Racism - Lets keep it civil. Also, Gravy is white.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Why wouldn't dash cam with audio be legal? Cops are supposed to tell you what they pulled you over for immediately. Do they? No. Get as much evidence as you can to stop that shit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
In MA as long as the recording device is in plain sight it is not illegal to have a dash cam, you don't even need to tell the cops it is there.

Sulrn

Deuces
Before you read this BS that happened to me this morning...I have a question. Do you white folk believe that black folk are treated equally by the police in general?

I drive a 2014 Challenger RT. Orange. Decent car. Nothing special, but it stands out. I have been pulled over maybe 3 times in me owning the car less than a year for no reason what so ever. Give my license and registration, don't even ask what is the problem officer. Just wait a few minutes, wait for the BS lie as to why they pulled me over, and go about my way.

Today pissed me the fuck off.

Pulled over on my way to work by the towns local police of where I work. (Affluent town BTW)I am pulled over immediately coming out of the rotary. Did my usual routine of getting my licence and registration ready. My hand is out the window with both items. Cop gets up to the window and is pissed. Says to me, "You're going to be a smart ass". I say nothing in return. Second cop car pulls up. I'm now worried. 3rd cop car, WTF. Cops ask me to get out the car. I get out.

At this point the ONLY thing I can think of is that my insurance is due. But it is automatic against my credit card. Maybe the new chipped cards are out and my old card is no good...I'm just running thru everything.

I ask what is going on as nicely as pie. I am told to shut it and sit down. I do as I am told. I sit my fat ass on the curb. This shit is embarrassing as fuck because I am literally at work now. Everyone who I DON'T know at work is passing by and looking at me like "WTF I KNEW he was an evil man"!

Three of my co workers that sit in the same area pull over thank god to see what has happened! One of them is my best friend at work. I will honestly say this though. Never did I think these guys outside my bud would in any way stop to make sure I was OK. Thru all the BS going on I point over to these guys and say these fellas here know me...

This is where shit gets pissy for me. They ask TWO of the coworkers do they know me. Three are there standing next to each other. Both vouch telling them I am a Sr. IT engineer for this company right fuckin there. They ignore the third coworker.

By this time, traffic is backing up and everyone is just rubber necking. I am REALLY embarrassed at this point.

The original two cops go pow wow a little longer then come back to me and hand me back my license and registration. I am now livid. My buddy asks what was the issue. He is told they got a report of an incident in the area, and my car matched the description. I have not seen ONE orange fuckin challenger yet since I have owned the car. I am finally told by the cops in the 3rd car (who wasn't fuckin even there!!!) that I was pulled over because I didn't signal while exiting the rotary as I went into the right lane. I was IN the right lane! So even THAT was a lie. And you need 3 cruisers for that?

Anyway...I get in my car and bring my ass to work. My bud and coworkers know I am pissed, but we hit the cafe and talk anyway...I tell them everything that happened before they showed up...blah blah blah. Two of my coworkers see nothing wrong even though the reasons are different for pulling me over. The third guy, whom the cops ignored finally says to the others..."you guys do see why he was pulled over right"? He then points out how they were asked if they knew me, and he was not..."so what?" they pretty much say. They honestly can't see why I am angry.

That's pretty much it.

Now, am I being a black man angry at the world for nothing? Making something out of nothing? Let this go (not that I have a choice here really)...OR do I have a right to be upset.
Third guy was black of course
I sincerely do believe that blacks/POC are treated equally as whites by Police in most areas. However, I do think there are plenty of PD's that are subject to having confirmation bias/are assholes due to the populations they deal with/are composed of, but by the by I think the entire issue is overblown by the media/BLM/Sharpton Coalition for what really amounts to shitty cities with shitty PD's and good PD's being a snapshot of their communities (ie at least 1 authoritarian asshole/inexperienced or undertrained officer) that is tired/stressed/scared in front of an opportunist looking for fame/money exploiting sensationalist media. From all the LEO's I've known in my lifetime thus far, not a single one has had a negative experience with blacks at all that is not equivalent or better than what they've dealt with any other ethnicity or race. Surely I don't know the only Cops that are good at their jobs and treat all people humanely though? Nope. For where I'm living for a few more months it's because they're paid well, trained well, and majority have an associates or bachelors degree as well as reside in an area without any ongoing culture/economic wars while being 55% white, 40% black, 5% other (predominately Asian). Same goes for where I was living before now (although it was closer to a 70/28/2 - split).

I'm sorry you had a shitty morning and were embarrassed in front of your peers, but I'm white and have been slammed into the hood of my car by a LEO before for doing 10mph over when I was in high school. Some cops are just bad at what they do - like any other profession - but there are plenty of good cops out there that aren't making the news because it's not news worthy.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Do you white folk believe that black folk are treated equally by the police in general?
No, and anyone who does is incredibly naive. Up here in Canada it's the Natives/Indians that get profiled far more in most of the country, since we don't have black people in most places (and statistically they're even more marginalized here than blacks are in the US). And in those that do have black people like Toronto, yup, they get pulled over or carded way the fuck more often. It's only recently starting to become more of an issue.

Personally I've only been pulled over by cops a couple times, and in all but one it was legit, for speeding. I did get pulled over one time on a highway in BC, and that was definitely a fishing expedition. But that was more about what vehicle I was driving (a large, shiny, new pickup truck that on a quick glance probably looked like a fancy SUV to the cop) and that area being a big drug smuggling route than anything to do with what my white ass looked like. After realizing he pulled over a nice upstanding citizen with 3 friends coming back from a camping trip, he gave me a speeding ticket that didn't even have the speed filled out on it. He didn't say more than two or three sentences. "Going fast there, weren't you?" "Uh, well, maybe officer, not sure. Thought I was doing the limit." "I'll be right back". That was it. Otherwise the other times I've been pulled over I doubt I was there for more than 5 minutes. I don't bullshit them or try to talk my way out of a ticket. I just give them short, polite answers, don't actually admit to anything, and go on my way after they give me a ticket. In return I've generally found them to be courteous if not outright friendly.

State troopers in Montana and Wyoming were actually good guys, as I got let off a couple times on a motorcycle trip down there 5 years ago. "Well shit, my digital speedo is metric gents. I had no idea that 45mph was not 100kmh! I am so very sorry!" "Oh yeah? I was up hunting in Alberta a few years ago, and you're right, even with the dual markings in my truck I was getting thrown. Here's a written warning, this is in the system so don't get pulled over again or you will get a ticket next time." *immediately crosses state line and gets pulled over again. Repeat exact same story*

Some people claim that driving a fancy car makes you more likely to get pulled over, but I've never noticed.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Before you read this BS that happened to me this morning...I have a question. Do you white folk believe that black folk are treated equally by the police in general?

I drive a 2014 Challenger RT. Orange. Decent car. Nothing special, but it stands out. I have been pulled over maybe 3 times in me owning the car less than a year for no reason what so ever. Give my license and registration, don't even ask what is the problem officer. Just wait a few minutes, wait for the BS lie as to why they pulled me over, and go about my way.

Pulled over on my way to work by the towns local police of where I work. (Affluent town BTW)I am pulled over immediately coming out of the rotary. Did my usual routine of getting my licence and registration ready. My hand is out the window with both items. Cop gets up to the window and is pissed. Says to me, "You're going to be a smart ass". I say nothing in return. Second cop car pulls up. I'm now worried. 3rd cop car, WTF. Cops ask me to get out the car. I get out.

At this point the ONLY thing I can think of is that my insurance is due. But it is automatic against my credit card. Maybe the new chipped cards are out and my old card is no good...I'm just running thru everything.

I ask what is going on as nicely as pie. I am told to shut it and sit down. I do as I am told. I sit my fat ass on the curb. This shit is embarrassing as fuck because I am literally at work now. Everyone who I DON'T know at work is passing by and looking at me like "WTF I KNEW he was an evil man"!

Three of my co workers that sit in the same area pull over thank god to see what has happened! One of them is my best friend at work. I will honestly say this though. Never did I think these guys outside my bud would in any way stop to make sure I was OK. Thru all the BS going on I point over to these guys and say these fellas here know me...

This is where shit gets pissy for me. They ask TWO of the coworkers do they know me. Three are there standing next to each other. Both vouch telling them I am a Sr. IT engineer for this company right fuckin there. They ignore the third coworker.

By this time, traffic is backing up and everyone is just rubber necking. I am REALLY embarrassed at this point.

The original two cops go pow wow a little longer then come back to me and hand me back my license and registration. I am now livid. My buddy asks what was the issue. He is told they got a report of an incident in the area, and my car matched the description. I have not seen ONE orange fuckin challenger yet since I have owned the car. I am finally told by the cops in the 3rd car (who wasn't fuckin even there!!!) that I was pulled over because I didn't signal while exiting the rotary as I went into the right lane. I was IN the right lane! So even THAT was a lie. And you need 3 cruisers for that?

Anyway...I get in my car and bring my ass to work. My bud and coworkers know I am pissed, but we hit the cafe and talk anyway...I tell them everything that happened before they showed up...blah blah blah. Two of my coworkers see nothing wrong even though the reasons are different for pulling me over. The third guy, whom the cops ignored finally says to the others..."you guys do see why he was pulled over right"? He then points out how they were asked if they knew me, and he was not..."so what?" they pretty much say. They honestly can't see why I am angry.

That's pretty much it.

Now, am I being a black man angry at the world for nothing? Making something out of nothing? Let this go (not that I have a choice here really)...OR do I have a right to be upset.
I'm used to it by now. Personally, I hate it when they reach for their guns, and every move I make is a "sudden move" to them. I just ask them if it's OK if I reach for my ID and insurance, or ask them if I can scratch my nose, and not have it be interpreted as me reaching for my gun. I was in my car with my kids, and we were pulled over. 10 mins after the stop, we are driving away, my very smart 10 year old asked us why we were still discussing the traffic stop. We were teaching the kids strategies not to be shot when you are Black in America and pulled over for routine traffic stops.

I wish a cop would pull me over once and just give me a DWB, so we both walk away respecting each other.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Why wouldn't dash cam with audio be legal? Cops are supposed to tell you what they pulled you over for immediately. Do they? No. Get as much evidence as you can to stop that shit.
Lots of states are two party consent. Completely out dated law in the 21st century.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
No, I don't believe whites and blacks are always treated the same. It's hard for me to say your experience was based solely upon the fact you are black just because I've seen cops do worse for less, to whites. I'm sure it factored into it, though.

My thing is, though, all this forced kumbaye shit from the far left where I must hate myself because I am white and therefore oppress blacks by my very existence, turns me off from caring too much. Being told I'm racist by people calling me cracker and wonderbread (which has never upset me, I mean, really? lol) because apparently only white's are capable of racism, makes me not care. When I go to my buddy's and we're outside his house BSing, and 2 black dudes walk by, and one stops to lean on my buddy's (very expensive) car while the other ties his shoelace or some shit, and my buddy's like, "Hey don't lean on the car man" and the retort is "I wasn't! You're just saying that 'cause I'm black!" - I just stop caring.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
So yeah, Gravy was white but he would have been, as am I, mortified by Brahma's treatment.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I was actually told by a cop once "I was never racist until I became a cop". I think part of the problem is that cops always see the worst of everyone and if they are in a place where they have to deal with ghettos then eventually they just start seeing all black guys as bad guys. Not making excuses for them, that's obviously not acceptable behavior, but I could see how it could happen, especially if they are someone that didn't grow up around black people or encounter many in their off-duty life.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Also, Brahma can I ask do you typically wear more Fubu or Lacoste? Are you more a straight thuggin' or country clubbin' kinda dresser?

PosterOfStuff_sl

shitlord
I was actually told by a cop once "I was never racist until I became a cop". I think part of the problem is that cops always see the worst of everyone and if they are in a place where they have to deal with ghettos then eventually they just start seeing all black guys as bad guys. Not making excuses for them, that's obviously not acceptable behavior, but I could see how it could happen, especially if they are someone that didn't grow up around black people or encounter many in their off-duty life.
I agree with that. Obviously a cops performance is going to be about catching people breaking the law, and profiling is just going with the better odds. The issue is that people take it the next step, oh you think ALL people who fit this description are criminals. That does not mean this makes it any easier for law abiding people who match a particular profile.

An Australian cop (on one of those t.v cop shows) said into the camera that he was heading to this address to arrest someone. And without knowing anything about them said the person will be late teens, early 20's, have Metalica records/posters, long hair and be white. And he was right.

In Pakistan they waved through an Australian guy I work with, because he had an Australian Passport. But if you had a Pakistan passport you got very seriously checked.

As said above if you deal with a profile on a daily basis in a negative way, then it will impact you.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Also, Brahma can I ask do you typically wear more Fubu or Lacoste? Are you more a straight thuggin' or country clubbin' kinda dresser?
Timbs, Carhart Jeans and Champion Super Hoodie. 90% of the time. Might wear some sneaks on Fridays. I blend into the jungle perfectly.

I am 100% aware on how I look to the average white guy/gal. My 1st impression is horrible (until you speak to me, very friendly, not an thespian). That is just who I am and how I grew up. Thing is I really should not have to worry about retaliation based upon a persons bad 1st impression of me. Hell I don't 99% of the time. That one percent though is annoying as fuck.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Timbs, Carhart Jeans and Champion Super Hoodie. 90% of the time. Might wear some sneaks on Fridays. I blend into the jungle perfectly.

I am 100% aware on how I look to the average white guy/gal. My 1st impression is horrible (until you speak to me, very friendly, not an thespian). That is just who I am and how I grew up. Thing is I really should not have to worry about retaliation based upon a persons bad 1st impression of me. Hell I don't 99% of the time. That one percent though is annoying as fuck.
Yea, obviously can only read what you write there's no DASH CAM FOOTAGE (?!) but I will say that generally I've been treated worse because of how I dress or look. I can't compare directly but things that have happened to me that I would consider bullshit:

1) Was pulled over once late at night driving in the white-trash part of town in a well kept car. (This one was probably my fault because of a reg sticker that I forgot to put on from a few days earlier so they had an excuse). They had two units there to 'assist' in finding out the 'problem with my registration'.
2) Was pulled over once for having 'broken taillights' because there was a steep hill I basically coasted to a near stop before light turned (I knew it was going) so I never hit the brake pedal. The cop was wondering if it was 'my car'.
3) Was kicked out of a restaurant once - went alone for dinner after work, ordered a salad had been kinda sick so just nursed a drink for a bit while watching football game in the bar area for maybe 20 minutes without eating much. Owner came up and told me I needed to leave because I was 'upsetting' other patrons. I didn't really care so I went to grab my wallet and he said don't worry about it and removed the salad from the table. I got kinda pissed at that point and said I wanted to settle my tab, he threatened to call the cops.
4) Got denied entrance to a club once because "didn't look like my license picture" because I had a beard.
5) Got searched/interviewed by a TSA supervisor because I had an FAA badge (FYI this means lots of background checks and is a registered and federally controlled photo ID...) and they thought it was 'suspicious' I had one from a 'weird airport' (OK? lol).
6) Had two cops come up on opposite sides of my car to 'interview' me in an airport garage when I had a battery run out coming back from a flight. After I talked to one dude he waved off the other patrol car that was coming to that floor and then his partner came over. Had 4 ways on and was on the phone with the jumpstart people so not sure what was super suspicious.

I mean, I dunno how they compare. All of those probably could have been avoided wearing different clothes, maybe. Or I guess I just look suspicious? Maybe SOP or paranoid people? Dunno.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
No offense to Brahma, but he's also a big, big dude. I can see them grabbing backup "just in case" simply because he's massive. But yeah, black dudes (in lower Central Cali, we have lots of people of color in general) tend to get profiled the more "thug" they look to the average white cop. Friend of mine has a bit of swagger in his clothing tastes, and he sounds like you would expect a less than well educated gentleman from Compton in the 80's to sound. If he even -looks- like he might roll through a stop sign on his pedal bike (people do that shit like, nonstop all day every day) he's going to get pulled over for RWB. It's definitely still a thing, even here in the bastion of racial freedom. Guy is nice as shit, but he definitely understands the modus operandi and keeps his id and registration for his car in a plastic envelope within easy reach of one hand in his car at all times, just in case. It's sad, but for him it's just a step he has to take. As white dude in the same area, if I get pulled over (I may have to run over like, 2-3 asian students in a row, in front of a cop car) I would have no real hurry to my actions.

Granted, I'm also 5'6" and probably the least intimidating person around. My friend from above is 6'4" and fairly yoked. Could be more than just skin color to factor into it. But I'd say that skin color is definitely still a factor =/

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Brahma, you drive the General Lee? Please tell me you got the full paint job with the rebel flag on top and everything.

Honestly bro, I think it's more the sports car than anything else. I always drive pickups or 10+ year old cars and the closest I've come to a bullshit stop was a cop saying I was speeding when there's no way I could have accelerated that fast. He got on the PA and made me get out the car, so I played it safe and treated it like a felony stop. While he was writing the ticket he asked why I backed up with my hands up, then assumed the position on the tailgate. I said I didn't know why he stopped me or why he was afraid to come up to the window, so I was assuming a case of mistaken identity and didn't wanna get shot for it. He claimed it was department policy when making a stop after dark to have the driver exit their vehicle first.

iannis

Musty Nester
Nah, driving while black is a thing.

I've only EVER had one cop hassle me. And he was a black state trooper. And he didn't even hassle me that much, he was just a shithead.

My interaction with the po-po is pretty rare, but generally has been extremely friendly. I was speeding down a back country road one time and didn't even see the cop. He pulled me over and asked, "Did you even see me? It's like you SPED UP as you passed me". "Nah man, I didn't even see ya. You hid good!" And this is when I was younger with longer hair and a beared, I looked like a real damn hippie... so he asked if he could search my truck. I told him fine, but he found any weed back there I wanted that shit back before he arrested me. He just laughed at me, didn't even search the car, and wrote me a ticket for 9 over. And that's generally how cop interactions go. I mean I still get a fucking ticket most of the time... but what the fuck, they have a quota to meet. A job's a job.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm white and my wife's Korean, her parents moved to SoCal from Brazil shortly before she was born. She's had plenty of people yell at her about going back to where she came from and the like. Also all kinds of creepy looks and weird questions pervs of all ages.

Old asian ladies give us dirty looks too.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>

That's pretty much it.

Without a doubt. I use to recruit in Lancaster County PA a few years ago and every time there was a car pulled over by a statie and there were more than two state cars there it was always two thing, NY tags and a black dude. Every time. At first I use to laugh when I saw two state cars with them always outside of their car then I started to notice it was always NY tags and I thought it was odd. Finally it dawned on me that it was always black dudes.

I know that being a white non trailer trash dude, I'm less inclined to get fucked with by the cops and it pisses me off that there are people out there that, that's not the case for them.