Smartphones

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Some OSs still catching up to features WebOS had... I am a crusty old bitch

The multitasking in WebOS is still the best I've ever used other than a Mouse+Taskbar.

As for Android vs. IOS. Back Button Bitches. #micdrop

I honestly really don't care. I recommend Apple products to customers all the time (work in IT) but mostly from the perspective of "If you already have an Apple product, stick to them their ecosystem works much better at coexisting" they share data better, and you have App carry over between iPhones and iPads.

I'm personally a PC/Android person. I "get" the appeal of Apple products for some, but I just can't do it for myself. OSX is a disorganized mess, and iMacs/Macbooks are far overpriced. IOS is fine, but meh. I do customize my Android phone, but only the first week or two of getting it, and half the time that's setting up the exact widgets I used on my previous phone, like HD Widgets. After that its business as usual until my next upgrade. If you don't want to customize DON'T, the phone is just giving you the freedom to do it. Doesn't mean you have to, and that shouldn't be a ding against Android. That's a ding against you.

Last edited:
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Truth. Every time I use an iSomething I immediately think "How in the fuck have they never put a back button on this shit?". The idea that you might go out to the home screen and restart the app you were already using is just ridiculous, and removing the home button just makes it worse. Also, the home screen is still just a list of all of your apps right? There's still no pagination and no app drawer? IOS was a great UI in 2009 but it's pretty unbelievable how little they have improved it since then, yet you still hear people talk about how amazing it is.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

This. Can't imagine not having the back button.

Also, the home screen is still just a list of all of your apps right? There's still no pagination and no app drawer? IOS was a great UI in 2009 but it's pretty unbelievable how little they have improved it since then, yet you still hear people talk about how amazing it is.

Having a home screen that's just rows and rows of app icons would drive me nuts. Need to have my widgets and only the app shortcuts that I want.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I forgot no widgets. At least 50% of my home screens are populated by widgets that I use all the time.

Siliconemelons

The multitasking in WebOS is still the best I've ever used other than a Mouse+Taskbar.

I honestly really don't care. I recommend Apple products to customers all the time (work in IT) but mostly from the perspective of "If you already have an Apple product, stick to them their ecosystem works much better at coexisting" they share data better, and you have App carry over between iPhones and iPads.

I'm personally a PC/Android person. I "get" the appeal of Apple products for some, but I just can't do it for myself. OSX is a disorganized mess, and iMacs/Macbooks are far overpriced. IOS is fine, but meh. I do customize my Android phone, but only the first week or two of getting it, and half the time that's setting up the exact widgets I used on my previous phone, like HD Widgets. After that its business as usual until my next upgrade. If you don't want to customize DON'T, the phone is just giving you the freedom to do it. Doesn't mean you have to, and that shouldn't be a ding against Android. That's a ding against you.

Yeah, WebOS was, honestly, way ahead of the competition when it was out.
-Background Images (iOS)
-Superior and true multi tasking and app killing (both)
-Swipe shortcuts on screen and swipe touch forward/back bezel controls
-Multiple PUSH email accounts for exchange AND gmail AND SMTP (both)
-Wireless Charging (both, hell apple JUST got this)
-Touch to share with the WebOS tablet

OSX is as you say, a mess... it is a horrific OS if you want to do anything beyond responding to bouncy icons on your task bar or whatever the hell it does.

Apple has given 0 shits about OSX, that was put to bed once they decided to expand iOS on the ipad pro rather than put a "real" OS on it.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I don't know why somebody would get a mac right now aside from a fashion statement. Apple has been signaling loud and clear for a few years now that they don't care about macs.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Their retina displays for shit like photography and design is the only reason. Not sure if you can get something comparable now in PC platform, im sure you can now. Macs used to be unique apple propriatery shit, now its nothing more than off the shelf shit they buy from foxconn and intel, and price it with 100% markup, oh and usually its older shit too than you can get in PC. Oh and OSX, lol.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Their retina displays for shit like photography and design is the only reason. Not sure if you can get something comparable now in PC platform, im sure you can now. Macs used to be unique apple propriatery shit, now its nothing more than off the shelf shit they buy from foxconn and intel, and price it with 100% markup, oh and usually its older shit too than you can get in PC. Oh and OSX, lol.

There's nothing special about "Retina Displays." Its always been a marketing term that was used for a certain pixel density. Every decent device out there today meets Apple's original "Retina Display" criteria. So Apple came out with the new "Super Retina Display" for these phones lol. Which is especially funny now because like you say, everybody knows their source for these displays is Samsung. The "Super Retina Display" on the iPhone X is like 450 ppi or something? While the new Samsung phones are around 550 ppi. So i guess Samsung keeps the "Super Duper Retina Displays" only for themselves.

Don't get me wrong, Apple will always have near top of the line displays, but I don't think there's ever been anything proprietary about them. Its always been marketing. Especially today when there are a lot of high end Windows laptops and 2 in 1's out there, the MacBook Pro's "retina display" is not a differentiating factor at all. Just like this new "super retina display" is not a differentiating factor vs. Galaxy and Note.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Truth. Every time I use an iSomething I immediately think "How in the fuck have they never put a back button on this shit?". The idea that you might go out to the home screen and restart the app you were already using is just ridiculous, and removing the home button just makes it worse. Also, the home screen is still just a list of all of your apps right? There's still no pagination and no app drawer? IOS was a great UI in 2009 but it's pretty unbelievable how little they have improved it since then, yet you still hear people talk about how amazing it is.

There is a back button any time one app takes you to another, at the top left. For example, if you click a link in you email and it opens safari or chrome, you can click the top left to go straight back to mail. Same with this board and twitter. Can go back and forth without going to home screen. Not the same as a back button, but every app that really needs one already has it built in

For the homesceeen, yes they really should allow more customization options. You can create folders for common apps, and you can use widgets but they only appear on the Today screen (the screen to the left of the main home page or Notification Center).

I was considering the iPhone X even though my current phone is only a year old. I use my phone more than anything else I own so I don't mind spending decent money and upgrading relatively frequently. Outside of work I almost never use a computer, only phone.

What pisses me off is the base is 64gb and they want to charge an extra $130ish to jump to 256. 64 is not enough, and 256 is more than I need. For it being the super ultra premium iPhone, why the fuck isn't the base model at least 128. That coupled with the loss of touchID basically made me say fuck it.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
-Swipe shortcuts on screen and swipe touch forward/back bezel controls

This shit drives me nuts in iOS. There's no way to disable it, and I don't think I've ever used it intentionally. Every time that I have used it has been by accident when I'm trying to zoom or scroll or something similar

Siliconemelons

This shit drives me nuts in iOS. There's no way to disable it, and I don't think I've ever used it intentionally. Every time that I have used it has been by accident when I'm trying to zoom or scroll or something similar

In WebOS it was part of the entire OS, it's interactions were processed in a high priority and they worked, not as a second thought like in iOS or in my now android blackberry.

Also you could turn them off lol

WebOS was legit! I miss my Palm Pre

I had Sprint Pre 1, used it legit and no issues for 2 years, moved to Verizon for the Pre3 - but I moved early to get unlimited data so I had a used pre2, the 2 was so much more solid and nice device to the 1- if they released with the 2 hardware it would have done LOTS better.

The 3 was, awesome all around - bigger, solid - loved it and used it until it could not do its functions anymore because of lack of support.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
When I try to select allow on this window it does nothing but I can select "Deny" and it works. How can I enabled this "Allow" windows.
I know I can go to the app permissions but would rather just select Allow here. Is there a permission or toggle to enable?
Screenshot_20170914-013705.png

Last edited:

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
So every item that is available in 4 or 5 different phones combined into one.

Options that are key selling points of all of those phones also.

So a phone maker combined all the reasons you should buy a phone into one and the people buying it are sheep and brainwashed for buying it ... yet you have bought the same phone just from a different manufacturer ....
$650 for three year old tech vs $149 for brand new tech that blows the more expensive phone out the water. Why? I can cut a half eaten apple out of a magazine for $500 & glue it on back and have a better device.

• 1Picard

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
God damn you guys are some salty bitches, I use OSX all day every day for work and it is great. I don't miss anything from windows aside from the proprietary apps that only run on windows.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
There's nothing wrong with OSX, just the fact that Apple's computers have been overpriced and underpowered compared to the competition for quite a few years now and other manufacturers have caught up to them on quality.

• 1Solidarity