Smartphones

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Saturday I received my Moto X. I'll be doing a full review when I finally get my laptop (my car was broken into and I lost everything). My initial impressions of the T-Mobile variant is that it's pretty great, but it absolutely has its faults.

The display is incredible once you get past the saturated colours in amoled screens. Size-wise, I think they hit a great mark. Even though the screen is technically 4.7", you really get about 4.3" of actual space. This is about perfect for someone with smaller hands like myself.

The processors (8 in total) really shine. Even though it's not the most powerful device, android has been very well optimised, and the phone feels as snappy as my HTC One. I've yet to run a standard day, but the battery seems to be holding up well. I took it off the charge around noon after unlocking the bootloader, and downloaded about 500mb of data on LTE, rebooted a dozen times, and have about 2 hours of screen-on time and was still at 48%.

I think the largest fault of the device is audio quality. Audio out is terrible, through either ear buds, full size cans, or aux input on my car. Bass was distorted, and highs were ease piercing. I don't know who tuned the factory audio settings, but I was able to get it to a tolerable level after playing with the eq controls for half an hour or so.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend the phone, but I just couldn't in good conscience suggest that someone pays full price for it.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The real joy of the MotoX is the convenience software. It knows when you are driving and dictates your texts, verbally opens apps, has built in notifications on the standby screen... knows when you are sleeping and puts your phone on silent etc etc etc

These little things make it a real pleasure to own

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So now that the nexus 4 is completely out of stock I've got a bit of a problem. My parents have been wanting to ditch Sprint for a while now and when I told them the Nexus 4 was on sale they finally decided to go for it. They already picked up some Net10 sims and were just going to check with Sprint if there were going to be any surprises when they terminate their plan before they ordered the Nexus 4. Sadly they waited too long and now I'm stuck with trying to find decent unlocked phones for them. They don't need something top of the line (hell, my dad doesn't really even need a smartphone, but he just has to have one) but they are planning on keeping them for 2+ years, so they want something that won't be complete crap by then.

They'd like to keep it to $300 per phone if possible, though that's not looking so good as I'm seeing a lot of phones that are already 2 years old at that price. Waiting for the N5 is an option, but that will definitely be at least $300 for the cheapest version if they keep the price similar to the N4 at launch. Plus that comes with the risk that it sells out in minutes like the N4 did and they have to wait months for it to be back in stock. The upside to that is they would let me pay for one of the N5s and buy my N4 off me.

I've checked ebay and such and it looks like the N4 can be had for $300 brand new. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Are they not signing a contract? Seems many phones can be had for $300 or less on 2 year contract? Which is what they want to do anyway?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Ugh. I am in desperate need for a new phone. I might just bite the bullet and get another HTC Incredible because I do like how small it is and the volume on it is just nuts.

Crone

Ugh. I am in desperate need for a new phone. I might just bite the bullet and get another HTC Incredible because I do like how small it is and the volume on it is just nuts.
Why so desperate, and are you talking about the Incredible that's 3 years old at this point?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Yeah, the old Incredible. Because I am not liking my Samsung Galaxy Nexus and my contract is over.

Crone

Just seems odd with so many other phones out there. Even going back 1 year, and looking at them all, there has to be something that is way better than the Incredible, and fits your needs, and likely super cheap because of how old it is.

Hell, my Droid Bionic that's 2 years old is better than the Incredible?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Are they not signing a contract? Seems many phones can be had for $300 or less on 2 year contract? Which is what they want to do anyway?
Whoops. They're going prepaid, which will reduce their bill significantly. It will also put them on AT&T's network, which has better coverage than Sprint, so it will need to be an AT&T compatible phone.

Right now it looks like they're leaning towards seeing how much the Nexus 5 will be before they make their decision.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Which I still don't understand, why are developers still releasing some games first(and some exclusively) on iOS, when Android has 80% of the phone market? It would be like Mac getting all the game releases first over Windows. Makes no sense to me at all.
The cynic in me thinks it might be that executives have iphones and tell the peons what to write, the fair minded thinks that it might be because of the addition of ipad+ipod numbers (though the often spouted numbers sold to date isn't interesting as most are no doubt broken or EOL for OS updates), and the rest of me just thinks there are lot of Mac hipsters working in Silicon Valley.

Its actually even more puzzling for applications targeted at users outside the US, as in every other country Apple's market share is much smaller.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I think iOS7 wins the Underwhelming Software of the Year award. The interface/color scheme looks like a blatant rip off of MS Office 2013 (white background with flat buttons) and most of the "new" features have been available via Jailbreak since the 3GS era. "Real" multitasking is about the only feature that carries this release.. Some decent stuff is in there for enterprise device management, but for your average semi-tech savvy user that has his iOS 6 jailbroken there isn't much new in iOS 7. Was really hoping for some Exchange Activesync improvements and more home screen customizations, but alas no..

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
There is if you don't jailbreak. Not all of us think its a good idea to run your phone as root all the time.
Doesn't change the fact that they've released a feature set that has been available via 3rd party sources for at least 4 years. Also, are you seriously that worried that your jailbroken Iphone will get hacked? Just don't install SSH (or at a minimum change the port) and change the root password and you're golden..

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
Doesn't change the fact that they've released a feature set that has been available via 3rd party sources for at least 4 years. Also, are you seriously that worried that your jailbroken Iphone will get hacked? Just don't install SSH (or at a minimum change the port) and change the root password and you're golden..
Just not good practice. Not really worried about it. Third party sources compared to apple are probably laughable. They added iTunes radio, whereas Pandora will straight up cut you off after a certain time even if you're paying. I'd say its a fresh move, and compared to android offerings, is exactly the right step to take.
As far as GUI is concerned, this isn't a graphic design computer. ITs a phone. I need things to be easy to see and easy to get to. They nailed the phone.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Just not good practice. Not really worried about it. Third party sources compared to apple are probably laughable. They added iTunes radio, whereas Pandora will straight up cut you off after a certain time even if you're paying. I'd say its a fresh move, and compared to android offerings, is exactly the right step to take.
As far as GUI is concerned, this isn't a graphic design computer. ITs a phone. I need things to be easy to see and easy to get to. They nailed the phone.
I never said the GUI was bad, just that it was a blatant rip off of Office 2013/Server 2012, which is ironic considering it's always been MS being accused of copying apple, not vice versa.

Not saying that iOS 7 is "bad", just that from an innovation standpoint I expected to see something new and unique, but instead they simply implemented long overdue features. It feels like a "catch up" rather than something that could re-establish them as a market leader.

P.S: Also wtf is with the change for quick deleting email from a left-->right swipe to a right-->left swipe. I've spent 5 years deleting thousands of emails the same way and then they reverse the swipe direction? By no means a game killer but seriously irritating to try and retrain years of habit.