Smartphones

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
As far as why app developers make iOS a priority vs. Android, I'm pretty sure it comes down to dollars and cents. I thought I read somewhere that despite iOS now having a market share below 20%, the iTunes store still gets something like 60-70% of app revenues. iOS users spend more.
Knowing a few developers myself it also has to do with when they make an app for iOS, it's for iphone or ipad, on Android there are hundreds of phones and there may be some phones that their apps just wont work with for some reason and it's a huge pain in the ass for them to constantly stay on top of it, patch their apps, those paches may break the app on others phones and so on and so forth so they just avoid that platform all together.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
How do you figure? The price of the new and fancy android phones on contract is the same exact price as the iphone so that isn't correct.
Well, the fact that Android has been able to charge the same as the iPhone is a new thing, traditionally the android flagships were lower than a newly released iphone.

The features you don't get on the iphone most people don't care about so that isn't correct.
Not gonna bother to argue this subjective statement.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well, that is kind of the point that I was making. It's nice to have all of those neat features, but how often are you really going to use them?

You are absolutely right, everyone is different and so it's impossible to lay down a blanket statement like that.

I've been an Android user since the very beginning, and even at some point hated Apple. Things are changing though, and I'm seriously leaning towards iPhone right now, for the better user experience.

Edit: I should say, perceived better user experience. It's just what I've heard about the iPhone.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Well, the fact that Android has been able to charge the same as the iPhone is a new thing, traditionally the android flagships were lower than a newly released iphone.

Not gonna bother to argue this subjective statement.
As an Android owner for a while I will say that NFC and 802.11ac isn't what sells phones, everything else is software and not phone features. That isn't subjective, that is fact.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Sorry I didn't say those were the features I was talking about.

SDCard slot, and myriad android software features spring to mind. iOS7 is adding a bunch of shit that I've had for years so that's good at least. Widgets are nice and it doesn't look like that is coming to iPhone anytime soon. Google Now kicks the shit out of Siri.

That said, Group Messaging was handled miserably by Android until a very recent update that hasn't even pushed to my S3 yet so there is at least one "feature" iPhone has that Android doesn't.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Sorry I didn't say those were the features I was talking about.

SDCard slot, and myriad android software features spring to mind.
The SDCard slot is nice but then you realize most android phones only come with low onboard memory because they can be lazy and say just buy an SD Card and slap that in there. You still pay the same price.

Let us compare.

MotoX has 16GB onboard for $200 which is the same price as the iPhone 5C 32GB and you CAN'T buy a memory card for the Moto X which is supposed to be the iPhone killer. It has NFC and 802.11ac. It has a shitty UI that has an always on screen toolbar. The camera doesn't take better pictures even though it is better hardware technically. The software on the MotoX is 4.2 instead of 4.3 and iOS 7 is practically android now.

If you compare the equally priced 5S to the MotoX well it blows it out of the water. The ONLY thing some android phones have is NFC/802.11ac/MicroSD and lately only the Galaxy (phones that are direct competitors to the iPhone) even has an SD card slot any more. In fact Google is pretty anti SD card lately if you haven't noticed -http://www.phonearena.com/news/Why-G...m-back_id23986

Like I said there isn't much subjective any more.

Crone

Losing Google Now would suck, but I don't use any widgets, and I don't use my phone as a storage device for movies, music, etc. Also don't play games on my phone.

I web browse, text, and voice calls. lol... and Yet I always go out and spend $300 on a new smart phone.

This could be, because my battery life on my phone is so bad after 2 years, that I can't do any of that stuff without my phone dieing in 4-5 hours? Used to have news widgets, and weather, etc, but drained my battery too fast.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Losing Google Now would suck, but I don't use any widgets, and I don't use my phone as a storage device for movies, music, etc. Also don't play games on my phone.

I web browse, text, and voice calls. lol... and Yet I always go out and spend $300 on a new smart phone.

This could be, because my battery life on my phone is so bad after 2 years, that I can't do any of that stuff without my phone dieing in 4-5 hours? Used to have news widgets, and weather, etc, but drained my battery too fast.
That is definitely a plus with android you can trim a rom down to barebones and run that. The problem is it looks like most people's computers in a week with 37 widgets and background apps. You can't do that on an iPhone for better and worse.

Crone

That is definitely a plus with android you can trim a rom down to barebones and run that. The problem is it looks like most people's computers in a week with 37 widgets and background apps. You can't do that on an iPhone for better and worse.
With multiple home screens, which I know iPhone has as well, a while back I had setup a screen for news widgets from Engadget, NYTimes, etc, and another for music shit, and so on. I think I had 7 home screens. Lasted a week, before I said F that. I couldn't even get through an 8 hour work day without my phone dieing. Was terrible.

With a new phone, my battery problems would, I hope, be fixed, but this is going to happen whether I go Android or iOS. But, after going so long without the stuff, a cleaner user experience that the iPhone provides I think I'd still enjoy more. So still leaning towards iPhone.

Damn it, this shit is like going through a divorce. I feel guilty for leaving Android, and clearly from my last few posts, trying desperately to find a reason to stay Android. haha!

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
At this point iPhones feel to small in my hand sand I cant type on them worth a shit. My wife has one and I almost drop it and my thumbs never press the right keys when i try too. I have Swift Key on Android and that thing is like magic for my thumbs. I could make the switch if forced too, which I almost did here up until the announcement of the new iphones, now I'll stick with the Note 3....whenever the hell that thing comes out, which seems like it'll be around the 10th.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I haven't used an iphone a lot, but when I do the thing that always gets me is the lack of a back button. Having to go back to the home screen and start over going into an app just seems fucking ridiculous to me coming from Android.

Also, Android is a much superior experience using google apps, which I am fully bought into at this point, and I do use widgets for Gmail, Google Calendar, my podcast player (Doggcatcher), evernote, and a clock/weather widget and I would miss being able to just look at stuff without opening an app quite a bit I think.

Screen size is another issue. Iphones seem tiny to me, and I don't even use one of the monster android phones. The fragmentation issue isn't as clear cut as it used to be either. Apple undoubtedly does a better job of keeping the latest version of their OS on most of their devices, but Android has been dealing with fragmentation long enough that things like screen size are handled much better than in IOS. Android apps can scale fairly elegantly to almost any screen size, but iOS stuff doesn't scale at all and you have to take special consideration for each of the (now 4) possible screen sizes if you want your app to look good on all devices.

Crone

I feel like on paper that doesn't sound like a big deal, but in reality is a huge annoyance?

Not going to force myself into a new phone just because, regardless of how annoying my current phone is getting.
smile.png

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Whoa! How are people supposed to handle two or three buttons?! It's utter chaos, I tell you.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Group messaging works on my GS4, it was infuriating on my GS2.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Long time iPhone user, recently switched to MotoX. I will never ever go back. MotoX is the most intuitive and comfortable phone I have ever owned. Period.