Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hateful Eight - 9/10 (Amazing Dialogue, Interesting Characters, Fun Violence, Good Atmosphere. Ended too early).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

I hate TCM because when I want to watch a movie I end up watching three... anyway, that allowed me to watch again a film I first saw a long time ago: Nicholas Ray's 1954 proto-anti-western Johnny Guitar. The movie did not leave me with a strong impression the first time around (to the point I am not 100% sure I saw it before), but I suspect it's because I saw it while I was too tired to care. How else could I forget such a great movie? Fans of naturalism can move along, here every color is popping and every line is laced with venom! To top it off this good-word-athon moves an excellent and original plot at a good pace (it can also be read as a metaphor of McCarthyism - note that the adaptation was made by a blacklisted screenwriter). It aged extremely well, probably because it was decades ahead of its time (it got a very lukewarm critical reception in the US back in the days, but it fast became one of the favorite movie of some key figures of the French New Wave). 9/10

PS: Hateful Eight is a verbose snooze fest (though it's true that my group of friends is split in two: half enjoyed it, half was bored to tears).

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Spectral - 7/10 (good action, strong male lead, cool technology, interesting concept, a little campy and heavy-handed with plot dialogue but it works).

Sidenote: Netflix is the way of the future. Hollywood is a cemetery of empty plots waiting to be filled.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Last Knights - 4/10

I liked the world it was created but good god, the movie was so cliche, bland, predictable and the story has been overused a 1000 times before.
The idea was great but the execution was horrible.

Last edited:

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Saw A Monster Calls tonight. 8/10. Was not prepared for that feel trip, holy shit. Was a little slow at times, but otherwise a great movie. The kid actor knocked it out of the park.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Saw "Manchester by the Sea" Wednesday night. Holy fuck, depressing. Very well done, though. I wanted to re access my entire life after watching that movie. Ending was kind of abrupt, too. Acting was amazing. I don't know how Casey Affleck is so good, when his brother is so bad (for the most part).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Watched Gyllenhaal's 'Enemy' last night. This movie makes you feel as if you're stoned, even if you're as sober as the day you were born. This is neither a compliment or a complaint. Character reactions to situations make zero sense, but if you roll with it, it still somehow sucks you in. I'd probably give it a 5 / 10, but if you're bored it might be worth it. Ending is pretty lol.

iannis

Musty Nester
Watched Gyllenhaal's 'Enemy' last night. This movie makes you feel as if you're stoned, even if you're as sober as the day you were born. This is neither a compliment or a complaint. Character reactions to situations make zero sense, but if you roll with it, it still somehow sucks you in. I'd probably give it a 5 / 10, but if you're bored it might be worth it. Ending is pretty lol.

Is that the one with the spider?

I was mostly bored in that movie. Well, that's not true. About halfway through I figured out the device and it got boring. It was fairly interesting up until then. But the final ten seconds REALLY turn the entire thing around. Without those final ten seconds I'd have to go like 3/10. But with those final 10 seconds it's like 8/10.

The entire movie is fluffy dog joke. And that's pretty great.

But like a fluffy dog joke I doubt it bears repetition.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Is that the one with the spider?

I was mostly bored in that movie. Well, that's not true. About halfway through I figured out the device and it got boring. It was fairly interesting up until then. But the final ten seconds REALLY turn the entire thing around. Without those final ten seconds I'd have to go like 3/10. But with those final 10 seconds it's like 8/10.

The entire movie is fluffy dog joke. And that's pretty great.

But like a fluffy dog joke I doubt it bears repetition.

I liked Enemy a lot. Reminded me of David Lynch with the uneasy feeling all the time. But then I like those slow movies with not much happening in it, except weird psychological stuff.

• 1Like

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
More in-depth. Movies I got around to last week.

If you like Paul Thomas Anderson you might dig Inherent Vice. One of those you either get or you don't, which I didn't. 5.5/10. Good acting, some funny moments, overall meh.

Godzilla (2014). Another director would have gone a more typical route but it benefits from the less is more approach. Compared to previous Godzilla movies, especially the Broderick one, this is a masterpiece. 6/10

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I went ahead and watched True Stories, a quirky little film by David Byrne of the Talking Heads, at the recommendation of the folks at Red Letter Media and I liked it very much.

Would recommend, 8/10

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I went ahead and watched True Stories, a quirky little film by David Byrne of the Talking Heads, at the recommendation of the folks at Red Letter Media and I liked it very much.

Would recommend, 8/10

I love David Byrne! Will definitely watch.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
13 Hours 9/10 Still digesting it all, will watch again for sure.

Dredd 7/10 So much better than the crap Stallone version. One viewing is enough, but def. worth a watch.

Hyena Road 7/10 Canadians in Afghanistan. Acting was so so , but the story was pretty good. Some tense moments.

• 1Like

Szlia

Neruda, or what would happen if a poet-politician wrote his own biopic, half self-aggrandizing and half self-deprecating. A movie that manages to be supremely smart, beautiful and very often funny. My only problem with it is that the game of cat and mouse between the policeman and the communist poet in hiding is a little too playful when you consider political opponents were sent to concentration camps in the middle of the chilean desert (where many disappeared). BUT in a way that flaw isn't even one as it serves the discourse of the movie. 9/10

spronk

FPS noob
haven't watched but this note from someone who worked on the movie Monster Trucks, which opened this week to disaster, had me rolling. The movie cost $125m, was a passion project for the studio head (who got fired), was finished in 2015 but had to be re-edited for 2 years because... it scared kids. After this weekends opening Paramount decided to write it down as a $110m loss.

c895ea334711.jpg

• 1Like