Steam deck portable handheld gaming PC from Valve

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would like an oled but I don't think it's worth the hassle for me. I have upgraded to 1TB so not sure I want to do that again.

I mainly play D4, Civilization 6 and various Indy games on mine.

I have never had anything OLED, is it really that much better?

Nola

Trakanon Raider
What do you actually play on this? This just seems good for idk platformers but that's a very specific genre. I feel like most of my steam library is not very conducive to a controller, unlike most the stuff I'd buy on the switch.
Alot of games. Platformers like you said, retro emulated games, Diablo 4 and even Path of Exile. I also have one of those mini foldable blue tooth keyboard and mouse for games that require a mouse/KB from my Steam library. I work 12 hour and it really helps pass the time by. I even thought of buying a laptop instead.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
What do you actually play on this? This just seems good for idk platformers but that's a very specific genre. I feel like most of my steam library is not very conducive to a controller, unlike most the stuff I'd buy on the switch.

Controller games ideally. Really comes down to what runs well and plays well with a controller scheme.
I do a lot of Vamp Survivors types, some shit like American Trucking sim/lawn mower sim. I starter Valheim on mine yesterday and it's pretty good on Deck, though building is kinda a pain so not sure if I'll stick to the deck for it.

I would like an oled but I don't think it's worth the hassle for me. I have upgraded to 1TB so not sure I want to do that again.

I mainly play D4, Civilization 6 and various Indy games on mine.

I have never had anything OLED, is it really that much better?

I only have had OLED TV but I think it's a noticeable difference in visual quality.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
OLED is very noticeably different visually, especially in bright light environments.

Aazrael

Theres also the DeckHD mod with a 1200p screen. But not sure thats worth it since it would probably steal some FPS, unless it looks better while still running 800p?

I got a long charging cable with a 90 degree connector and now I can finally play the thing for more than 1.5hours. The battery life is for sure the downside on these things.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
Steam deck is nearly 2 years old now too (Feb 2022), so hardly screwing anyone. It would be slightly different I think if it had a power upgrade in addition to screen, then FOMO will really hit in, but just a screen update and minor QoL isn't terrible.

It is funny looking at all the selling places like facebook marketplace ebay etc, people are wild trying to dump their steam deck and buy the new one. If you want one for your kid you can pick up a primo deck thats been upgraded and mod'd up nice for $300, saw a guy on discord selling his with a 2TB internal SSD, 1tb microSD, dock, all sorts of extra kit i didn't even know exist etc for $350.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
On the other hand anyone that just bought one within the last month has every right to be angry. They kept this pretty quiet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
if you bought one recently from valve directly DM their customer service, they will offer either a full refund (you return) or a partial refund to cover the difference. i know someone on discord who bought one 45 days ago and they took it back and gave him a UPS label, refunded the money to his steam wallet, and told him to preorder the new one when it goes live

i dont know the exact cutoff and they probably look at your steam activity, he's been active 10+ years and spent thousands so that probably helped him

Aazrael

I bought mine in June just before the summer sale and got refunded the difference to my Steam Wallet for that sale.

They seem to have a good support. Worth asking if you got one recently. Mine is now 4-5 months old and also modded with a new ssd so I think my ship has sailed.

If I knew there was an updated version coming out I would probably have waited. Guess they wanted to sell out their current stock.

Last edited:

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Going to try my luck getting the limited edition OLED. I'm assuming it is going to be hard to get. If I can't get it, I'll just keep my old deck till Steam Deck 2.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I sent Valve customer support a ticket asking for a refund via Steam wallet and hopefully they will accept it. Mine is not modded and only a few months old so let’s see if they will bite. If not I’ll just hold off until they release a Steamdeck 2.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
1700160515690.png

I bit. Let's hope it's good.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Damn is that today? Want the upgrade but I'm sitting this one out. Wish they had a trade in deal.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Goonsquad Officer
oh damn. gotta get on this. i told the wife i wanted a steam deck for xmas. she said "okay but you have to help me find it".

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My kid just got one of these....

He got some special at Best Buy open box, Z1X for $400. 1080p 120hz screen 512 nvme storage. No oled but specs seem better on apu and gpu.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
one issue with the rog ally is they were melting microSD cards at launch, i think theyve put in some minor fixes for it but something to look out for. just google asus rog ally microSD issues. Might not want to put anything other than old retro games on microSD.

they're still selling the limited edition translucent model, if youre gonna pay the bux may as well get that edition. it was 1-2 weeks ship a few hours ago and now up to 3-4 weeks which isn't bad at all, nice to see them doing this sort of queuing system to fight back against scalpers. still a lot sold on ebay though, morons lol

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I think why some people are opting for the 512 over the 1TB is the glossy vs matte screen on the 1TB. I personally prefer glossy as colors just look better to me. Though if reflections are a thing for you the 1TB could be better.