SimCity

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm going to build a small town. Everyone works at the big mill, everyone knows eachother. The local highschool hockey team just made it to the playoffs! Life was good in small town Adebicity.

Until meth from Big PHX starting flooding in...
So does this mean I can play the Police State and send over help?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
In all seriousness I'm looking forward to developing a central business district focused metropolis. I've always been big on the high rises. I wonder what kind of industry I could focus on to do that. Can we run stock exchanges, banks, etc.? Either that or I'd like to run a big port city. Neither of those have been a focus in the videos, so I'm curious how they'll work. Chicago/New York/London/etc. is my goal.

I'd really like something with the inter-related mechanics we're going to get here and the modding/customization of MineCraft. This being Maxis, I don't expect a lot of coloring outside the lines.

My prediction is that outside of multiplayer this game will provide 2 weeks of entertainment and the next 2 weeks worth will be xpac'd in 6 months later.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Not defending it (don't really care anyways) but the always on internet connection is also due to some of the sim processing being done on EA's side.

?GlassBox does more than just segregate computing tasks [however], it also allows us to make it so that you can create specialized cities that are visually unique and personalized, and that can be economically integrated into a larger region,? continues Bradshaw. ?You?re always connected to the neighbors in your region so while you play, data from your city interacts with our servers, and we run the simulation at a regional scale.

?For example, trades between cities, simulation effects that cause change across the region like pollution or crime, as well as depletion of resources, are all processed on the servers and then data is sent back to your city on your PC. Every city in the region is updated every three minutes, which keeps the overall region in sync and makes your decisions in your city relevant to any changes that have taken place in the region.?

Phew. Those are the best reasons for always-on connection silliness SimCity has.Then there?s the social and competitive stuff we?re all familiar with, that lies at the gooey centre of most of our online games.

?Running the regional simulation on our servers is something we also use to support features that will make this SimCity even more fun. We use the Sim data to update worldwide leaderboards, where you get to see your city or mayoral standings as compared to the other cities in your region and between all of the regions in the world. And since SimCity is a live service, we're also using the data to create weekly global and local challenges for our players that keep the gameplay fresh and surprising.?
http://www.pcgamesn.com/simcity/simc...ays-maxis-boss

Dom_sl

shitlord
My city will be a 1x1 square of residential and nothing else. The lone inhabitant will sit outside his house staring at the vast emptiness and question the god that has created this solitary hell. No job, no friends, no family, he will slowly wither away, until his hated god gets bored and chucks a meteor at his house.

Won't you be my neighbor?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Not defending it (don't really care anyways) but the always on internet connection is also due to some of the sim processing being done on EA's side.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/simcity/simc...ays-maxis-boss
None of this stuff outweighs the negatives. There's nothing fundamentally different from the gameplay you get in SimCity4 from a SimCity where some jerkoff creates a dump next to you and you get his debris.

Always on internet connection doesn't enable cloud computing, it forces it.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Where are the damn beta invites for this thing? Surely they arent going to launch something billed as massively multiplayer without having tested how all this interconnection really works right?

Intropy

Shit Gamer
That little teaser vid makes me a bit nervous. If you pay attention to the size of the city boundaries during the fly-by shots they all look extremely small, even the ones that look like they have really built up city cores which would be part of a much larger city in real life.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
^^^ Agree there, it looks much too small and restrictive. Like, 1/10th the area you should be able to build into yourself. Wanted this so bad, but there are just so many negatives cropping up =/

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Its nothing that would keep me from playing the game. But does anyone else feel like the cities arent dirty? Everything seems so sterile and clean. Lots of smog around Industry, but I dont see any other effects upon the landscape. Where is the litter? Just a little bit of realism in thesereally small cities, might be cool. :/