Playstation 5

Gator

Trakanon Raider
Well, I'm happy I feel like I don't need this. I mainly game on my PS5 but I need a new tv (current is a 2017 LG OLED) since it's only 60hz. I'd also like to get a new PC since mine is 10 years old now and was built on a budget. Being a responsible adult with a house and family will save me $700 this go around. As others have said at that price point and no disc drive is a real kick in the balls. Maybe they know something I don't but I think they've lost their minds.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Silver Baronet of the Realm
lol gamestop dropped the trade in value from $400 on a ps5 to $231 an hour after the ps5 pro announcement
Seems to only be the Slim w/o disc drive that got nuked into the ground ($214.50 right now). Both slim and fat models with the bluray drive are still $385, and even the OG digital only one is $357.50.

Kind of tempted to get rid of mine since it's long out of warranty, it was a lemon from almost day 1 (CE-108255-1 bullshit that they have never fixed and refused to RMA while the warranty was still valid), and I don't even have a PS+ sub anymore. Won't be buying that again either since Sony has done everything in their power to ensure it's impossible to get anything more than about a 10% discount, outside of their yearly xmas sale.

Last edited:

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Too much for a supposed 4k/60. I had hoped they would dial in on 1440p/120, especially for MH:Wilds. Oh well.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Hitting over 60fps is pointless if a controller is your only source of input. How many console users are using a keyboard and mouse?

$700 price point is pretty steep, but honestly, an equivalent video card + 2TB storage is probably close to that. The price is not unreasonable for what you get, but still out of reach for the average console / non-PC buyer.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Hitting over 60fps is pointless if a controller is your only source of input. How many console users are using a keyboard and mouse?

$700 price point is pretty steep, but honestly, an equivalent video card + 2TB storage is probably close to that. The price is not unreasonable for what you get, but still out of reach for the average console / non-PC buyer.
I realize this is primarily a PC gaming forum, but people go hard in their controller hate lol. Couch gaming with a controller is great... As long as it doesn't require precise aiming.

That said the PS5 was already pretty expensive for a console. Almost as bad as when I got a launch PS3 for $600.

• 2Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I realize this is primarily a PC gaming forum, but people go hard in their controller hate lol. Couch gaming with a controller is great... As long as it doesn't require precise aiming.

That said the PS5 was already pretty expensive for a console. Almost as bad as when I got a launch PS3 for $600.
Launch PS3 (had one too) was actually a value when you consider it had a whole PS2 chip onboard and you could play PS1-3 games. I had mine so long that when the video eventually went out a new board was over 1K. I disassembled it with a sledge hammer.
I used to hate controllers, that was before several back surgeries. Now being hunched over a keyboard with my right arm slung out kills my upper back. If the game is made to use controllers (which is 90% of games now) I use my MS Elite. I've even learned to be semi-accurate with it. I usually only play 1 player games as my wife doesn't understand 'I'm raiding leave me the fuck alone' so as long as I'm happy , fuck it.

That said I have zero desire to get a PS5 -pro , the ps5 I have now is sitting under my desk collection dust.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Er, what? Are you talking like FPS is the only genre there is? Because only a degen plays games like Elden Ring with kb/m regardless of platform, and I'd take 1440p120 over 4K60 for that any day.

• 2Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Launch PS3 (had one too) was actually a value when you consider it had a whole PS2 chip onboard and you could play PS1-3 games. I had mine so long that when the video eventually went out a new board was over 1K. I disassembled it with a sledge hammer.
I used to hate controllers, that was before several back surgeries. Now being hunched over a keyboard with my right arm slung out kills my upper back. If the game is made to use controllers (which is 90% of games now) I use my MS Elite. I've even learned to be semi-accurate with it. I usually only play 1 player games as my wife doesn't understand 'I'm raiding leave me the fuck alone' so as long as I'm happy , fuck it.

That said I have zero desire to get a PS5 -pro , the ps5 I have now is sitting under my desk collection dust.
Ah yeah my launch PS3 eventually bit it too. We could bake it in the oven and it would work for a bit then stop again. Eventually that stopped working.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I used that breakout box thing for kb/m on the PS4 for Destiny 1 I guess it was. Wonder whatever happened to that little gadget.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Er, what? Are you talking like FPS is the only genre there is? Because only a degen plays games like Elden Ring with kb/m regardless of platform, and I'd take 1440p120 over 4K60 for that any day.
I guess I could be wrong, but how are you seeing a difference between 60 and 120 Hz? Granted, I definitely noticed a difference while playing stuff like Overwatch on my PC. But you can't spin the camera but so quickly with a controller, which is where I would assume the "need" for higher refresh would be -- i.e. competitive gaming.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
FPS has the biggest visual jumps going from 30 to 60 to 90. Having the game maintain a stable frame rate at 60 or 90 without huge dips is far more important than 90 to 120. But that's not necessarily a hardware problem it is more the engine and optimization coming in to play.

Vorph

I guess I could be wrong, but how are you seeing a difference between 60 and 120 Hz? Granted, I definitely noticed a difference while playing stuff like Overwatch on my PC. But you can't spin the camera but so quickly with a controller, which is where I would assume the "need" for higher refresh would be -- i.e. competitive gaming.
Anything that requires reacting to something that happens in a fraction of a second is easier when there's more frames used. Like parrying in Elden Ring, perfect dodging in Stellar Blade, etc.

Course, this only applies if you're getting 'real' 1440p120... if the game is using PSSSR with some sort of frame gen to do it then the added latency probably wipes out any benefit from the higher framerate. Like I said earlier, it should be interesting to see Digital Foundry's analysis of how the PS5 Pro actually hits its target fps with raytracing and other features that are normally limited to 30 fps 'quality' modes now.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
FPS has the biggest visual jumps going from 30 to 60 to 90. Having the game maintain a stable frame rate at 60 or 90 without huge dips is far more important than 90 to 120. But that's not necessarily a hardware problem it is more the engine and optimization coming in to play.
This is the most important to me. I'd rather have a rock solid 60fps @ 1440p in "quality" mode. The issue with a lot of PC games is they are constantly hitching or stuttering.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I used that breakout box thing for kb/m on the PS4 for Destiny 1 I guess it was. Wonder whatever happened to that little gadget.
The Xim? Think they blacklist that thing now as a cheat device =/

• 1Like