Pre-1970 movies you haven't watched but probably should.

Goatface

certainly not for everyone, but if you liked payback with mel gibson

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
About time we had a good Classic Film Recommendation thread. Watching old cinema is like going through a time capsule into a forgotten realm that you can barely believe actually existed. It's almost like an alien realm.

I'm curious about the 1970s cut off. Some in here say there is a huge difference in films pre and post 1970, but I'd like to know more about why that is. In doing so you lose some great films that I like from the 70s such as The Conversation starring Gene Hackman or Three Days of the Condor with Robert Redford, both amazing films that you will not see made today.

I'm a sucker for watching videos on YT of the deconstruction of films and cinematography in general. So much goes into making a good film, and in many ways it's a lost or dying art considering the hacks we mostly have nowadays. You have some non-Hollywood films that were made on a shoestring budget that are considered absolute classics such as some of Bergman's films like The Seventh Seal that come down to raw acting, direction and writing talent. Then bigger films like many of the WWII epics mentioned here (both based on reality and fantasy) that are works of art in and off themselves.

I'll need to have a think before posting some films that have not yet been mentioned here, but as someone mentioned the original Pink Panther I'd like to say how intrigued I was when I rewatched it a few years ago and realised that the era of having a hit song accompany a hit film is not something Jerry Burkheimer invented in the 1980s but goes way back. Take a good look at the people in the room in this video and you'll see what I mean above about an "alien realm". The way they sit, their posture, their class, how the fattest man there would be considered almost lean by today's standards. Men being men and women being women. Hell, even clumsy Clusaue or however the fuck his name is spelled is still more masculine than many men today.

It's basically a copycat thing. When Tarantino did reservoir dogs and pulp fiction, It set a tone for the 90s films. So did Jurassic park. Everyone started making films in that style because audiences reacted well to them. Same happens with music. Smells like teen spirit was a huge hit and it brought us the Seattle sound or grunge for half the decade.

What set the tone for the 70s? It was probably Midnight Cowboy or The Graduate.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

About time we had a good Classic Film Recommendation thread. Watching old cinema is like going through a time capsule into a forgotten realm that you can barely believe actually existed. It's almost like an alien realm.

I'm curious about the 1970s cut off. Some in here say there is a huge difference in films pre and post 1970, but I'd like to know more about why that is. In doing so you lose some great films that I like from the 70s such as The Conversation starring Gene Hackman or Three Days of the Condor with Robert Redford, both amazing films that you will not see made today.

I'm a sucker for watching videos on YT of the deconstruction of films and cinematography in general. So much goes into making a good film, and in many ways it's a lost or dying art considering the hacks we mostly have nowadays. You have some non-Hollywood films that were made on a shoestring budget that are considered absolute classics such as some of Bergman's films like The Seventh Seal that come down to raw acting, direction and writing talent. Then bigger films like many of the WWII epics mentioned here (both based on reality and fantasy) that are works of art in and off themselves.

I'll need to have a think before posting some films that have not yet been mentioned here, but as someone mentioned the original Pink Panther I'd like to say how intrigued I was when I rewatched it a few years ago and realised that the era of having a hit song accompany a hit film is not something Jerry Burkheimer invented in the 1980s but goes way back. Take a good look at the people in the room in this video and you'll see what I mean above about an "alien realm". The way they sit, their posture, their class, how the fattest man there would be considered almost lean by today's standards. Men being men and women being women. Hell, even clumsy Clusaue or however the fuck his name is spelled is still more masculine than many men today.

Outside of the "movies after 1970 were different" line, I assumed Mist had seen many more of the movies since the 1970s, so wanted to talk about older ones.

I think the "rise of the director" era of movie making started around that time too though. Without looking it up, that was when studios lost a lot of power and the talent (actors/directors) stopped signing heavily restrictive studio contracts to instead work more independently (on a movie by movie basis). That in turn allowed directors to better realize their vision. Which led to a wider variety of films getting made.

Unfortunately, since probably 2000, it seems we are back into studios have all the power territory and don't want to take chances on risky movies. Hopefully, over the next decade or less, tech will slowly push studios out the door.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

you know how in the olympics, they have the 100 m dash, and then the women's 100 m dash? They restricted the second race to women so women could win. It's like that. mist restricted this to pre-1970 so the list wouldn't be full of 70s and 80s movies.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Outside of the "movies after 1970 were different" line, I assumed Mist had seen many more of the movies since the 1970s, so wanted to talk about older ones.

I think the "rise of the director" era of movie making started around that time too though. Without looking it up, that was when studios lost a lot of power and the talent (actors/directors) stopped signing heavily restrictive studio contracts to instead work more independently (on a movie by movie basis). That in turn allowed directors to better realize their vision. Which led to a wider variety of films getting made.

Unfortunately, since probably 2000, it seems we are back into studios have all the power territory and don't want to take chances on risky movies. Hopefully, over the next decade or less, tech will slowly push studios out the door.
Director heavy eras are pretty cyclical. We haven't really seen a return to the studio system ever since the vertical monopolies got broken up. French new wave in the 50s was a director lead movement that led to auteur theory. 70s was a US renaissance of directors inspired by that wave. It also brought us the Blockbuster era with Jaws- which had it's own deleterious effect on movies. But most people have a lot more exposure to 70s onward movies than the older stuff for sure. Unless you habitually watch TCM- which I used to until fucking comcast re-jiggered all their channel packages, or were a film history student (i was) you probably just un-aware of a fuck ton of fantastic movies.

• 1Like

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Bergman is great. Although his swedish ass makes some depressing stuff. I used to watch like once a year at least for like a decade.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Page 2 and no one has mentioned The Hustler? Shame. Jackie Gleason vs. Paul Newman with George C Scott lurking around as a greasy 60's era gangster. I watch this one at least once a year. Goes great with Cool Hand Luke.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

Liz Taylor was a legit hot MILF in this. Watched it a few weeks ago and it blew my mind. Great performances.
She was also hot as fuck in Cleopatra too. Also this movie almost bankrupted Fox it was so expensive. Luckily it was successful.

• 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Young, cocky Brando and a cute Joanne Wooward in another one of those surprisingly edgy, old black and white films.