Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Axamander

N00b
So uh, back on track, whats the latest with this game? :p

(havent been following it much, just the occasional vid)
2.3 was to add the bounty system. 2.4 added persistence and a functioning store/currency. Next iteration is supposed to be the hardpoint/pipe system on ships. Currently in the meta you can zero-g, dogfight, and FPS seamlessly. He predicts the broader system implementation and planet stuff by the end of the year.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
The majority of people won't judge this shit until it releases, whatever that may mean. Most people who would play probably don't even know this exists yet. I just want a new Freelancer =/ I have zero expectations of this game ever reaching the level they Kickstarted it with.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Can we all agree upon that the current Star Citizen development has little to do with the Kickstarter project that was launched in 2012? As in, the game people backed in 2012 is not what they are currently working on?

Regardless of if you support the current development or not, it is simply not the same project, correct?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
It's like 20% of the same project. Or it's like the kickstarter is for vanilla wow and before the game is even released we're being told legion is in development.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Can we all agree upon that the current Star Citizen development has little to do with the Kickstarter project that was launched in 2012? As in, the game people backed in 2012 is not what they are currently working on?

Regardless of if you support the current development or not, it is simply not the same project, correct?
I agree, but in retrospect..if I need $100 to buy crack and some people gave me $100,000 I would consider creating a crack house as well.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The problem is it doesn't play at all like Freelancer. This is SimSpaceFantasy, the flight model isn't anywhere near as approachable and fun as Freelancer and all the components of the universe are under 3 times as much mechanical busywork.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
It's like 20% of the same project. Or it's like the kickstarter is for vanilla wow and before the game is even released we're being told legion is in development.
I like where your head is at but I don't think that properly works. Legion isn't bringing a huge amount of system changes.

This is taking a game and mid development cycle bringing out a different game.

Destiny went through that a bit. You could maybe put SC2 into that also but that just was really about story line and not an entire system change.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Double the levels, 3 new classes, 10x the world size, 20 extra tiers of raiding, flying mounts, 5 new bgs, 4 new pvp areas, talent revamps, 2 or 3 new professions, runes, pet battles, garrison, farming, heirlooms.... could go on

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just want a new Freelancer =/
I'd like to play that game too. Star Citizen may end up being the next sliced bread but not any time soon. Just a question, is there a modern Freelancer type game around that people like? Something to play while we wait on Chris to spend his millions. I have Elite, not that one.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Not that I know of, not exactly. I tried Elite too but that was more sim. Star Citizen won't be it. I would think there is a market for the game type but I rarely see action space fighter type games.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'd like to play that game too. Star Citizen may end up being the next sliced bread but not any time soon. Just a question, is there a modern Freelancer type game around that people like? Something to play while we wait on Chris to spend his millions. I have Elite, not that one.
Nope.

You're looking at Elite, SC's alpha, Eve and X.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Only get the old versions of X. The new one is a hot steamy piece of shit. The old ones have horrific stories which are mostly entertaining only to here the voice actors say cock a lot while trying to sound serious, but the game play holds up.

Blackwulf

N00b
A lot of you guys sound really salty about this project. Have you invested a lot and are worried? Myself? I'm just playing other shit and hoping for the best in a year or 3.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't think people have really started to get salty about it (except for Derek Smart). Cynics are just stepping up to hopefuls.

I'm with you. They're making progress and have a steady income of people buying fake ships for an unreleased game. We'll see how it is in 2018 or 2019.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
While I feel the pace of updates in the alpha is good, I also feel that if the single player game isn't a smash hit, this project is doomed.

Not just for the money, but also for the much-needed good press.

Variise

N00b
Did you guys actually play the Wing Commander series games and Freelancer because I remember playing entirely different games from most of you crying out for that type of gameplay. You realize they were some of the only "mass market" games that had actual physics in them with sim like features taken from some of the military sims.

The simple things you see happening on the screen weren't that simple. Chris went way way into detail about how he got those games to market a year or two ago in SC community interviews and I didn't realize half the crazy stuff he pushed into them.

I think some of you are confusing games like EVE: Valkyrie with Freelancer and other early games. Freelancer was a progression of the WC series games was a lot of things. Simplified space shooter was hardly one of them.

Axamander

N00b
The problem is it doesn't play at all like Freelancer. This is SimSpaceFantasy, the flight model isn't anywhere near as approachable and fun as Freelancer and all the components of the universe are under 3 times as much mechanical busywork.
The flight model updates were all put on hold. The new items and pipes system is supposed to come out in the next patch. When it does they will start rolling out the update FM.

For about the past 6 months or so it's been like this and they use flight computer workarounds. Some ships work better than others. The mustangs and hornets fly just fine. The Drake and CSI ships not so much.

If you are talking about flight mechanics then I don't see that the problem is. Star Fox was approachable but this is dealing with center of mass translational/rotational reality modeling. Fighting uncoupled to your original vector is novel for me. If I don't like my roll/pitch/yaw sensitivity then I change it.

As for not playing like Freelancer I disagree unless you mean that it plays faster and its much easier to run into things but the nav system feels very similar. Weapons ballistics take some getting used to but Freelancer had autoaim and I'm not a fan of that at all.