Spring 2017 Anime Thread

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, it seems that I'm watching a lot of shows this season, compared to only 2 or 3 last season. Fortunately, they come out throughout the week, so it's not too weekend heavy.

Sunday:
Alice to Zouroku - Third episode was much better than the 2nd, in my opinion. They're introducing some more characters and I like the direction.
Atom - Not much to say about it. Looking at the early list, I thought it was an Astro Boy thing, so I gave it a shot. The animation is pretty bad, but the first episode seemed decent enough. I'll give it another 2-3 before making my final decision.

Monday:
Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho - Ok, this is a silly show, but I'm giving it a chance because Zero is in the title. The concept is witches are alive, and very powerful. And somehow these man-beasts always fight the witches. But this man-beast and a witch decide to work together or something. It has my attention.

Tuesday:
Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records - I enjoyed this one from the start. The dopey magic teacher is apparently a lazy genius (very common in anime), and he will teach the kids to understand magic better than any real teacher. It's a good show.
Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasuka Isogashii Desuka Sukutte Moratte li Desuka - Strange show, but good anyway. The end of the first episode says that humanity was wiped out 560 years ago, so now the world consists of floating islands and shit like that. And a few people are still alive. Somehow a group of girls are secret military weapons. That idea is dumb, but the first episode was good enough.

Wednesday:
Boruto - It's Naruto 2.0. I'm enjoying the early stuff. I'll probably tire of it soon enough, though.
Love Kome - It's a dumb show, but only 4 minutes long. No problems there.

Thursday:
Tsuki ga Kirei - This is a great high school romantic drama. The animation is very reminiscent of Hai to Grimgar, and the characters are believable enough.

Friday:
Berserk - It's what you expect. Yet at the same time, this isn't in my top 5 for the season.
DanMachi Gaiden - The start of this episode was acceptable but not great. But then it ties into the first episode of the original DanMachi at the end, so I realize these are running on the same timeline. I'm going to like this a lot more now. PS - Hi Bell!
Seikaisuro Kado - I really like this one. It's the Negotiator show, where this giant cube appeared at an airport and absorbed a plane. I can't tell what the end game is going to be, but the show seems good.

Saturday:
Boku no Hero Academia - Hands down my favorite this season. Yes, it's changed since last season, but I'm really enjoying it.
Re:Creators - Introducing even more characters this latest episode. They've probably pulled in the "top 10 favorite characters from Games and Anime" into the imaginary world they're creating. I liked seeing the one chick fight with hearts while the other one has a sword. It's an amusing show.
Shingeki no Kyojin - Attack on Titan is always good. This season is no different. Was the crippled titan his mother? Do the titans suddenly have the ability to "make" normal people into titans?

PS - I only did this list so I can easily remember exactly which shows I'm watching, and which they are. The Japanese titles don't really clue me in at all.
EDIT: I just broke my list down to release day to make searching even easier. Wow, I actually have something to watch every day of the week. That's surprising.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
Re:Creator started off meh but that second episode gave me sacks of hope. So much fun!

I think I mentioned it before but I am not sure and I am too lazy to check but, gundam thunderbolt is faaaaantastic. Season 2 "just" started and idk if it will be as good as the first BUT the first chunk is super duper. Even if the second bit sucks the first bit is standalone so watch without worry.

Do it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Gundam Thunderbolt has a first season? I see that the very first episode came out back in December 2015, but episode 2 didn't come out until a month ago. And they're only on episode 5 now. Was there something before this?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
It was an OVA series but the release between episodes was really spaced out. You can get the whole first season now (the ones I torrented are dated April 22nd of last year so first season has been done for quite a while). I only watched the first episode and when it first came out and thought it was goddamn brilliant. Thanks for reminding me, need to watch the rest.

• 2Like

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yea, OVA. It was 4 episodes. Some time after they all aired they mashed them together and called it a movie. Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky.

As far as I could tell it was 1:1 and you won't miss anything by watching the movie over the OVAs.

But yes, episode 5 aired a few days ago. Nothing grand but the first 4 are so wonderfully dark/fun that I have total faith that the rest will be just as good!

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
SukaSuka (you know the LN adaptation with a way too long name) #02 : I'm definitely getting ready to be hit in the feels with kids that will probable end up dying left and right.

• 2Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeah, I definitely get that vibe also. It was a good episode with a pretty interesting concept for the show.

I don't understand how knowing what the kids are would change your disposition towards them, though. Sure, the kids are born just to die, but you wouldn't shit on them for doing that. Otherwise, being a cancer kid would be WAY worse than it currently is. Realistically, these kids are heroes, so they should be honored.

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah, I definitely get that vibe also. It was a good episode with a pretty interesting concept for the show.

I don't understand how knowing what the kids are would change your disposition towards them, though. Sure, the kids are born just to die, but you wouldn't shit on them for doing that. Otherwise, being a cancer kid would be WAY worse than it currently is. Realistically, these kids are heroes, so they should be honored.

I think it's more that if you know, you may keep your distances in order not to get attached instead of getting close to them.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Lenas

Trump's Staff
@Asmadai and @Lanx were totally right, Boruto has been all filler. Last episode was about Lee sucking when he's nervous and the next episode Boruto is gonna fight Sarada over a sandwich. Wtf.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Maybe forming relationships with the children would show them their lives hold value, which would weaken them.

• 2Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I enjoyed episode 3 of Tsuki ga Kirei. I'm glad that the kid manned so quickly and it wasn't 8-10 episodes of endless moments that could have been. We'll see how it goes, but it's a good start.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
I enjoyed episode 3 of Tsuki ga Kirei. I'm glad that the kid manned so quickly and it wasn't 8-10 episodes of endless moments that could have been. We'll see how it goes, but it's a good start.

It's my cute happy show for the season along with Renai Bouken which is just completely off the fucking wall. Always gotta have something to balance out the shit like Attack on Titan's what-the-fuck-a-thon and Shuumatsu's eventual child killing.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Didn't care for episode 2 of DanMachi Gaiden... hope the tone of the series changes.

Shingeki no Bahamut was good again, as was Kado. Hero Academia didn't disappoint!

• 1Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Didn't care for episode 2 of DanMachi Gaiden... hope the tone of the series changes.

Yeah not feeling this season of DanMachi either, from what I understand all the scenes with Ais should have been from her perspective instead of that new elf chick.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah not feeling this season of DanMachi either, from what I understand all the scenes with Ais should have been from her perspective instead of that new elf chick.
That is what I am hoping the series will eventually do... the other elf chick is uninteresting, and Ais right now, seems like a zombie.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Regarding today's shows...

Attack on Titan was pretty dope. It looks like the Titans are just Russians, though (ha).
Hero Academy was a little dull, but I guess that was to be expected. He doesn't have full All-Might powers yet, so he's a weak bitch relying on others.
Re:Creators, the flying horse that makes motorcycle acceleration noises was dumb. The rest of the show was good, though. I like the idea of being able to change what a character can do, but they need to figure out how to make it work.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Hero Academy was a little dull, but I guess that was to be expected. He doesn't have full All-Might powers yet, so he's a weak bitch relying on others.
Edit - nm I'm behind an episode lol

• 1Like