Sports Entertainment

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Braun still competes in strongest man so I'm fairly sure he's clean.

I was also pretty surprised by the win, Raw will be interesting to see how they go from here.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Man I hope not, I'm so glad that monster "I give no fucks" Kevin Owens is back I don't want that squashed.

The problem is, I don't think Goldberg can do a 10 minute match. The whole thing has me nervous.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
So clearly no one has any faith in Goldberg to be able to actually wrestle

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
-sigh-

Only payoff to this that I see Lesner and Owens feuding over the title post Wrestlemania....however I'm sure we will be forced to see them put Lesner up against Reigns.

Who decided that;

Charlottes PPV steak ending

Brauns winning streak ending

And Kevin Owens being squashed

Was a good way to build hype for Wrestlemania?

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Well most of the ppv was bad. I think I've pretty much lost interest in RAW. Now that NXT has built its roster back up it's just better then RAW.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
NXT has been building itself back up for sure but it's still no where near it's original class and it's women's division is absolute garbage.

Raw to me is the inferior brand between that and Smackdown for awhile now, with the exception of team Chris and Kevin and the build up with Braun. Tonight's Raw, depending on how they handle the horriable show last night could either fix some issues or damage the brand for the foreseeable future so hopefully they respond well this evening.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Was a good way to build hype for Wrestlemania?
considering that with Wrestlemania they look to attract attention from the mainstream as much as possible which is mostly people who don't watch their shows, and nobody outside of current WWE fans knows who Kevin Owens is, and just about everybody knows who Goldberg is.... yes, it was actually a very good way to build up hype. the headline "Goldberg versus Lesnar for the championship" is an instant attention grabber.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That argument has merit to a certain extent. While they are in Orlando, they are at the Camping World Stadium, not exactly a destination spot within the city. They never have issues selling seats and meet and greet passes and while their new partnership with ESPN in recent past allows for them to easier market that headline match, it damages your product long term and anyone who remembers the years of Wrestlemania 8,9 and so on, it has lasting effects that they should have learned their lessons from.

I have no major issue with a Goldberg/Lesnar match at Mania (Other than a full part timer main event) because I look forward to the material we will get from Jericho and Owens feud going forward and I know the US title will go on Owens at Mania so Jericho can go on his Fozzy tour....but it could have and should have been done differently. That and the other 3 bullet points I touched on do nothing to help the product and do everything to damage it.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
That argument has merit to a certain extent. While they are in Orlando, they are at the Camping World Stadium, not exactly a destination spot within the city. They never have issues selling seats and meet and greet passes and while their new partnership with ESPN in recent past allows for them to easier market that headline match, it damages your product long term and anyone who remembers the years of Wrestlemania 8,9 and so on, it has lasting effects that they should have learned their lessons from.
I don't agree with this thinking that guys aren't getting over because part timers are taking headlining spots. getting a Wrestlemania headlining spot doesn't make someone into a megastar. Stone Cold was already a megastar when he headlined Wrestlemania 14. if anything it was his midcard match with Bret Hart at 13 that really pushed him over. the Rock was already a megastar when he headlined 15 with Austin having launched himself to that level on account of his overwhelming charisma. the inability of the current crop of wrestlers to get over to that level can only be blamed on themselves. if Kevin Owens wants Goldberg's spot then all he has to do is draw more money than Goldberg.

I would also add that Kevin Owens is a fat mess and would draw a ton of mockery from the public if he was to go up against an absolute monster like Lesnar.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I agree with Keg on almost all of this. Goldberg vs Lesnar is to attract people who see the commercial for it and buy the event or subscribe to the network to watch it.

Keg, what do you think about AJ Styles? Should he be in the main event of Wrestlemania, or are the rumors of a Shane McMahon match a good spot for him this year?

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Drawing more money long term is what's key here, not short term. Owens will do that over Goldberg. Having huge Mania numbers is great for quarterly numbers but end of fiscal year is what's truly important. If you listen to Bruce Prichards podcast he mentions this a few times and how in the early 90's all they cared for was short term results and it killed their product on the State side of things and it took years to repair what they did.

Do I think this is as back then? No, but it could head that direction easily at this point because like I said, this wasn't the only issue with last nights card, there were many things that damaged their mania build last night, Owens/Goldberg was just on of them.

And also, Owens/Lesner have actually had some matches at house shows recently all to a great response, which is why its been rumored for awhile that they will go at it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I agree with Keg on almost all of this. Goldberg vs Lesnar is to attract people who see the commercial for it and buy the event or subscribe to the network to watch it.

Keg, what do you think about AJ Styles? Should he be in the main event of Wrestlemania, or are the rumors of a Shane McMahon match a good spot for him this year?

Styles should be a main eventer, but much like with Goldberg/Lesnar, they will go with what will draw huge numbers just for that one event. Shane is known to be a spot monkey, we will all wait for that one major spot, AJ will then win, people cheer and then they will move forward.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

I like AJ. I think at this point his gimmick of "pissed off Indy guy" is wearing kind of thin though and he needs to change it up. I think AJ vs Bray vs Orton would be a good Smackdown main event, I don't really care to see Shane wrestle anymore.

edit: my favorite on Smackdown right now is the Miz, probably the best on the mic that they currently have in the business. hope they have big plans in store for him as well.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm of the same mind about Shane. He's a good Mania match simply because a lot of people want to see what crazy spot he will do. Off the titon tron, off a cage whatever, a lot of people crave to see what Shane will do simple to get a reaction when he doesn't need to do any of it. I admit, I always look forward to seeing what he'll do, but the matches themselves are never very entertaining.

AJ's angel f pissed off Indy guy was great with Cena and it's okay going forward as long as i ends with Shane. He's good enough to stand on his own and do his own thing without having to rely on that anymore. I wish Vince wasn't so anti stable so we could see The Club get together among other factions and groups too.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Drawing more money long term is what's key here, not short term. Owens will do that over Goldberg. Having huge Mania numbers is great for quarterly numbers but end of fiscal year is what's truly important. If you listen to Bruce Prichards podcast he mentions this a few times and how in the early 90's all they cared for was short term results and it killed their product on the State side of things and it took years to repair what they did.

Do I think this is as back then? No, but it could head that direction easily at this point because like I said, this wasn't the only issue with last nights card, there were many things that damaged their mania build last night, Owens/Goldberg was just on of them.

And also, Owens/Lesner have actually had some matches at house shows recently all to a great response, which is why its been rumored for awhile that they will go at it.
having Goldberg headlining is what has the potential to put new eyes on the show and bring attention to people like Owens who are unknown to the public. if you booked the show your way you have nothing but internet wrestling fans would be tuning in and there would be no fresh blood coming into the fan base. the internet fans will always be there despite however many threats about cancelling subs when they don't like the booking. it's the mainstream attention WWE needs to bring in new fans.

also, Owens versus Lesnar house show hasn't happened yet, it's at MSG in a few weeks. not sure where you're getting that information.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I get the reasoning there Keg, but it's something they have to thread carefully with is my point. Bringing in newfaces to a product is always key, but past trends HAVE shown that fans will leave the product is that line isn't toed correctly and at the moment, depending on how the build between now and Mania goes and how they push post mania (Lesnar/Reigns is pretty meh honestly) it could go poorly. Having your champ on one TV taping a month is not good for business long term.

And yeah I misread the ingo about the match with Owens/Lesnar, just that it was getting a real positive response with early booking numbers and press. That's my mistake.

At any rate, they wont feud two heels for the title anyway.

On a side note....am I the only one who remembers that Nia Jax is supposed to be the #1 contender from her match like 2 months ago?