Playstation 5

Vorph

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Read an article this morning where Digital Foundry was mentioned (some clip of one of the guys) as saying the PS5 Pro gpu was equivalent to a 4070, while the base PS5 was like a 4060. I have to call bs on that... there is nothing that my PS5 runs that performs better than my 3060 PC.
IIRC it was somewhere around a RX 6700. I'd expect the Pro to be similar to the 7700 XT, but with custom raytracing that's actually useable.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
is there no talking about Astrobot?
I don't have a PS 5, but the word is its just a joy to play.

here's mauler playing it.

We were all talking about how much fun it is and basically just Mario 64 but with Sony. Been playing it with my 6 year old and it is great watching him learn how to navigate the world and check for secrets off the main path. At first he just tried to rush though levels. All the little bots you find that are call backs to other PlayStation games are great too and a couple of them I’ve had to go back in my own memory banks for. He left for school the other day and said “Don’t do all the robot game while I’m gone.”

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quaid

Trump's Staff
How depressing is it that in 2024 everyone is super pumped at Astrobot, a very slightly above average representation of its genre, because everything else industry wide is such total dogshit?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Astrobot isn't some amazing feat of narrative or gameplay concepts. The impressive thing is support for everything the controller is capable of. It's really impressive how much more immersive playing a game can feel when those things are fully utilized.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Astrobot isn't some amazing feat of narrative or gameplay concepts. The impressive thing is support for everything the controller is capable of. It's really impressive how much more immersive playing a game can feel when those things are fully utilized.
That's one of the reasons that Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii was and is such a damn good game.
I don't know if they've ever done a remake of it, but that game was perfect with that controller and I doubt it would be anywhere near as fun on a different controller.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
is there no talking about Astrobot?
I don't have a PS 5, but the word is its just a joy to play.

here's mauler playing it.

Been playing Astro Bot lately, first 1P game I've really played since Dark Souls 3 back in May. My mom visited last week for a short hangout (maybe a movie at the most), and I decided to show her the game since it's such a joy. Was very early in the game but I could at least show her a bit. No joke, eight hours went by while we smoked weed and talked about all the awesome things happening in the game. Every level had some new awesome thing happening that was entertaining us and impressive in its creativity.

To put that in perspective, the last time we hung out and played a video game was Elden Ring in 2022, and before that, Bloodborne in 2015, and before that...probably like, Metroid Prime in 2002. Not just hung out, but also hung out for a while and got blitzed and just had a good time. I think I got about a third of the way through the game and before we knew it we were sleepy and it was time for me to drive her home. Check the time, 4 AM.

Basically, Astro Bot is awesome and a big surprise out of nowhere and it got my mom and I really hanging out for the first time in a while. It feels like a fusion of Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, and Mario Galaxy, only with better visuals than any Nintendo system has ever had, and better controller feedback than maybe any GAME has ever had.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The only thing about Astobot that doesn't make any fucking sense is why it's one player.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
astro bot is what mario would be like if nintendo made PC games instead of using tech from 10 years ago

its really, really fun. its also short. i've put in about 10 hours and am 60% done with the game. 100% enjoyed every single second but I'll be 100% done with the game in another 5-8 hours and there is no replay value.

If you have kids its absolutely a blast for them

the only real bad thing about astro bot is that it reminds you that neither sony nor microsoft make platform / cozy games like these anymore, we used to get tons of crash bandicoots, jax and dexter, ratchet and clank, etc. now we barely get anything like that. To be fair Hi Fi Rush has a similar vibe and i dunno if it sold well so maybe we're the assholes

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
astro bot is what mario would be like if nintendo made PC games instead of using tech from 10 years ago

its really, really fun. its also short. i've put in about 10 hours and am 60% done with the game. 100% enjoyed every single second but I'll be 100% done with the game in another 5-8 hours and there is no replay value.

the only real bad thing about astro bot is that it reminds you that neither sony nor microsoft make platform / cozy games like these anymore, we used to get tons of crash bandicoots, jax and dexter, ratchet and clank, etc. now we barely get anything like that. To be fair Hi Fi Rush has a similar vibe and i dunno if it sold well so maybe we're the assholes

I only played about 10% of the new Ratchet and Clank game, the one with the wormholes and stuff? Wasn't sure if it was a return to old or just ended up not working. Getting the Sly Cooper outfit and bot reminded me about that series too.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Agreed with this. I am going to 100% this and never play it again probably. But my 8 year old also beat it and is trying to 100% it but he likes just fighting the bosses over and over again. The rest is just gravy to him.

Vorph

Silver Baronet of the Realm
To be fair Hi Fi Rush has a similar vibe and i dunno if it sold well so maybe we're the assholes
It didn't do well enough to keep MS from shutting down Tango Gameworks, though that was mainly because Shinji Makami had already left and I guess they decided there's no studio without him.

Krafton (PUBG) did end up buying whatever was left of the company and the Hi-fi Rush IP (MS kept Evil Within and Ghostwire IPs) though, so maybe there will eventually be another one.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
How depressing is it that in 2024 everyone is super pumped at Astrobot, a very slightly above average representation of its genre, because everything else industry wide is such total dogshit?
Sometimes games are just fun and not genre-defining mind blowing games. It's a good game for what it is, don't really have to dig deeper than that to why it's successful. Also equally impressive is Team Asobi is a small dev team compared to any other first party dev teams.

Not really a game for me but my kids LOVE it.

• 4Like

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Sometimes games are just fun and not genre-defining mind blowing games. It's a good game for what it is, don't really have to dig deeper than that to why it's successful. Also equally impressive is Team Asobi is a small dev team compared to any other first party dev teams.

Not really a game for me but my kids LOVE it.

hey man i agree. Just saying everybody and their uncle is disproportionately glazing this objectively OK game because the alternatives are so awful.

• 1Like

Szlia

Two questions about the vertical stand drama (I don't own a PS5). 1) If you upgrade your PS5, can't you just use the same stand? 2) Does the PS5, especially the new wider version, even need a stand to stay vertical if you don't have cats that will bump it down?

spronk

FPS noob
while the PS5 can stand vertical alone, its not super stable and the stand imo is a must. The launch stand fits the slim (and likely pro) model, the new $30 slim that you have to buy for the slim or new pro work great though and thats what I use.

If you keep it horizontal the system comes with plastic little feet that are cheap as fuck for the job.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Been playing Astro Bot lately, first 1P game I've really played since Dark Souls 3 back in May. My mom visited last week for a short hangout (maybe a movie at the most), and I decided to show her the game since it's such a joy. Was very early in the game but I could at least show her a bit. No joke, eight hours went by while we smoked weed and talked about all the awesome things happening in the game. Every level had some new awesome thing happening that was entertaining us and impressive in its creativity.

To put that in perspective, the last time we hung out and played a video game was Elden Ring in 2022, and before that, Bloodborne in 2015, and before that...probably like, Metroid Prime in 2002. Not just hung out, but also hung out for a while and got blitzed and just had a good time. I think I got about a third of the way through the game and before we knew it we were sleepy and it was time for me to drive her home. Check the time, 4 AM.

Basically, Astro Bot is awesome and a big surprise out of nowhere and it got my mom and I really hanging out for the first time in a while. It feels like a fusion of Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, and Mario Galaxy, only with better visuals than any Nintendo system has ever had, and better controller feedback than maybe any GAME has ever had.

Your posts in the Investing thread make so much more sense now.

• 4Worf

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
while the PS5 can stand vertical alone, its not super stable and the stand imo is a must. The launch stand fits the slim (and likely pro) model, the new $30 slim that you have to buy for the slim or new pro work great though and thats what I use.

If you keep it horizontal the system comes with plastic little feet that are cheap as fuck for the job.
Its the insult to the injury, "Hey consumer, I know you just bought a super expensive supposedly premium product from us, the people that care about you and your experience. I know this is 'Pro" mid gen refresh that removes the disk drive but who uses those nasty physical things anyway and you can always buy one if you want one, right? Also, if you want your console to stay in the position that 90% of the people keep them in, go buy your own stand. Yeah, I know we upped the price by 40% while our costs went down but its 2024 and you're going to pay it anyway. Can't you 3d print those things? See you in the Online Store to 'buy' things you don't really own, sucker."

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
I only played about 10% of the new Ratchet and Clank game, the one with the wormholes and stuff? Wasn't sure if it was a return to old or just ended up not working. Getting the Sly Cooper outfit and bot reminded me about that series too.
The new Ratchet and Clank game PS5 plus free game? That was my first R&C game I have ever played and I found it quite enjoyable! It was nice to have a game were I don't see "You Died" every five minutes(I know "Git Gud"), sometimes it just nice to not have to concentrate and learn a whole move set of some mob that can one shot....

• 1Like