Racism - Lets keep it civil. Also, Gravy is white.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
rac?ism
'ra?siz?m/Submit
noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
You don't have to think of the trait necessarily as inferior for it to be racist. Casting a belief on an entire race of people before knowing the individual is itself a racist act. "Racist" doesn't mean you have to don the white hood and get the fire hose but if you do so strongly believe that all black people smoke Newports that is a racist belief.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
You don't have to think of the trait necessarily as inferior for it to be racist. Casting a belief on an entire race of people before knowing the individual is itself a racist act. "Racist" doesn't mean you have to don the white hood and get the fire hose but if you do so strongly believe that all black people smoke Newports that is a racist belief.
Under your definition even saying black people are dark colored would be racist. Black people have kinky hair? Racist.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
It is stupid to say that qualities that are character neutral are racists. Stereotypical != racists.

It is not racist to assume I dance salsa. It is not racist to say that I park my car on the lawn. It is not racist to assume that white rice is part of almost every meal I take.

It's a disservice and diminishes the power of the word.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Guys...

16537281.jpg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
We could always ask the dictionary.

rac?ism
'ra?siz?m/
noun
1) the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
2) prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Saying black people are dark skinned is not racism because that is the defining characteristic in this context. It's like saying all cars are cars. Assuming that black people act in a certain way because of the color of their skin is racism even if it is statistically likely. Obviously not all black people smoke menthol cigarettes but a lot do. Assuming that they do because they are black is absolutely racist. To say otherwise is just incorrect.

I never got the fried chicken and watermelon thing. Who in the hell doesn't like fried chicken and watermelon? They are both delicious.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
We could always ask the dictionary.

rac?ism
'ra?siz?m/
noun
1) the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
2) prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Saying black people are dark skinned is not racism because that is the defining characteristic in this context. It's like saying all cars are cars. Assuming that black people act in a certain way because of the color of their skin is racism even if it is statistically likely. Obviously not all black people smoke menthol cigarettes but a lot do. Assuming that they do because they are black is absolutely racist. To say otherwise is just incorrect.

I never got the fried chicken and watermelon thing. Who in the hell doesn't like fried chicken and watermelon? They are both delicious.
Smoking menthol is not specific to black people, so it doesn't meet your definition.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Saying black people are dark skinned is not racism because that is the defining characteristic in this context. It's like saying all cars are cars.
Shaun King
Rachel Dolezal

Fucking racist, how dare you think all black people have to be dark skinned?

Assuming that black people act in a certain way because of the color of their skin is racism even if it is statistically likely. Obviously not all black people smoke menthol cigarettes but a lot do. Assuming that they do because they are black is absolutely racist. To say otherwise is just incorrect.
Actually, there's nothing wrong with making snap judgements based on someone's appearance. It doesn't turn racist unless it's a judgement the facts cannot dissuade you from. It's what we humans do to survive. We see patterns and expect them to repeat.

I fucking hate chicken. They are disgusting creatures. Nothing else we typically eat (in the US) is as disease ridden and dangerous to handle as chicken. Why can't the stereotype be chicken fried steak? I loves me some Chicken Fried Steak!

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Actually, there's nothing wrong with making snap judgements based on someone's appearance. It doesn't turn racist unless it's a judgement the facts cannot dissuade you from. It's what we humans do to survive. We see patterns and expect them to repeat.
Whether or not it is wrong, it IS racist. You can make an argument that some racism is harmless or even beneficial, but it's still racism.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Whether or not it is wrong, it IS racist. You can make an argument that some racism is harmless or even beneficial, but it's still racism.
The definition they're bandying about is pretty specific though. It says "the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race".

Nobody is saying ALL black people like menthols, or eat fried chicken, or wear timberlands. But many do! However there are many who do not. This "belief" would not be racism under that definition. It's just a stereotype.

If you use the word racism the way you guys are using it, it loses all meaning. If everything is racism, nothing is racism. Try to save it for actual racists, jesus christ.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Always find it funny its a okay to generalize groups of people so long as its not by ethnicity.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think what Brutal and I are trying to convey is racism in of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact I think basically everyone is racist to a certain extent. But you can't say something like "All black people are criminals" is a definitively racist belief and at the same time say "All black people smoke menthols" is not racist simply because you don't think it is as disparaging.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I think what Brutal and I are trying to convey is racism in of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact I think basically everyone is racist to a certain extent. But you can't say something like "All black people are criminals" is a definitively racist belief and at the same time say "All black people smoke menthols" is not racist simply because you don't think it is as disparaging.
Anytime you say "all" people of any group do anything or have any trait, it's just stupid, because groups don't work like that. So if thats your position, call it whatever you want because nobody is saying that.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Maybe you have a problem with the definition of the word, but it's pretty clear. I invite you to point out where I said that "everything" is racism. Racism has a simple and specific definition. It also has an extremely negative connotation in our society and I think that is why you object to the less offensive examples of racism being referred to as such, but it doesn't change the meaning of the word. As I said, you could argue that assuming a black person does certain things is harmless (maybe it is, maybe it isn't) but to say that is isn't racism is just factually incorrect.