Racism - Lets keep it civil. Also, Gravy is white.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I figured you'd be disbelieving of the part where there are reasonable muslims. Really, you don't think there are non evangelical hindus?
Hindus I don't think are evangelical, no. But dude I work in a big law firm with 95% white people in TX. They're all either christian or atheist and either way you don't want to be discussing religion with them.

I think it's just a policy I have of not injecting my personal life in my work. I'm very much a chameleon at work, I could be a lot of things because I don't talk about it. I listen to others and nod and go on with my day and DO WORK (when not posting on rerolled) which is what is expected of me. Work is not social hour where you talk about your religion or your racial politics or your kids. Fucking do your work and go home.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Preface this by saying this isn't a complaint just a general experience I had.

So my wife's friend was having an anniversary dinner. We were invited and attended. My wife's friend is black and it turned out we were the only white people in the room of maybe 30 people. I somewhat saw the other side of the coin because the way people introduced themselves towards me and communicated to me was wildly, wildly different than the way they were interacting with everyone else. At first I thought it was because they didn't know me and they knew all the other people but I gathered many of these people were meeting for the first time. I could see if I wasn't a majority and instead was a minority where these situations were more common this would start to become an exhausting process where everyday you see people interacting with "their people" differently than interacting with me.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I should learn photoshop, so I can get in on the racket of inserting minorities into marketing materials.

My favorite person to make over the top, blatantly racist remarks to at work was a black female semi-SJW. I wonder if she secretly hated me.

An example would be petitioning the government for slavery reparations as a free ticket back to Africa.

EDIT: Oh, now I remember the tidbit I wanted to share. The first time my black uncle approached me and performed a homey handshake it reminded me of the time I was drunk dancing with a drunk girl who tried to pull a spin move. Much awkward.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

So my wife's friend was having an anniversary dinner. We were invited and attended. My wife's friend is black and it turned out we were the only white people in the room of maybe 30 people. I somewhat saw the other side of the coin because the way people introduced themselves towards me and communicated to me was wildly, wildly different than the way they were interacting with everyone else. At first I thought it was because they didn't know me and they knew all the other people but I gathered many of these people were meeting for the first time. I could see if I wasn't a majority and instead was a minority where these situations were more common this would start to become an exhausting process where everyday you see people interacting with "their people" differently than interacting with me.
I get this with the big asian groups. I go into Hong Kong supermarket etc and they all stare at me like I'm about to drop my pants and take a dump in the middle of the aisle. It's understandable, and I do my best not to treat minorities any differently than I treat anybody else. I don't know how successful I am at that in their perception.

Tenks

I get this with the big asian groups. I go into Hong Kong supermarket etc and they all stare at me like I'm about to drop my pants and take a dump in the middle of the aisle. It's understandable, and I do my best not to treat minorities any differently than I treat anybody else. I don't know how successful I am at that in their perception.
They tried but you could tell it was forced when they were interacting with me. It is impossible to quantify but you could tell they were just trying very hard to have this forced interaction with me. I imagine once you step over the line of "Ok make sure you're not acting different around them" you are actually, in fact, acting differently. Because you have the presence of mind to try to not be different.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
What bugs me is, of all the things to appropriate from black culture, you kids have decided to steal their baffling attraction to disgusting disproportionate bubble butts. What the fuck?

Tenks

I don't think the current model of attractiveness for whites is necessarily a bubble butt. It is just a shift over from the 90lb rail thin semi-anorexic girl to now a more athletically toned girl. And with having an athletic build comes with a larger, rounder ass than the models of 10 years ago.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Not trying to be adversarial here, but why the fuck are you talking about politics at work? The only values you have that should matter at work are: do you get your work done? Great. I'd wager nobody at my law firm has any clue about my politics or religious views or anything because I never talk about it. If everyone would do the same...

How do you dress and what sort of face do you make when you meet people? If it gives a bad first impression, why don't you change that?

I mean... do you think white people don't watch what they say?
Oh jeez...people here at work are NUTS about politics. Religion not so much, but politics, that's all these guys talk about. When asked I usually change the subject, but with Trump they want to really know my opinion. I give it, and they flip out, or tell me how wrong I am. I mean these guys are REALLY upset to the point I walk away because I really wonder if they would think it's worth getting their nose broke from striking me 1st. I honestly walk away laughing at them.

I scowl. Always have. Just my resting face. Habit over the years of trying to look tough I guess. I dress pretty much how you think a thug would dress. Hoodie, T shirt, Jeans, Timbs. It's what I wear. We have no dress code, but it obviously turns people off. I'm comfortable. I give up so much daily in my mannerism and attitude...let me just dress the way I want guys. You don't see me complaining about your ripped up shirts and crappy sneakers.

Do I think white people watch what they say? Here at my job not nearly on the level I do. Twice I have been to HR this year because someone said they felt threatened by my tone. My fuckin TONE! Thank goodness others were around. I also have to stay totally out of conversations about growing up. Soon as you mention Roxbury people start asking you all sorta questions that are totally just silly and inappropriate.

The older white guys here are so politically incorrect it's hilarious. We have an old dude here I'm told he used to call me "that negro in the cube by the windows". (I HOPE it's negro) Now I AM that negro in the cube by the windows...so I find it funny. Plus I know, he knows no better, and he honestly means no harm or malice. That was just their time what you called black folk. Plus I care less. I went and introduced myself to him making sure he heard my name a bazillion times, and he's cool now.

Day in the life...shit's just funny man.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Oh jeez...people here at work are NUTS about politics. Religion not so much, but politics, that's all these guys talk about. When asked I usually change the subject, but with Trump they want to really know my opinion. I give it, and they flip out, or tell me how wrong I am. I mean these guys are REALLY upset to the point I walk away because I really wonder if they would think it's worth getting their nose broke from striking me 1st. I honestly walk away laughing at them.
Thats kind of a shitty work environment then.. I'd probably evade those questions rather than answer. But if they push for answers they deserve the answers. On the other hand you don't want to create drama for yourself.

I scowl. Always have. Just my resting face. Habit over the years of trying to look tough I guess. I dress pretty much how you think a thug would dress. Hoodie, T shirt, Jeans, Timbs. It's what I wear. We have no dress code, but it obviously turns people off. I'm comfortable. I give up so much daily in my mannerism and attitude...let me just dress the way I want guys. You don't see me complaining about your ripped up shirts and crappy sneakers.
So you're a thug-dressed scowling gigantic black man, and you wonder why people have a certain first impression... lol

Why don't you try wearing some slacks, oxford shirt, and some wingtips to work for a month and see what happens? And fucking smile.

Do I think white people watch what they say? Here at my job not nearly on the level I do. Twice I have been to HR this year because someone said they felt threatened by my tone. My fuckin TONE! Thank goodness others were around. I also have to stay totally out of conversations about growing up. Soon as you mention Roxbury people start asking you all sorta questions that are totally just silly and inappropriate.
Whats Roxbury? And if you look like you do and dress like you do, you probably have to try ten times as hard to not appear threatening to people and therefore people think your "tone" is a lot worse than it is.

The older white guys here are so politically incorrect it's hilarious. We have an old dude here I'm told he used to call me "that negro in the cube by the windows". (I HOPE it's negro) Now I AM that negro in the cube by the windows...so I find it funny. Plus I know, he knows no better, and he honestly means no harm or malice. That was just their time what you called black folk. Plus I care less. I went and introduced myself to him making sure he heard my name a bazillion times, and he's cool now.
Thats kinda messed up.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

I was half-expecting you to cry at the end. Reminds me of the episode of Tyra in the fat suit where she cried at the end

Believe it or not I cannot find it on youtube.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Whats Roxbury? And if you look like you do and dress like you do, you probably have to try ten times as hard to not appear threatening to people and therefore people think your "tone" is a lot worse than it is.
It's a part of Boston, maybe old white people are afraid of now? I don't know, my mother spent most of her childhood hanging around there and mission hill. As teenagers me and my buddies would hang on Dudley street/Warren street area. I don't know if Brahma is trying to come off hard or something, but Roxbury is like any major cities urban area. It's nothing like Middle East Baltimore or Southside Chicago.

The more I read Brahma though, the more convinced I am he means West Roxbury, probably went to CM or some other nice private school.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
yesterday I went to a bar with a black friend of mine, after a couple drinks he left to walk down the street and buy a pack of cigarettes.

The bartender(young white girl) comes up and asked where he went. I tell her he went to buy cigarettes.
She says: "oh he should have asked me. i would have given him one of mine.... actually i only have marlboros and he looks like he smokes newports"

I shook my head in disapproval, and she said "oh god that was so racist. if you promise not to tell your friend about this i will buy your next beer"

score one for white privilege

iannis

Musty Nester
It's not racist tho if he smokes fucking Newports.

And 99.9% of black people smoke menthols. Maybe not newport specifically, but menthol. Whenever a black guy asks to bum a cig off me I always gotta tell him he's more than welcome to take two, but they're not menthols. 75% of the time they'll say, "Thanks. I just ran outta newports".