Playstation 5

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Ah yeah my launch PS3 eventually bit it too. We could bake it in the oven and it would work for a bit then stop again. Eventually that stopped working.
Found it ! No working after I did this to it.

dead ps3.jpg

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I realize this is primarily a PC gaming forum, but people go hard in their controller hate lol. Couch gaming with a controller is great... As long as it doesn't require precise aiming.

That said the PS5 was already pretty expensive for a console. Almost as bad as when I got a launch PS3 for $600.
I could buy one but I had to reach to play anything on the PS5. I preferred to play on Xbox or PC when they were new but played a number of things to justify the purchase. Cyberpunk, Elden Ring, I played a few things on there but since I got my 7900XTX I haven't bothered much with consoles; plus the controllers hurt my hands more (Elden Ring fingers were one of my first signs of Rheumatoid Arthritis).

I thought I would get one and move my current PS5 to the living room to be a BluRay player but I would rather just save the cash for when I build another PC Q1 2025 assuming we aren't a Communist Dictatorship yet.

• 2Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I haven't read a SINGLE positive post about this. I didn't think it could get worse after Concord

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's pretty wild that at a fraction of the library, they are doubling the price compared to the Pro version of the PS4 at release.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Them removing the choice between Fidelity and Performance modes by combining the two is good for people like me who can't decide and switch it back and forth. Usually go Performance and then switch back to Fidelity when I see some amazing visual location or vista. After a while it's annoying.

So I'm alright with that basic premise, but it costs about $200 more than it probably should. No disc drive is stupid. And worst of all, no vertical stand included. The moment I saw that I knew it'd become a meme and invite all kinds of derision, because it's so damn cheap on their part. The fact that they didn't realize that beforehand is what's most surprising. A $10 vertical stand included with every system (and no need to even mention it) would have saved them a lot of grief.

• 1Like

Vorph

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Them removing the choice between Fidelity and Performance modes by combining the two is good for people like me who can't decide and switch it back and forth. Usually go Performance and then switch back to Fidelity when I see some amazing visual location or vista. After a while it's annoying.
Yeahhhh, about that...

"I've already seen games with three different PS5 Pro modes," Cerny said of the lineup of games upgraded for the launch.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Not related to this dumb announcement. Astro Bot has me actually playing the PS5 again and with with my son. Is there some known issue between PS5 controller and interference with say Apple Watch Bluetooth or other devices? I get terrible controller lag / odd behavior / random inputs / dropped inputs that I can only say feels like interference. It isn’t controller drift. Latest FW on the thing and such.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Ah yeah my launch PS3 eventually bit it too. We could bake it in the oven and it would work for a bit then stop again. Eventually that stopped working.

I think all the early PS3s bite the dust and breakdown long term. I watch this guy on Twitch who owns a used game store and streams from it. Recently he stopped selling/buying the early PS3 models since they all break and customers complain.

spronk

FPS noob

all those ps2 games will really enjoy the power of ps5 pro

i'm enjoying astro bot a lot but its kinda wild i paid $60 for it lol

on the plus side i bought it physical and gamestop currently offers $25 trade (+30% bonus if you buy a new game) which i guess isn't terrible, especially since i should be done in a few days.

Vorph

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This just reminded me how criminal it was for them to raise the ps+ price recently
Yeah, it's especially annoying because their price hikes followed closely after the removal of all game and subscription keys from third party vendors. You can't even buy them from Amazon or Gamestop anymore, let alone places like Eneba. Only way to get any sort of discount at all on PS+ is to buy PSN gift cards from a seller like Eneba; you can get $50 credit for around $45 plus an additional 8% cashback and then pay for the sub out of your wallet. It's pretty lame compared to Game Pass deals, but on the positive side you can use the gift cards to buy actual games and not just subs.

(Disclaimer: I haven't tried this recently myself since I'm done paying for PS+, but I've used wallet funds to pay for a sub in the past and I'm not aware of them having put any restrictions on it since then.)

spronk

FPS noob
lucky for us there are hardly any new good games anymore anyways. I haven't bought a new game except astro bot this year, just keeping a list of stuff to buy later like FF7 Rebirth, Stellar Blade (coming soon to PC anyways), Black Myth Wukong, and Star Wars Outlaws (at <$20) which is a tiny list compared to better years.

It is a nice time to go back and play all those old PS+ games you claimed but never had time to play, I've only been playing those for months now and really enjoying it. 100%'d Midnight Suns, Gotham Knights, Final Fantasy Crisis Core Remake, Callisto Protocol, Unpacking, and a few more. Gonna start Nier Replicant before it leaves PS+ in a week.

Fuck new games, i'm gonna play every old 7/10 game I collected on PS+ and missed before my sub runs out in 2029 lol

• 1Like

BunkyChutt

Poet Warrior
Wukong is simply amazing. Just finished a play through of it and I platted ghost of Tsushima minus the dlc trophies. I might stellar blade or outlaws next

Caliane

is there no talking about Astrobot?
I don't have a PS 5, but the word is its just a joy to play.

here's mauler playing it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
It's amazing how well/with how much hope this console generation started off, and how poorly its going to end. Is there any single Big company that's executing well at point? Valve, maybe?

• 1Truth!

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Read an article this morning where Digital Foundry was mentioned (some clip of one of the guys) as saying the PS5 Pro gpu was equivalent to a 4070, while the base PS5 was like a 4060. I have to call bs on that... there is nothing that my PS5 runs that performs better than my 3060 PC.