SimCity

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I uninstalled Sim City and Origin off my PC finally about a month ago. I'll never reinstall Origin again, for any reason.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Did they ever fix the game mechanics and underlying simulation such that they weren't pants on head retarded?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Nearly every patch has included a response to traffic issues, mostly those caused by service vehicles ala fire/police/school/trash, and industrial freight is actually needed for commercial now. I've yet to test this stuff. I last tried like 4 months ago and the traffic glitches were still a big deal then.

I don't believe they have ever changed the fact that sims change houses and jobs every day. That part seems to be bedrock design or just too big to handle atm.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I don't think they ever fixed the fact that you can just build nothing but residential and be fine. The base mechanics are completely broken. Every fix and patch that I've seen hasn't reported anything to fix that.

Goonsquad Officer
poor SimCity. Tried to be a bizarro mix of (non shitty) classic simcities, Anno, and tropic, then took a giant shit on it, and tried to bind it together with DRM disguised as social-network-online-play.

In a perfect world, some one wasting such a good IP on this would be fired.

a think this is my most disappointed-in-the-sequel game of the last five years.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I don't think they ever fixed the fact that you can just build nothing but residential and be fine. The base mechanics are completely broken. Every fix and patch that I've seen hasn't reported anything to fix that.
Patch 2.0 in April:

Residential Tuning: Residential-only cities have failure state.

• Buildings are prevented from going up in density when they don't have power or water.
  • The amount of happiness gained from low taxes, police, fire, and health outreach has been lowered.
  • Fixed some cases where buildings would not go abandoned when they should have.
  • Higher density residential buildings are no longer blocked from going abandoned due to not having enough money.
  • Happiness from low taxes does not double up every time it is given.
  • Losing happiness due to not having a job is more impactful.

I kept meaning to go back and tinker with it when they added elevating/sinking roadways.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One problem with the game is that the only challenging part of the mechanics were avoiding the bugs. If they fix all the bugs and don't include real RCI and various other features the game is basically a city painter with a lot of simulation in the background thatyou don't need to worry about. And the canvas you can use is a sticky note.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
RCI tuning has been frequent. I've seen notes about how rich people will shop at high wealth commercial and how said commercial will more likely be built near high wealth residential, etc. Part of the problem with the RCI was that the sims didn't correspond to the buildings, so buildings would go up with no customers and then go out of business in a never-ending cycle. They're trying to make the customers/employees and the buildings have a stronger association.

It's just disheartening how many nuts and bolts weren't present when the game launched, and how many are still loosely fixed.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Right now, the game is by no means perfect. But it's definitely past the disaster it was on launch. I've recently got into it (skipped it on launch) and I'm having a pretty good time. Nothing's horribly broken to the point of me throwing my hands up and walking away from the game like people were doing when this game launched.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Today they announced they are looking into offline mode and they also confirmed they can't increase the plot size. Same bullshit of it'll take too many resources. I won't be touching this game ever again. I pray to god the expansion tanks hardcore.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
They could cosmetically allow for urban sprawl graphics between cities as the cities get larger. That would probably console a few who have aesthetic issues with the current situation.

I don't mind the size so long as they continue to expand the depth. I enjoyed that there was more I could do with my buildings than in previous Sim games.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
So the Sim City expansion apparently went live today and I'll be damned if I can see a single review of it anywhere... There's a blurb on the Wall Street Journal's site and something on yahoo news, but that is just taken from a press release.

Did EA put the fear of god into gaming sites to stay well clear of this? Sim City is a game I want to like and the features in the expansion sound cool, but overall it has been such a clusterfuck I am reluctant to take the plunge.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Until Maxxis is no longer with EA, I will never buy another Sim City game from them.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Haha. They should be giving this away for free to anyone that bought this PoS.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got an email from them last week about all the changes they made and are making etc.

also merging this with the original thread because it does not deserve it's own!

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I was looking for the original thread, but the search function on this still sucks balls (and not in a good way)