township rebellion, and afterlife.

Wheres furor name in the lore of WOW,

Alexsrasza was named after furor aka alex. She is a red dragon because alex has rosacea and is also red faced. He was involved with blizzard from the beginning. Thats why he was in eq; research.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mr. Sox

Mr. Poopybutthole
I had a whole zone named after my bard surname, Windsong's Sanctuary. Furor had a low-level spell named after him. JEJ years ago, told me about how they screw over warriors' ability to tank verses monks. Did the sit-in work Alex?

• 1Moron
  • 1Pants on Fire!
  • 1Potato

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I had a whole zone named after my bard surname, Windsong's Sanctuary. Furor had a low-level spell named after him. JEJ years ago, told me about how they screw over warriors' ability to tank verses monks. Did the sit-in work Alex?

You had fuck all bit of nothing named after you, you are a loony bin fuck. What happened to you quitting? :emoji_fork_knife_plate::emoji_poop::emoji_coffin::emoji_gay_pride_flag:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
That's such a coincidence, my full name is Christopher Elwynn Forest Metzen, I have a zone in WoW named after me.

• 2Worf
  • 1Mother of God

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

EQ lore, at least in the cycle of Classic-PoP (when it essentially ended) is really good.

Everything is repackaged LOTR, JRR is the father of fantasy, so that is not a diss or a negative, but a good thing.

There are hits and misses throughout the lore in EQ but overall it is great, even within classes and races there is good stuff.

The problem was it was not out front, lore in EQ, ironically, was past the general game play - even the epic quests not many people cared or read about it... the friggen Bard epic, you give some insane dude a song and instruments of global destruction created by Mayong, for literally, a cool sword he found. It is a great quest line lol- each epic was quite good... perhaps maybe the shaman one was kinda silly in its lore. Pal was the deepest as it technically started in classic. SK was not bad, it was historical in unearthing the first SK and all that (but was buggled up with an iksar model ghost for a human...) Greenmist sword was the story of the Iksar and Ssra, that was a great line etc. etc.

WoW put the lore more forward and in your face, and it just got stupidly convoluted and horrific as you go along... even BC was bad, WOTLK helped but anything after that- crap. IMO it was because WOW started you as the player out /quickly/ as THE HERO OF THE WORLD from essentially level like 35- EQ lore, not so much, it was always a /group/ and humanity thing. Even until the end, it was a group of adventurers who gained power to surpass the gods, and were about to get the secret to godhood by evil jebus, when time mage showed up and ruined it all. It built up throughout each expansion etc. etc. leading to PoP. In WoW it was EVERYTHING was a huge destroyer of EVERYTHING and only /YOU/ can stop it OVER AND OVER AND OVER... They did good in classic, but after.. it was just getting more and more silly and contradictory.

tldr... someone has to get the bear butt pelts for the shop.

I hate questing, always have, always will. Especially in Everquest (ironic, I know).

But the Shadowknight Epic quest is one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. The story, the adventures all over the world with friends, and killing the God Cazic Thule in the plane of Fear (after multiple wipes). Truly epic.

Everquest Lore was pretty cool. Coming from a guy that usually ignores that stuff.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Furry

BROWN NOW
<Gold Donor>
I hate questing, always have, always will. Especially in Everquest (ironic, I know).

But the Shadowknight Epic quest is one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time.

Are you a Mr Sox alt? Were you in these forums all this time just to build the path for Mr. Sox?

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Man he took that personal

Anywho, I do suspect Alex lurks occasionally

Who knows what else he has to do cuz it ain't MMO leader or world designer or w/e

Id love to hear his memoirs one day of the arguments he had pushing resist gear on the thin bloods

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
wtf is yerm actually an LLM that trained on Mr Sox posts. That shit is impressive, I tried a while back and while its easy for me to sound like a retard, it’s mucu more challenging to attune to such a specific niche of retard

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

Everytime I see that eat shit and die emoji I can't help click "Show Ignore" and I always regret my weak ass for doing it.

• 1Worf

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm

WoW may have murdered Everquest, but it could be said that WoW wouldn't have been made without it.

WoW took the ideas of Everquest and made significant improvements, but they got in their own way. The first issue was solo ability and this got worse as expansions released. Second issue was with the very first expansion(and every expansion after it I might add) when greens in burning at 61/62 were better than raid gear that people spent months obtaining. Hell, I had the legendary shadowmourne, and when cata came out, I replaced with with a blue from a quest line at 82 I spent months just trying to get the 50 bars from Icecrown for that thing. Third issue was the increased exp rate and the cross realm queued instances. There was no community feeling after that, and now, it really feels like a solo game that you happen to play with people.

Honestly, I think the entire genre is dead. People just don't have the capacity to play the long game anymore. Everything today is about instant gratification which is something a quality MMO isn't supposed to have.

• 3Like