Smartphones

Siliconemelons

oh John Chen that guy.

They are redefining who and what they are sure - he is still setting the company up to be sold (to...imo were he came from - SAP) and now that they officially split off their hardware (hence the stock loss) and now he has recovered it back to the 7.50-8$ range that its been for 2ish years - SAP will be in a position to buy them as a software company.

This is all my thoughts on BlackBerry - heck I broke my Priv and am using my BB classic again - its a good phone and does what it needs to do but I do miss android - in terms of apps and screen size.. I do not really miss "how it works"

Leo Apothicker (also SAP) fuxed HP by jumping in killing all hardware (and webos) and eh maybe keep printers - etc. this was all to get HP to be a software company to be sold to SAP... Leo did it wrong and got fired (or given MILLIONS of $$$ to leave lol)

Chen is doing it more the "correct" way, but he still is building BB to be bought by SAP - that's my theory... if my theory that I have explained on the crackberry forums - it will go down at the end of this year, I stated this when he started as president- no one believed me, they believed his "we are committed to hardware!" lol yeah..sure.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Went to Verizon to complain about my phone battery life being shit, also threw in a bit about it randomly turning off. They told me it's out of warranty but they will let me enroll in the insurance program if I want ($11/mo) which will let them send me a new phone. Obviously took them up on the offer, not sure what the point of insurance is in the first place if you can enroll whenever your phone goes to shit. I guess because there's zero physical damage to the phone they were more lenient. Anyway new phone should show up Monday or Tuesday. Probably the first positive experience I've had with Verizon customer service.

Also got hands on with the S8 while I was there. Pretty unimpressed, the added screen space doesn't seem very useful since it just elongates the screen, watching a 16:9 video you wouldn't get any bigger a picture than a S7 you would just get more black space. I don't think the S8 will be the smash hit that Samsung wants it to be.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
S8 is gonna be a huge hit and for some reason you're just drinking a lot of haterade.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
Just upgraded from Moto E (1st) KitKat 4.4.4 dual-core processor with 2.17 GB to a Moto G5 Plus Nougat 7.0 with 4GB ram/64 memory.
Speed test on 2G network, (ping) @ 86, (download) on is 725 kB/s and (upload) @ 250 kB/s.
Like night and day... What took me all day to do takes three or four minutes.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Wondering if I should get an S8 to replace my 2 1/2 year old Note 4. Are there any flagship phones that have a removeable battery?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I remember buying a BB over the early gen iphone because 'if they call them Crackberry they must be good!'

What a boring fucking phone. Crack for the normies maybe

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
S8 is gonna be a huge hit and for some reason you're just drinking a lot of haterade.
If I am it's because I was pretty underwhelmed with my S7 Edge and I don't really see the S8 as much of an improvement, in fact a step back in some ways (fingerprint scanner)

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I'm tempted by the new samsung. I hate all the layers of crap they add over androids. So far my 2 last phones were HTC (7 and 9) HTC's sense isn't as much invasive as the samsung's one. I loved the HTC 7 but my HTC 9 's build quality isn't that good.

Rumors are we are about to see the HTC11. I might wait to see how it is.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Got the replacement S7 Edge up and running, the battery is much better. I am going to refrain from using the 3rd party charger and see if it holds up better than before.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The marketing departments have done an excellent job over the years, because I want the S8, even though I have zero reason for it. My S7 Edge is perfectly fine, but I'm underwhelmed with it. Wasn't all that excited about the Note 7 either.

Literally the only time I get excited is changing going platforms every couple years between Apple and Android. But even that isn't all that exciting.

Edit: Just looked up the new pixel phones. Looks amazing, and if they actually get rid of the huge chin, which looks like they will, I'm excited for it.

Last edited:

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The marketing departments have done an excellent job over the years, because I want the S8, even though I have zero reason for it. My S7 Edge is perfectly fine, but I'm underwhelmed with it. Wasn't all that excited about the Note 7 either.

Literally the only time I get excited is changing going platforms every couple years between Apple and Android. But even that isn't all that exciting.

Edit: Just looked up the new pixel phones. Looks amazing, and if they actually get rid of the huge chin, which looks like they will, I'm excited for it.

I am kinda opposite. My S7 Edge was such a surprising leap ahead of my S6 in terms of features and battery life that I do not feel compelled to upgrade at all. My S7 is perfect and I haven't read anything about the S8 to make me want to run out and upgrade. This is coming from a guy for the last 7 years who has purchased annual upgrades.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
I am kinda opposite. My S7 Edge was such a surprising leap ahead of my S6 in terms of features and battery life that I do not feel compelled to upgrade at all. My S7 is perfect and I haven't read anything about the S8 to make me want to run out and upgrade. This is coming from a guy for the last 7 years who has purchased annual upgrades.
Just when you learn the phone, it's time to bury it in the junk drawer. Kept my Moto E for 3 years, and then apps became heavier and storage got smaller. Finally upped to G5 Plus with a combined 179 GB, after system memory.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I care a hell of a lot less about storage space than I did years back. I used to carry a pretty hefty music collection around with me on my phones, but now after using Spotify for the last year I hardly use any space at all. People stream pretty much all media these days. Storage isn't nearly as important as it used to be.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Fair enough. I think because I was coming from the Note 7, that the S7 wasn't nearly as exciting. I remember being pretty dang happy with the Note 7.

I've never actually gone with a Google phone before, so that's probably why I'm a bit excited about the Pixel 2.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Any recommendations on phone car mounts? I'm going to be doing a lot of driving for my new job and I'd like something that's solid and is in my line of vision while driving.

Crone

Any recommendations on phone car mounts? I'm going to be doing a lot of driving for my new job and I'd like something that's solid and is in my line of vision while driving.
Would be curious to see recommendations as well. Nothing seems to stand out as great on Amazon. No real winner.

Fadaar

That guy
Wondering if I should get an S8 to replace my 2 1/2 year old Note 4. Are there any flagship phones that have a removeable battery?

I just recently dumped my Note 4 for a Pixel XL and love it. No removable battery but it being a purely bone stock Android OS really helps with unnecessary drain.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
https://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Holder-iPhone-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00JRGOKQ8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1491758956&sr=8-6&keywords=phone+mount

It works fine with both Pixels which I think is what Adebisi Adebisi has. It will work with almost any phone as long as you don't have one of those silly ass huge cases.

It will leave a mark if you remove the mount but as long as you aren't an idiot and are aware of gum off and residue type removing products the mark can be removed.

If you don't want to deal with dash mounted ones my wife uses this Amazon.com: PriTek Dual USB 2.1A Smartphone Car Mount Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

It's not bad and works just fine but depends greatly on where your cars power port is and if anything will be in the way. Also get rapid charging with it. Also super cheap so not much of a risk getting it. Biggest downside is that it is mounted by inserting in your power port so does need to be pushed back in from time to time.

Last edited: