Parent Thread

iannis

Musty Nester
Uh with something like that I would report it right away. Isn't up to you to give them a deadline to fix it. Let authorities deal with that.

You don't fuck around with mold. Especially with kids.

If it hasn't killed any 2 year olds yet, it's not going to kill them in 1-3 more days. It's a very serious problem and it does require immediate attention.

The owners may be just as ignorant of the problem as the staff. They do provide a service for these families, and it will be a disruption calling down the righteous fist of an angry god upon them. It's not unreasonable to give them a few days to fix it. You honestly do have to consider this aspect as well.

You don't give them a deadline. It's not like you accost someone at the door and deliver an ultimatum. You report the problem to the people responsible for correcting the problem. I'm just assuming in this case it's a privately owned business. You watch for a few days (and I do mean 1 to 3) to see if the problem is addressed. If it is not, then you take the next reasonable step and escalate your response. This is reasonable because the thing that you actually don't know is how long the response will be from the Health Department once you do inform them. It could be almost immediate, in which case you've lost nothing by allowing the responsible to take responsibility, or it could be less immediate in which case you've actually gained something by allowed the responsible to refuse responsibility.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
If it hasn't killed any 2 year olds yet, it's not going to kill them in 1-3 more days. It's a very serious problem and it does require immediate attention.

The owners may be just as ignorant of the problem as the staff. They do provide a service for these families, and it will be a disruption calling down the righteous fist of an angry god upon them. It's not unreasonable to give them a few days to fix it.

You don't give them a deadline. It's not like you accost someone at the door and deliver an ultimatum. You report the problem to the people responsible for correcting the problem. I'm just assuming in this case it's a privately owned business. You watch for a few days (and I do mean 1 to 3) to see if the problem is addressed. If it is not, then you take the next reasonable step and escalate your response. This is reasonable because the thing that you actually don't know is how long the response will be from the Health Department once you do inform them. It could be almost immediate, in which case you've lost nothing by allowing the responsible to take responsibility, or it could be less immediate in which case you've actually gained something by allowed the responsible to refuse responsibility.
Whut? Fuck them. Thats a dangerous environment for children. They are failing to provide the service they are beibg paid for.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My thoughts are why deal with the owners? Board of health will swiftly get them into action.

If I saw that at my supermarket I'd call the board of health - I would not go to store management. I

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, you guys aren't entirely wrong.

The problem is that you really -don't- know how long it will take the Health Department to react, and you really don't even know what the reaction is going to be.

The health department might fine them a few thousand dollars and give them a month to clean it up.

If the goal is to get it cleaned up, then telling them the problem exists is a good start.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yeah, you guys aren't entirely wrong.

The problem is that you really -don't- know how long it will take the Health Department to react, and you really don't even know what the reaction is going to be.

The health department might fine them a few thousand dollars and give them a month to clean it up.
Health departments do not fuck around with mold. They will shut the place down if it is not remedied in a timely manner.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We had the board of health called when I was at the supermarket (bad smell coming from vents)

They were there within the hour

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah. wife is worried they might fire her or something. I say good riddance, she'll get another job.

• 1Like

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I'd tell the bosses of the school and if it's not resolved in a very short but reasonable amount of time I'd report it to board of health/schools/whomever accredits those schools.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Just report it. She can tell whoever she is worried about retaliatory actions for reporting and it and they they should keep her anonymous

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Also, if I ever found out that mold like that was known for a week and zero action was taken at a daycare my child was at, I'd sue the fuck out if them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Also, if I ever found out that mold like that was known for a week and zero action was taken at a daycare my child was at, I'd sue the fuck out if them.
Yeah, this. I like our day care provider, but if I found out she wasn't doing anything about mold found in the house, I'd be livid.

iannis

Musty Nester
They can't fire her for being a whistle blower unless they want to give you guys a nice settlement

No, but they can fire her for something else.

Like the cost it took to clean the mold and pay the fine comes out of the budget, and times are lean some cuts just have to be made.

She'll probably get fired if they find out that she's the one who called. At the same time that's exactly the sort of thing that you want to bring up on an interview with the new daycare. And it proves that you'll brook no nonsense, but that you are also reasonable and will go through the proper channels. The -exact- proper channels. That's part of the reason why you don't just see red and immediately call the feds.

I mean I just assume that you don't take a job at a daycare so that you can endanger children. I assume you take that job because you care about those little shits, and don't want them to get sick.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So she reported it to management last week. She has asked about it a few times since then. Today she called the health dept. It was anonymous, she didn't even give them her name or information, but they're going to know. I told her just deny deny deny.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, uh, speaking of mold...how bad is that black stuff that like to congregate around wet areas like the weatherstripping on your windows when it get cold and/or humid?

My house was built in the 70's and it's just a giant pain in the ass trying to control the situation. I have a dehumidifier for both floors of the house since it's a ranch and airflow between levels is poor. I clean the windows with a fucking toothbrush 1-2 times year. And yet, that black shit comes back continually. The previous owners were lazy about it so the stripping on many of the windows upstairs are stained.

Can this be solved with replacing the stripping or do I need to go as far as replacing the damn windows? The frames are metal, so I'm guessing they're original.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
So, uh, speaking of mold...how bad is that black stuff that like to congregate around wet areas like the weatherstripping on your windows when it get cold and/or humid?

My house was built in the 70's and it's just a giant pain in the ass trying to control the situation. I have a dehumidifier for both floors of the house since it's a ranch and airflow between levels is poor. I clean the windows with a fucking toothbrush 1-2 times year. And yet, that black shit comes back continually. The previous owners were lazy about it so the stripping on many of the windows upstairs are stained.

Can this be solved with replacing the stripping or do I need to go as far as replacing the damn windows? The frames are metal, so I'm guessing they're original.

http://www.howtoremoveblackmold.com/what-is-black-mold.html