Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I want to see what the original Monster looked like, everyone is pussy's these days so it might not have even been that bad

Screen-Shot-2016-10-31-at-16.03.15.png

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did they really think that monster truck CGI horse shit was going to make money?

Been watching old movies on Netflix while job searching.

Twelve O'Clock High - Solid 8/10 based on awesome story telling, character driven plot, and not being hardcore American propaganda while still being super interesting. The weakest part was the action. We've been spoiled with our action movies, and therefore I can't blame the movie for that. It is an excellent product of it's time, whose story holds up while its special effects do not. Recommended.

Patton - 6/10 because it was a very well put together movie, and a good story. It is a biopic, and I think it gives a very level-headed view of General Patton. I started off liking him for his fighting spirit, but his arrogance became annoying, and I found myself realizing my grandfather was full of shit. This guy was an asshole. But, I would recommend the movie. Had some pretty good battle scenes. Recommended.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just got home from "A Monster Calls". Holy shit, that's probably the hardest I've cried ever. I was holding it in, but full blown chin twitching tears. Wow.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I finally got around to watching Oblivion. That tom cruise sci-fi one.

I can see why people complained about it, but I thought it was pretty solid. If nothing else the production was really good. I'm sure a lot of that was CGI, but (and maybe i'm wrong) it also looked like they used models in some parts.

Which I think is kinda neat. I never used to give a fuck, but over the years the RLM guys have actually given me some appreciation for that sort of thing. Story was bland, but it was still a neat movie. Too many scenes of Tom kissing a girl though. They needed to cut that shit out.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Saw "Manchester by the Sea" Wednesday night. Holy fuck, depressing. Very well done, though. I wanted to re access my entire life after watching that movie. Ending was kind of abrupt, too. Acting was amazing. I don't know how Casey Affleck is so good, when his brother is so bad (for the most part).

Just watched this. Great performance by Affleck but my god that movie was depressing. I kept expecting everything to pull together and give some hope to the characters and it just never did.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The Guest - 4/10
The movie started like a thriller, you knew the main character was creepy and his story was very strange, something was not right.
but in the 3rd act....lol wtf? it turned out to be like a 90's action movie.
plus
He gets shot 3 times and stabbed twice (one of them in the chest!!!) and survives lol

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Phantasm - Ravager

Phantasm is a series I liked as a kid and even as a fan of the franchise this one is just horrible. There's a couple alright ideas sprinkled in and it has everyone back in their roles but goddamn is it terrible. It looks cheap, the special effects are all cheap, bad CGI, CGI blood, incoherent plot, bad self-referential humor, bad self-parody.

Angus Scrimm does a very good job.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Phantasm - Ravager

Phantasm is a series I liked as a kid and even as a fan of the franchise this one is just horrible. There's a couple alright ideas sprinkled in and it has everyone back in their roles but goddamn is it terrible. It looks cheap, the special effects are all cheap, bad CGI, CGI blood, incoherent plot, bad self-referential humor, bad self-parody.

Angus Scrimm does a very good job.
I'm not surprised by this. I listened to a podcast about this and this movie started with them fucking around and just filming footage. It sounded like a mess.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Don't know if there is a thread.

Xxx Return of xander cage - you just need to add aliens and a giant purple dildo, to be a Saints Row movie ahah.
Holy shit.... They knew what they were doing and that is why i liked it. Pure action bullshit
And the things i would do to Nina Dobrev and the indian chick....Trump would personally waterboard me.

6/10

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Edge of Seventeen with Hailee Steinfeld.

Pleasantly surprised by this movie. It is obviously a coming of age movie about a 17-year-old girl, so I wasn't expecting much, but it is worth watching for Woody Harrelson alone. His sarcasm and dry wit is a thing of beauty in this movie. I am still chuckling to myself thinking about several lines, and I watched it last night. It is also pretty good without that too, although typical fare and you know exactly what is going to happen at every major juncture. Still, I enjoyed it a lot.

Szlia

Cream of the crop of a bunch of movies I saw at a film festival this past week:

Her love boils bathwater (Yu o Wakasu Hodo no Atsui Ai): a japanese dramedy about a women with terminal cancer trying to have her family in working order before she dies. To quote the guy that presented the movie "You laugh, you cry, you laugh, you cry, you laugh, you cry, you cry, you cry." Other than the very end that is a bit too strange for my taste (possibly shooting for poetic, but hitting grotesque), the potency of this film is astounding, especially because it uses very little in the way of cheap editing tricks or musical effects. It's all in the writing and the performances. Amusingly, the punch line for the japanese trailer is something like "Be surprised at how moving this film is!" 8/10.

The Net: a fisherman get his net stuck in the propeller of his tiny boat and as a result finds himself on the wrong side of the body of water he set his net in. That would not be much of a story, but the fisherman is from North Korea and he is promptly arrested by South Korean authorities that wonder if he is a spy. A unpleasant situation made even more unpleasant by the fact everyone, the fisherman included, knows that if he is sent back to North Korea he will then be suspected there of being a spy! The film explores this conundrum in a way that is a bit heavy handed, but the pacing is very good. 7/10.

An Insignificant Man: an indian documentary about the formation of a political party (born as a reaction to the politicians' inability to vote an anti-corruption law) and its first electoral battle for the parliament of New Delhi. The film maker must have shot this with diapers, because the subject gave him so much brilliant material he must have been pissing himself again and again. Great scenes are followed by great scenes and the whole thing is edited like a political thriller. It also manages to not shy away from the less glorious sides of the movement's leader. Vote for the broom! 9/10.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I saw another $6 movie yesterday. The new Triple X. (xXx)?

What a huge hunk of shit. I expected to see something neat, but the movie should have been called "Look, I'm cool." Every single thing in the entire film was just Vin or his crew just being cool with no real substance. I mean, the new Jason Statham assassination movie. Mechanic was much better, even though it was almost the same thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
The Huntsman:Winters war Never watched this, assume there is more? Wasn't bad at all. Was like a milder Game of Thrones without as many midgets.

spronk

FPS noob
the first huntsman isn't good, it has kirsten stewart as snow white and she is terrible, but charlize theron is great in it as the same character. the movie kinda bombed so doubt you'll see any more

if you liked it tho i'd watch once upon a time and/or emerald city on TV, similarly themed fairly tale stories

Oldbased

> Than U
the first huntsman isn't good, it has kirsten stewart as snow white and she is terrible, but charlize theron is great in it as the same character. the movie kinda bombed so doubt you'll see any more

if you liked it tho i'd watch once upon a time and/or emerald city on TV, similarly themed fairly tale stories
I always thought Once upon a time would be to kid friendly for me, but I don't think I ever watched it. Didn't know about Emerald City. I will check it out.
I prefer stuff on the scale of say The 100 in terms of gritty/death. Games of Throne level would be best but we can't have it all.
Wasn't there another series years back Blood and Sand or something? I may have to check it out too.

spronk

FPS noob
I always thought Once upon a time would be to kid friendly for me, but I don't think I ever watched it. Didn't know about Emerald City. I will check it out.
I prefer stuff on the scale of say The 100 in terms of gritty/death. Games of Throne level would be best but we can't have it all.
Wasn't there another series years back Blood and Sand or something? I may have to check it out too.

Spartacus is the Blood and Sand show, not fairy tale but if you haven't watched spartacus its fantastic. Three seasons of Spartacus plus one prequel season. It definitely tops 100 in terms of story and violence, even tops Game of Thrones. Black Sails (pirates) is another show I'd rate as highly watchable.

Once upon a time can be gritty and dark and violent at times, but it is aimed at women and kids. I still enjoy it. Emerald City is weird, its darker again but the writing and acting is pretty bad but it does explore the land of Oz in a great way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user