Racism - Lets keep it civil. Also, Gravy is white.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I did get hassled by a cop once now that I think about it. My car died like a week after I moved to California right out of college and rather than going into debt immediately after starting a new job I bought this shitty old Ford pickup for $3000 and drove that until I got a bit more established and saved up a few bucks. The speedometer went out in it so I didn't know how fast I was going so I was nervously watching the police car behind me in my rear view mirror and sure enough he pulls me over. I thought I was speeding but he asked me if I had been drinking and said I was "driving a little erratically". I told him the truth that my speedometer was out and I was worried about there being a cop behind me and not knowing how fast I was going. He saw my work badge from (government institution in town with a lot of security and where people usually drive nicer cars than I was driving) and he asked about that and then to see my license and registration. I opened my glove box and there was a box of empty rifle brass in there. He wanted to see that so I handed it to him to check that there were no live rounds in there (not that carrying live rounds is illegal). Then he wanted to know if there was a gun in the car. I told him there wasn't. He told me "I have a friend that works at (previously mentioned government institution) and I don't think they would like you having that brass in there. I wanted to be like "I work there myself and I don't think they care if there is some harmless metal in my glove box" but I just said thanks for the info. Then he asked to search the car for guns. I consented and got out of the car. It only takes 13 seconds to search a standard cab pickup, he basically looked behind and under the seat, then told me to get my speedometer fixed and sent me on my way.

That's a pretty boring story but TL/DR is that I did nothing wrong but I had a combination of things that made the cop think he should check me out. Basically I got profiled but I doubt my race was a factor. If I was black it might have been depending on the cop.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You also have to consider that Brahma scores really high on the prejudice and stereotype handbook. Sports car, loud color, probably playing that "black music", black man, very very big black man, you can take the usual prejudice against black men and multiply that shit by 100 when your Brahmas size. I didn't even mention his taste in style which would score high again. Combine all that and people who are prejudice or racist are going to see him as a suspect 100% of the time. It isn't right or fair but it's never gonna change until people accept they are prejudice and realize why. I'm honestly surprised Brahma hasn't been shot dead yet getting out of that car with his Ronald Mcdonald shoes, hell a cop might have a heart attack if they saw him.

7372149896dec1d210696fdb06498113.jpg

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Before you read this BS that happened to me this morning...I have a question. Do you white folk believe that black folk are treated equally by the police in general?

I drive a 2014 Challenger RT. Orange. Decent car. Nothing special, but it stands out. I have been pulled over maybe 3 times in me owning the car less than a year for no reason what so ever. Give my license and registration, don't even ask what is the problem officer. Just wait a few minutes, wait for the BS lie as to why they pulled me over, and go about my way.

Today pissed me the fuck off.

Pulled over on my way to work by the towns local police of where I work. (Affluent town BTW)I am pulled over immediately coming out of the rotary. Did my usual routine of getting my licence and registration ready. My hand is out the window with both items. Cop gets up to the window and is pissed. Says to me, "You're going to be a smart ass". I say nothing in return. Second cop car pulls up. I'm now worried. 3rd cop car, WTF. Cops ask me to get out the car. I get out.

At this point the ONLY thing I can think of is that my insurance is due. But it is automatic against my credit card. Maybe the new chipped cards are out and my old card is no good...I'm just running thru everything.

I ask what is going on as nicely as pie. I am told to shut it and sit down. I do as I am told. I sit my fat ass on the curb. This shit is embarrassing as fuck because I am literally at work now. Everyone who I DON'T know at work is passing by and looking at me like "WTF I KNEW he was an evil man"!

Three of my co workers that sit in the same area pull over thank god to see what has happened! One of them is my best friend at work. I will honestly say this though. Never did I think these guys outside my bud would in any way stop to make sure I was OK. Thru all the BS going on I point over to these guys and say these fellas here know me...

This is where shit gets pissy for me. They ask TWO of the coworkers do they know me. Three are there standing next to each other. Both vouch telling them I am a Sr. IT engineer for this company right fuckin there. They ignore the third coworker.

By this time, traffic is backing up and everyone is just rubber necking. I am REALLY embarrassed at this point.

The original two cops go pow wow a little longer then come back to me and hand me back my license and registration. I am now livid. My buddy asks what was the issue. He is told they got a report of an incident in the area, and my car matched the description. I have not seen ONE orange fuckin challenger yet since I have owned the car. I am finally told by the cops in the 3rd car (who wasn't fuckin even there!!!) that I was pulled over because I didn't signal while exiting the rotary as I went into the right lane. I was IN the right lane! So even THAT was a lie. And you need 3 cruisers for that?

Anyway...I get in my car and bring my ass to work. My bud and coworkers know I am pissed, but we hit the cafe and talk anyway...I tell them everything that happened before they showed up...blah blah blah. Two of my coworkers see nothing wrong even though the reasons are different for pulling me over. The third guy, whom the cops ignored finally says to the others..."you guys do see why he was pulled over right"? He then points out how they were asked if they knew me, and he was not..."so what?" they pretty much say. They honestly can't see why I am angry.

That's pretty much it.

Now, am I being a black man angry at the world for nothing? Making something out of nothing? Let this go (not that I have a choice here really)...OR do I have a right to be upset.
Third guy was black of course
You have the right to be upset. That all sounds like total bullshit. That cop pulled you over for DWB, it's obvious.

I had a black woman try to embarrass me at work on purpose in order to step over me and aggrandize herself in front of others. And you know what? She was 100% flat outwrongabout what she was saying, as I knew she was, as I later confirmed with a neurologist and a neurosurgeon. This happened last year. She balked very vocally and faux-offendedly when I took a blood pressure on the affected arm of a stroke patient. She acted like one might act if they watched veterinarian grab a dog by the collar and throw it across the room or something. Absolute shock, horror, and righteous indignation. The details are boring but she basically laughed in my face and told me I needed to study if I ever hoped to make it to where she was in life (Captain) while inciting those around her to join in. It was shameful. She was the highest ranked person in the room.

The two doctors confirmed that blood pressure would not change on the affected arm of the stroke patient. "Maybe 10 years later it would affect the blood pressure measured in the extremity, by a little bit" was what the Neurologist said. My words on scene were, "Strokes are neurological, not vascular." That is the moment when she loudly guffawed at me. The quantized moment of the ideological break.

You know what the word about her is too, don't you? This story being in this thread is a giveaway. As soon as I started telling that story irl people immediately came back with the reflection that she is an Affirmative Action poster child. A black female in a position of authority who doesn't know what she's doing and is using negativity to drive and spur the people around her.

I won't lie. I was an angry white man for a minute. But then I remembered. She's a fucking asshole. That's all it is. It's not because she's black or because she's a she. It's because she lacks common humility and decency of thought.

I feel really lost about race. First Ferguson then Mizzou, and it ain't over. Shit is a nightmare.

I remember feeling prideful about race when I was younger. Not pride in my race, but rather pride that race wasn't a thing any more. I used to really believe that. It was a huge topic in our house and my parent's were in-your-face Anti-Racists all the way. My mom idolized MLK. They used to live on the north side. I was technically born in the Ferguson school district (we moved out when I was 6 months old). She always pointed out blatant racists and KKK people as being incorrect and undesirable. My older brother said something at school to a black kid once and got his assbeatwhen he got home. We watched Star Trek and were told how awesome it was for being so forward thinking about race. I still love that show for that reason today and I am always able to hold my Nerd Head high when I proclaim to non-nerds that Star Trek featured the first biracial kiss on TV. I'm always proud of that.

We saw the first black everything in sports. Many first blacks in politics. Many first blacks in business. First black firefighters. First blacks all around. Downright trendy.

I remember even saying to my parents once, "Isn't it great that your generation has given my generation a new kind of freedom? The freedom to no longer care about race." God I must have looked like a doe-eyed fucking simpleton.

I don't know what's happening any more. In no way do I defend those cops you dealt with. They are clearly goose-stepping fascists. But BLM people are clenched-fist fascists. But what can we do? What can either of us do as individuals? As men? What do you do about being sat down on the curb like a chump? What do I do about being talked down to like a chump?

Practice what you preach and lead by example. Preach the Golden Rule. Be Stronger Than All.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
the human race isn't equal. all of the human populations have genetic differences between them which are quantifiable and express themselves differently through culture and individual behavioural trends. blacks are better at basketball. asians are better at maths. no one argues these things but you aren't allowed to extrapolate further or you'll cross some magic line that triggers outrage among people. even one of the discoverers of DNA was vilified and socially destroyed because he said blacks aren't as smart as whites. why can't a scientist say that? it's ok to say asians and jews are smarter than whites?

the whole argument is bullshit. races are different. individuals are different. policy should cover the broad trends for each group and allow for the outlier individuals in each room to move.

all individuals are to be judged on their merits, all groups are to be judged by the actions of their individuals. it would all be pretty simple if the butthurt were extracted from the whole topic.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
blacks are better at basketball. asians are better at maths. it's ok to say asians and jews are smarter than whites?
I'm just going to pick this one out. The reason asians are 'better at math' is because their parents/family/community take education/being successful pretty damn seriously. Especially the groups that move away from their home countries to give their families more opportunity.

And sure, there are also genetic differences between groups/regions that lend toward a higher percentage of X characteristic within that group compared to another group. But you can't just say that all of group A is good at X, there are way too many factors that contribute to individual performance and skill.

Different doesn't mean not equal. If a university needs a math professor should they only consider asian applicants?

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Here's a good way to put it:

The difference between me and a black woman are statistically and genetically onlybarelymore than that between me and my own brother. The differences are real, but they are so inconsequential to the political sphere that we may as well not even bother noting them.

That's the way I try to look at it. Yes we're different. No, it probably doesn't matter in any significant way to the macrocosm.

I just got back from seeing Marlon Wayans do stand up live. we were front row and everything. My girl and I were 2 of about 15 total white people to a completely sold out show. I feel closer to the crowd now than I did when I got there. Good for Marlon. And it all goes back to what I told Tanoomba in the GG thread: Comics are the new clergy. The real truth-sayers.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
The different cultures that tend to (but not always) fall across racial lines do far more to impact those groups and keep them apart than any actual genetic differences.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Whenever a form assures Equal Opportunity and then asks for race, I don't dare put I'm white, because that phrasing has always felt as "we want to fill diversity quotas; Whites need not apply."

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I hate affirmative action. I understood the need for it back then, but now I don't think it's useful at all. It's literally discrimination against whites these days. Let the best qualified candidates get the job. And if they hire someone that they know instead of the best candidate, so what. It's their company. They can do as they like.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I hate affirmative action. I understood the need for it back then, but now I don't think it's useful at all. It's literally discrimination against whites these days. Let the best qualified candidates get the job. And if they hire someone that they know instead of the best candidate, so what. It's their company. They can do as they like.
It isn't possible to be racist against whites.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
When someone is straddling you bashing your head into the concrete, that's a position of power right?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
When someone is straddling you bashing your head into the concrete, that's a position of power right?
No, GOD, institutional power. And no, a BLACK PRESIDENT doesn't count because he is leading a primarily white government. GOD.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
No. You still need affirmative action unfortunately. I've seen it time and time again why. It's nothing to do with whitey keeping a brother down...it's because of peoples comfort levels. I'll explain.

The company I work at recently changed campuses. Once they announced this move my entire team left because of the commute increase. Mine fortunately decreased! Anyway...

The only ones that stay are my director and my VP. We need to put my team back together ASAP. My VP. Older white male 60ish years old? My director older white male mid 50's? Myself sexy older black male 45.

Lets skip the blatantly unqualified candidates.

Every candidate my VP put in front of me to interview was someone I could see him having a beer with. Everyone my director put in front of me to interview was someone that I could see him having a beer with. My candidates were someone I would have a beer with. All were equally qualified. We all thru in the token guy/gal of the opposite of who we were. Make sense?

We still ended up with an older white guy (It is IT after all). We all kinda beat around the bush about the candidates we each brought in. We got a chuckle out of how we each brought in people (minus the token candidate) we were comfortable with.

All that being said...There is no way that my candidates would have even been considered. Not because they were unqualified, but because it's those who were in charge are older white males, and that is who they are comfortable with. Older white males. 4 of the 6 of my candidates were black males. Who I am comfortable with. Middle age black males. It was obvious to me as I brought in my candidates, how this was panning out. It never crossed my bosses minds though until I mentioned the beer thing to my VP. No hate, no racism none of that...It's like I said. Who they felt comfortable around.

I think we need AA for a different reason now...but it is needed IMO.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
No. You still need affirmative action unfortunately. I've seen it time and time again why. It's nothing to do with whitey keeping a brother down...it's because of peoples comfort levels. I'll explain.

The company I work at recently changed campuses. Once they announced this move my entire team left because of the commute increase. Mine fortunately decreased! Anyway...

The only ones that stay are my director and my VP. We need to put my team back together ASAP. My VP. Older white male 60ish years old? My director older white male mid 50's? Myself sexy older black male 45.

Lets skip the blatantly unqualified candidates.

Every candidate my VP put in front of me to interview was someone I could see him having a beer with. Everyone my director put in front of me to interview was someone that I could see him having a beer with. My candidates were someone I would have a beer with. All were equally qualified. We all thru in the token guy/gal of the opposite of who we were. Make sense?

We still ended up with an older white guy (It is IT after all). We all kinda beat around the bush about the candidates we each brought in. We got a chuckle out of how we each brought in people (minus the token candidate) we were comfortable with.

All that being said...There is no way that my candidates would have even been considered. Not because they were unqualified, but because it's those who were in charge are older white males, and that is who they are comfortable with. Older white males. 4 of the 6 of my candidates were black males. Who I am comfortable with. Middle age black males. It was obvious to me as I brought in my candidates, how this was panning out. It never crossed my bosses minds though until I mentioned the beer thing to my VP. No hate, no racism none of that...It's like I said. Who they felt comfortable around.

I think we need AA for a different reason now...but it is needed IMO.
Why would you be more comfortable with black males than white males? Why did the race of the candidate even enter your mind?

Also, how the fuck did you even find 4 black IT guys

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Why would you be more comfortable with black males than white males? Why did the race of the candidate even enter your mind?

Also, how the fuck did you even find 4 black IT guys
They all were my buds or co-workers over the years that are in IT that I was cool with. It didn't cross my mind they were black males... Just me getting my buds in the door. Other 2 were two white males though younger than me that worked with me at BU. I'm comfortable with everyone regardless of race. Some of my best friends are white!

EDIT:

I guess I should answer your question huh? Because around them there is no "fitting in". Nothing I have to pretend to like for the betterment of the team. Like the guy that sits behind me. Older Irish guy who I have ZERO, and I mean ZERO in common with. I can't relate to him in any way. His stories about growing up are so far from my stories that I don't even bring up my past. If I told him I fought pit bulls he would explode on me. My candidates would just pretty much ask where and did I know Rollo.

My four candidates...almost to a man they have pretty much grown up in the same manner. We have the same things in common from women to priorities. The white candidates we are all gamers btw.