Split (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Apparently they already talked to the relevant actors and they were cool with continuing the story in another film.

As terrible as some of his previous films were, you never hear any actors bad mouth m. Night. Willis, for example, said back during sixth sense that if he could only work with m. Night for the rest of his career he'd happily do it

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just can't bring myself to watch his movies after The Village. That movie made me so angry after I paid 12 bucks to watch it in the theater. Even before the 'twist' it was so ridiculous and cheesy.

A BLIND girl finds a hole in the woods and knows when to step away so the retard in the monster costume can fall in it.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you have to go to the theatre and have already seen Star wars this in the most entertaining thing out. Its really odd praising this turd after getting dragged to his shitty films for the last 15 years.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
If you have to go to the theatre and have already seen Star wars this in the most entertaining thing out. Its really odd praising this turd after getting dragged to his shitty films for the last 15 years.

Lol have to agree here. I remember seeing the trailer a while back and knew it looked interesting. and on RT it was doing well so I went and saw it. I had NO memory that it was by M. Night until the opening credits rolled and I muttered "oh Christ" just on instinct, which upset the nearby mormons in the theatre. But I was pleasantly surprised about this movie and will definitely recommend it.

• 1Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Planning to see this tomorrow so re-watched Unbreakable tonight for maybe the 4th time. I'm fairly blown away by how fantastic Unbreakable is after multiple viewings. I will say there are a few moments that gave me pause, but overall, the story is top notch, and the way that M. Night brought the family element into the story was incredible. On top of that there were a few compositional elements that were quite masterful, for one the shot on the morning after David Dunn saves the family and while the son pours his orange juice (a mundane and everyday chore), the newspaper with his father's big reveal that he was the hero slides into frame. The subtle exchange between father and son in that scene was very very moving. The casting and acting of the Dunn family was perfect.
I know M. Night has hacked it up bigtime in some of his stuff, but Unbreakable is fucking awesome. Excited for Split this weekend.

p.s. sorry for potential derail

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed this quite a bit. I was hoping this would somehow twist into a werewolf movie but it was pretty good.

Brad2770

Planning to see this tomorrow so re-watched Unbreakable tonight for maybe the 4th time. I'm fairly blown away by how fantastic Unbreakable is after multiple viewings. I will say there are a few moments that gave me pause, but overall, the story is top notch, and the way that M. Night brought the family element into the story was incredible. On top of that there were a few compositional elements that were quite masterful, for one the shot on the morning after David Dunn saves the family and while the son pours his orange juice (a mundane and everyday chore), the newspaper with his father's big reveal that he was the hero slides into frame. The subtle exchange between father and son in that scene was very very moving. The casting and acting of the Dunn family was perfect.
I know M. Night has hacked it up bigtime in some of his stuff, but Unbreakable is fucking awesome. Excited for Split this weekend.

p.s. sorry for potential derail

The music in the train station:

Last edited:

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I saw Split this weekend, it's good.

It is not REALLY good, but it is good. I think the people that are saying it is REALLY good are judging future potential more than just the movie itself as a singular product. Which is fine, because Shyamalan has created an intriguing universe here that can live on, if he wants it to.

James Mcavoy owns the movie. Shyamalan gave him quite a canvas to paint on and he killed it. Anya Taylor-Joy is having quite a start to her career with The Witch and Split both being 'A' quality movies.

I give it a 4/5 stars FoH rating.

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
just saw this. Typical of shamalamadingdong movies you spend the entire film looking for the twist, he's got the obvious ones which we've learned are red herrings (see all speculation on page 1 of this thread), and, then there is no twist. Ok, pretty decent movie.

Then the last scene, oh shit, cross-over time.

Great "twist", good film. Don't think there needs to be a sequel/crossover, just the idea of it is good enough, but i'm sure there will be a sequel and i'm sure i'll watch it. Loved unbreakable, best film he's ever done.

I honestly believe that story about this guy supposed to have been the bad guy from Unbreakable but got cut cus it was too complicated. It's a decent story with pseudo-supernatural elements like Unbreakable and it comes from a time when he could actually make good films, unlike the rest of his career after unbreakable.

Szlia

I don't think this movie is great, but Shyamalan managed to control McAvoy to good effect, his scenario works well enough and its core idea is pretty original (not the multiple personality disorder itself, but the story he decides to tell with a character that suffers from it). I was a bit disappointed by the film making though. There are some shots here and there that remind us Shyamalan is extremely talented, but it's never weaved into a great sequence. If he had been in full flow like in some of his earlier works, the epilogue would have been even more exciting.

gak

<Gold Donor>
I honestly believe that story about this guy supposed to have been the bad guy from Unbreakable but got cut cus it was too complicated.

Oh man if Unbreakable and Split would've been combined rather than tacking on a kidnapping janitor at the end it would have been awesome.

Split was dragged out, Unbreakable was dragged out, but combined with an epic fight between Willis and McAvoy with Jackson helping out then imprisoned would have been epic.

8977.jpg

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That is an interesting idea.

What if Bruce Willis had just showed up an 1 hour & 50 mins into the movie and gotten into a fight with McAvoy? It would have been equal parts WTF and epic. That might have been an even more amazing reveal than what they did with Bruce sitting in the diner.

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
Was good, im a sucker for McAvoy and like all movies he has been in. He has this magic of pulling you into his characters. He reminds of me of Gary Oldman, another person that is great at that. That girl was good as well, if it was wasnt for them along with the Dr movie could of been all types of crap, but those actors did a great job and the ending was a nice touch.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Finally saw it as it came out on Blue Ray this week. Very solid, as everyone has said McAvoy was fantastic, as well as the main teenager. Lots of nuance i want to watch it again for. And for the actual meat of my message...there should be no sequel/tie in next movie with Unbreakable for this. Two very solid movies that will be diminished by whatever m. Night tries to pull off. There is clearly no upside to making another in this line with his track record, and the ending of this lets the imagination wander.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Finally saw it as it came out on Blue Ray this week. Very solid, as everyone has said McAvoy was fantastic, as well as the main teenager. Lots of nuance i want to watch it again for. And for the actual meat of my message...there should be no sequel/tie in next movie with Unbreakable for this. Two very solid movies that will be diminished by whatever m. Night tries to pull off. There is clearly no upside to making another in this line with his track record, and the ending of this lets the imagination wander.
it's not imagination, this is officially the 2nd of a trilogy, which ever company had the "rights" to that guy in the end, granted Mknight the use to put in this movie to make a 3rd for a triliogy.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
He has different styles per genre but for this genre I really like his take on things. Long as he stay in this main theme of things I will keep watching.

I thought Nolan pulled in the more RL gritty take of this genre but these make Nolan's films more like Burton's. Nothing bad but a more, more serious RL take on things. I love it!
My only beef with Unbreakable was the very end showing the text vs something more. That just feel cheap and unfinished.

He should have kept the deleted scene at the gym.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Ending was stupid. Girl survives by the power of cutting and child abuse, EVERYONE CLAP.

Should have ended with Bruce Willis showing up and having a low-key superhero fight with captain crazypants.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
She was definitely a cutter, we know what the uncle was into, and it wasn't making obvious "cutter" cuts all over her body.

Movie was good minus the twist. With the twist I thought it was real good. I also don't think it needs to evolve into any more movies...just the thought was good enough, but oh well...seems like a sequel is in the works.