Parent Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
We did gymnastics for our oldests 8th. The parents loved it because no parents are allowed on the gym floor, so everyone sat up in the observation area on their phones avoiding conversation.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I was gymnast when I was a kid. Only ended up competing one season, but did well. Went to state for my age/skill group. It's a rough sport though, requires a shit load of hours and physically demanding. Four nights a week during school and 5 during the summer; Literally stunted my growth, was good times though. Can still do hand stands and trampoline stuff.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
How did it go? Lots of wet clothes and sad faces?
Didn't end up too bad. Almost all the parents went on the ice and enjoyed it more than the kids. Had the Rec center put on disney music so the kids didn't seem to even mind flailing and falling.

My wife ended up inviting like 75 fucking people though...

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Rant inside, depressing
So 2.5 years, that is how old my girls is. The older she gets the more evident it becomes, that she is not communicating normally. We went to a county fair, and she doesn't behave like other kids. She can't ride by herself, because she would just try to get up inside the ride, or completely ignore the fake steering wheel of the ride, and just look at something else.

She had a bad week due to a stomach virus, and not once she expresses pain. She has the pain tolerance of a buda monk, or just doesn't know what to with the pain. She does cries, when is something major, but we have become psychics in guessing when she is hungry, or bothered by something.

She now grabs you by the hand when she want something, and takes you to the place she wants the action.

You guys mentioned to just wait, I am waiting, but the gap between her and other kids, is just widening.

I try not to think about it, because the more I think about it, the more depressed I get.

I just want her to call me daddy. That is all I want.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Hey man, if she grabs you by the hand and leads you to what she wants then you don't need to worry about her yet.

You have got what is medically termed "one shy as fuck little girl". That will end, and when it does you'll wish she'd shut the hell up.

Is she not talking at all though? At 2.5 that is a valid concern. If she doesn't talk MUCH, that's a personality trait. If she doesn't talk AT ALL, that's possibly something more serious.

And do you use English and Spanish in the house? That might make it take longer. She learning two at once, and not only that but she's learning that they're two different languages at the same time. It's a lot for even a kid brain to process through -- and kid brains are fuck mega kabu terrimon supercomputers.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, that stuff is so worthwhile.

I 100% know what you are going through. I go through phases where I think it's getting better or getting worse. I'm lucky in a lot of ways, that my youngest is vocal and stuff, her manifestation seems to be mostly in emotional extremes. The school also said she's a little behind academically in her kindergarten prescreen, but that'snota thing we haveever been concerned about with her.

I wish I had advice, but really,Ihave no idea what I'm doing. I just keep trying different things.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
She is been going to therapies for 10 months now. Actually the whole process started exactly a year ago at the 18 month mark.

She is milking the crying to get what she wants, and at times it is making me lose patience. Little innocuous things such as, "I don't want to go left on this trail, I want to go right", is becoming a mini tantrum. She also knows when she is returning home from our walks and that activates the tantrum subroutine.

Regarding language we speak both at home, (debatable I know)

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
She is been going to therapies for 10 months now. Actually the whole process started exactly a year ago at the 18 month mark.

She is milking the crying to get what she wants, and at times it is making me lose patience. Little innocuous things such as, "I don't want to go left on this trail, I want to go right", is becoming a mini tantrum. She also knows when she is returning home from our walks and that activates the tantrum subroutine.

Regarding language we speak both at home, (debatable I know)

We speak two languages at home, too. One of my middle children was delayed, but not quite like yours. Here's the best I can offer:

I guarantee she'll be speaking before prom. You guys will figure this out. Kids are not easy, they don't come with manuals. Does your daughter have a special need? Sure. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Keep doing them. And love her. I understand entirely the ease with which you can lose patience. Work hard, man. Patience is what's needed.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, patience. Basically, as a parent, that's my main priority now. And I fail very often, too often, and I find myself not being the parent I want to be. And people say reassuring things like "omg you guys have a handful, I'm surprised you are ever able to handle it" or some version of that. But it is what it is, and that shit is just excuses. Years ago I had all these other ideas of what I wanted to do and how I wanted to raise my kids. Now I'm very basic, just exercise patience and communicate.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm now in the 'my kid won't shut up ' phase. I expect that lasts until teenage years.

He's picking up on every word so I'm careful now. He learned "shit" from someone on Easter and we have to not acknowledge it. Also picked up "cucka" from God knows who and I find it hilarious but my wife doesn't.

He's started to finally indicate he's shit his pants, usually by pointing and saying poopoo but it's so unreliable and he lies about it a lot. I'm not looking forward to potty training but also I am.

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm now in the 'my kid won't shut up ' phase. I expect that lasts until teenage years.

He's picking up on every word so I'm careful now. He learned "shit" from someone on Easter and we have to not acknowledge it. Also picked up "cucka" from God knows who and I find it hilarious but my wife doesn't.

He's started to finally indicate he's shit his pants, usually by pointing and saying poopoo but it's so unreliable and he lies about it a lot. I'm not looking forward to potty training but also I am.
He's probably indicating when he farts too. Or he's fucking with you. My 2 year old knows that "poopy" means we check, and he trolls the shit out of my wife and I with it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
He did indicate on farts for awhile, now he just laughs.

Sometimes he lies if he doesn't want to stop playing or whatever. Like no dad I totally didn't shit myself, check your underwear. Other times he does it and my wife will check his diaper and he farts in her face.

• 1Like