Rings of Power: Tolkien's Shambling Skinsuit

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
called it. theres big mommas house
i was thinking Big Mama started a dorf gospel choir.
glee-mercedes-jones.gif

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
We've never seen Dwarven women before, maybe they're all black.

In season two we learn that the Entwives are actually all gasoline-sniffing Abos.

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Well, looks better than Wheel of Time, I'll give it that much.

Course, after WoT, I'm not inclined to give Amazon the benefit of the doubt, short of this thing getting glowing reviews across the board.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Masakari

Which way, western man?
<Gold Donor>
LMFAO save me it.

However, the reveals have come with sadly predictable backlash from certain members of the community, as Vanity Fair’s new images showed that the Amazon series will include people of colour. Before we get any further, I want to make this clear: whether you’re trolling, gatekeeping, plain old racist, or all of the above, you have no place in this fandom.

It’s sadly not surprising that comments are usually rooted in misogyny, too; I’ve seen far more people complain about Sophia Nomvete’s dwarf princess Disa - the first Black dwarf in a Tolkien adaptation - than Córdova’s elf or Henry’s harfoot. As is so often the way with these things, racism and sexism go hand in hand, and the most marginalised people suffer for it.

A lot of the criticism about hiring non-white actors stems from the premise that Tolkien was trying to create a mythology for Britain. We return to the illuminating Letter 131, which Professor Tolkien wrote to Milton Waldman. In this, he describes his idea to create a legend for England and that Middle-earth is based on “the clime and soil of the North West, meaning Britain and the hither parts of Europe.” However, the assumption that all people in this region were white stems from 19th Century white nationalism in Germany, and later Nazi propaganda.

wa4nBycF_400x400.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Pathetic

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
LMFAO save me it.

However, the reveals have come with sadly predictable backlash from certain members of the community, as Vanity Fair’s new images showed that the Amazon series will include people of colour. Before we get any further, I want to make this clear: whether you’re trolling, gatekeeping, plain old racist, or all of the above, you have no place in this fandom.

It’s sadly not surprising that comments are usually rooted in misogyny, too; I’ve seen far more people complain about Sophia Nomvete’s dwarf princess Disa - the first Black dwarf in a Tolkien adaptation - than Córdova’s elf or Henry’s harfoot. As is so often the way with these things, racism and sexism go hand in hand, and the most marginalised people suffer for it.

A lot of the criticism about hiring non-white actors stems from the premise that Tolkien was trying to create a mythology for Britain. We return to the illuminating Letter 131, which Professor Tolkien wrote to Milton Waldman. In this, he describes his idea to create a legend for England and that Middle-earth is based on “the clime and soil of the North West, meaning Britain and the hither parts of Europe.” However, the assumption that all people in this region were white stems from 19th Century white nationalism in Germany, and later Nazi propaganda.

wa4nBycF_400x400.jpg
did he just call Tolkien a nazi? let me get this straight, according to him, Tolkien is bad, his fans are bad and this queer is mad because he wants people to like a show based off Tolkien's work? maybe he should be mad at Amazon for paying a quarter billion to make this show? why didnt they pay 250m for a black based property about black legends and black mythology?

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Masakari

Which way, western man?
<Gold Donor>
did he just call Tolkien a nazi? let me get this straight, according to him, Tolkien is bad, his fans are bad and this queer is mad because he wants people to like a show based off Tolkien's work? maybe he should be mad at Amazon for paying a quarter billion to make this show? why didnt they pay 250m for a black based property about black legends and black mythology?
They never make sense, they just change reality in their heads to justify anything. Even if self-contradictory.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They never make sense, they just change reality in their heads to justify anything. Even if self-contradictory.
they always hijack once beloved IPs, they never make up their own new IPs. why dont they ever make a Kangz series of films? show off all their marvelous inventions and technological skills?

• 1Like

Masakari

Which way, western man?
<Gold Donor>
they always hijack once beloved IPs, they never make up their own new IPs. why dont they ever make a Kangz series of films? show off all their marvelous inventions and technological skills?
Too un-relatable to that demographic.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
It looks too much like the Hobbit movies.. too clean and hyper realistic. That same style you get from daytime drama tv.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
they have to CGI airbrush filter the diverse cast.

bezos didn't pull through on that shea butter

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Amazing they haven't turned off comments yet because someone's paying a botfarm to post negative comments on it, it's 3-4 of the same lines over and over. Not that they're wrong.

View attachment 398354
2k likes to 2.3k dislikes. thats not good even for likes. they need a shitload more. i think Spidey no way home had like 75k likes in the first day the trailer got released. its up to 2.9 million. i dont think Lord of the Kangz is going to reach that. the original Fellowship of the Ring trailer posted on youtube 11 years ago has 23k likes. i doubt it even gets that.

• 2Like

kroenen

Regimen Morum
LMFAO save me it.

wa4nBycF_400x400.jpg
2 EYEB_BW1qwJrjlPyJ4DBHg.jpeg

Globohomo guy with "support independent media" t-shirt :trump:

• 3Worf
  • 2Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
We've never seen Dwarven women before, maybe they're all black.

In season two we learn that the Entwives are actually all gasoline-sniffing Abos.

Why would someone who lives perpetually underground be all black? Dwarves should be super pale.

• 1Like

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yet another reason why they need to bring back the dislike visibility.

1644843993022.png

(You can bring the dislike view back with an extension to your browser)

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Why would someone who lives perpetually underground be all black? Dwarves should be super pale.
Maybe they used to be coal miners :emoji_grin:

Also, Tolkien wrote this about dwarfs.

"No Man nor Elf has ever seen a beardless Dwarf - unless he were shaven in mockery, and would then be more like to die of shame... For the Naugrim have beards from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike..."

So, a female dwarf without beard? Very odd considering this genderfluid nonsense they're pushing all the time. Probably the usual jogger pampering in play...

• 3Like

Mahes

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maybe they used to be coal miners :emoji_grin:

Also, Tolkien wrote this about dwarfs.

"No Man nor Elf has ever seen a beardless Dwarf - unless he were shaven in mockery, and would then be more like to die of shame... For the Naugrim have beards from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike..."

So, a female dwarf without beard? Very odd considering this genderfluid nonsense they're pushing all the time. Probably the usual jogger pampering in play...
Not just a female dwarf but a female dwarf princess. Royalty would be the very representation of their society. Her beard would be magnificent.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users