SimCity

Azziane_sl

shitlord
That little teaser vid makes me a bit nervous. If you pay attention to the size of the city boundaries during the fly-by shots they all look extremely small, even the ones that look like they have really built up city cores which would be part of a much larger city in real life.
They already said the largest plots will be only as big as a medium map in SC4. And the limits are enforced (IIRC in SC4 you could go beyond the city limits and keep building somehow? been a while).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't know about changing the city size in 4, but I do know that you could get a massive plot of land to have multiple cities, and the game sort of evolves into making multiple specialized cities iteratively.

Ex:
1. Make a balanced city, save it.
2. Remove all the residential areas out of the city, save it.
3. Plot 8 copies of that no-residential city around a new city.
4. Play that city and only have residential cities.
5. Once that city is maxed out, repeat the process by putting 8 of it (Or multiple layers) around a city and only do commercial/industrial in it.

Last time I played SimCity4 this is what I did and I ended up getting a city with 1.6 million people in it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The worst part was that it was extremely slow. Most of Sim City's processes were streamlined but importing cities was not, so when you wanted to perform a new iteration it was best to put a movie on or grab a book while you waited for the import to complete.

Dom_sl

shitlord
So, EA have been shutting down online services for a lot of games lately, including ones that aren't that old, and even sims 2 which is still extremely popular. Yet they expect us to have faith in their online-only design... Yeah, no.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'd love to see a breakdown of all the games EA has with 'free' online services and how long they ran before shutting down the servers.

I can't think of any big games with an artificial 'online only' requirement that have their servers shut down.

Fedor

<Banned>
more screenshots

299621_10151370905564866_1745573430_n.jpg

Done+Load+Materials+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1102013+92750+AM.jpg

Done+Load+Materials+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1102013+53550+PM.jpg

Done+Load+Materials+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1102013+50107+PM.jpg

Done+Load+Materials+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1102013+45837+PM.jpg

Done+Load+Materials+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1102013+60719+PM.jpg

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The more I read/hear/see about this game, the more I suspect it isn't going to succeed.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I really like how the shots look. Normally not a fan of depth of field bullshit, but it works great here.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, tilt-shift looks either optional or only for specific angles.

Graphics are mind blowing. I like the clean look because although it doesn't look like real life, it looks like the dream toy city you would think of a child. Like a dolls house but for a town, with little toy cars going about their business etc. Looks great.

My only concern with this game is that it's boring like the previous sim city games. Once you figure things out, it was little more than slapping down the 3 areas and putting service industries in between. Then you sit back and watch it grow and grow and grow and eventually fill the whole map. I would much prefer there to be some extra depth and some ups and downs and challenges. Stuff like recessions and the riots can really spice things up but in previous simcity games they were nothing more than a minor irritation that you waited to blow over and then rebuilt your few houses. I would rather all that stuff be more significant, somehow.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
They're really trying to amp up the multi-player interdependence aspect.

Can other cities in the same region do anything when their master isn't there but I am at mine, or is it just on pause but providing me with positive and negative modifiers based on its attributes? If he let it pause while a fire raged, and I build a fire station, will my guys go put it out? Is it like the fucking twilight zone where my firemen go in, immediately become paused, and NEVER RETURN? That would be awesome.

I'm curious where the line is on those issues.