Steam deck portable handheld gaming PC from Valve

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Update 3.5.5 is now live. Adding option to change color temperature and sRGB/boosted. They say improved performance also but not sure if I have noticed that yet.

Regarding the gloss/matte, would have liked to compare them but I play mainly in a dark room and the gloss works great for me. Tempted to sell the lcd and get an OLED but not sure its worth the hassle. Might make an add and see if anyone bites, if not I'll keep it and wait for SD2.

Edit: The second hand market is flooded here in Sweden. Not worth selling at a loss. Guess everyone want to upgrade. :p

Last edited:

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone else on the Legion Go? I setup mine as a desktop replacement with an egpu (raser core x/RTX3060) and it performs equal or better than my i9 build.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
20231122_131305.jpg

Already arrived =D

• 5Like
  • 1Weird Boner
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 6 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Got my 512GB model yesterday and yeah, screen is amazing. Now to hit up Steam sales and beef up the library a bit. Definitely some games I that I bought previously feel great on a handheld.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
seems like a very decent screen upgrade, lcd 2021 model vs oled 2023

1j3l1upb8k1c1.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
That definitely looks pretty good, and I use my steam deck all the time at work. Probably gonna skip for now though. Give it a year or two and I'd probably be sold.

Aazrael

So from what I saw on SD Reddit the Limited Edition is using some Chinese OLED instead of Samsung OLED and people are spotting a lot of dead pixel screens. No idea if its is a real issue though but maybe worth checking your LE screens a bit extra for defects.

• 1Worf

jdfording

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for posting this. I ordered a LE Deck last night and already cancelled it. Seems very wide spread. Shame they cheaped out and put the worst panel in the most expensive version. I'll either order a non LE or wait a bit. Been looking at the Lenovo and Asus hand helds also but they all have problems. Also debating on if the 512gb version without the screen coating might look better. Also seeing reports of shoulder button issues and track pad issues.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Can you hoard games? I spend a lot of time setting up Emulators and download roms for games I will probably never get to play. Right now I am adding Switch games when I can to the Steam Deck but not sure if I will even play them.

Then theres the autumn sale on Steam thats not helping at all.

The Steam Deck made it all worse.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

All the hyping of the OLEd is making me sad. Its making me want to upgrade but I know it's just not worth it.

If I had them side by side I would probably understand but now its just the FOMO going into overdrive.

I need to stay strong until SD2.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Doesnt OLED have massive burn in issues?
No. Burn-in hasn't been a thing under normal home uses for like over a quarter century. Now if you own a restaurant and show a menu for years, there are precautions you need to take.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
All the hyping of the OLEd is making me sad. Its making me want to upgrade but I know it's just not worth it.

If I had them side by side I would probably understand but now its just the FOMO going into overdrive.

I need to stay strong until SD2.

The OLED is a massive upgrade and worth it. Game just look so much better with the new screen.

• 1Rustled

Aazrael

The OLED is a massive upgrade and worth it. Game just look so much better with the new screen.
Yea and thats why I am rustled. Not sure what I can sell a 64GB model thats upgraded to 1TB for, maybe $400? The market is really flooded with LCD Steam Decks. Then to buy the 512GB model is around $650 here in Sweden so thats like $250 to upgrade a screen and go down in storage space. Would like to do it but can't really afford that kind of vanity right now.

Really wish they had announced it earlier, bought mine in June or whatever so I am kind of annoyed at Valve.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
contact valve, they may take it back as a return even that late if you say you'll take the refund as steam wallet money to spend on an oled. although you may wanna put the 64gb back in and say you barely used it at all (easier for them to sell refurb'd).

im gone on a 6 week trip through asia soon (wedding family trip etc) and am debating taking my deck, just bought a thin ass case on amazon that cuts the size down in half of the package which is awesome.
www.amazon.com/dp/B0C27GB2CC

this is a great guide to setup xPlay on steam deck native, took 15 mins and I played Forza last night for a few mins and it worked flawless. Probably will require REALLY good wifi to not rubber band around but its a nice option to play some xbox games on the go.

I think its best just to focus on 5-10 games and play those instead of trying to build out the library of congress of gaming. For me its Vampire Survivors, Simpsons Hit n Run (modded), Dave the Diver (just bought it), Wind Waker HD wii u emulated, Persona 4 Golden, and i'll probably fit in 3-4 more. I don't think I'd enjoy Cyberpunk, RDR2, or BG3 since I'd rather play those on my desktop/TV.

• 2Like

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Yea and thats why I am rustled. Not sure what I can sell a 64GB model thats upgraded to 1TB for, maybe $400? The market is really flooded with LCD Steam Decks. Then to buy the 512GB model is around $650 here in Sweden so thats like $250 to upgrade a screen and go down in storage space. Would like to do it but can't really afford that kind of vanity right now.

Really wish they had announced it earlier, bought mine in June or whatever so I am kind of annoyed at Valve.

The OLED also has longer battery life. It is a big upgrade.

spronk

FPS noob
probably taking my steam deck on vacation so i played around with getting mario wonder running on it, probably not gonna really play since it runs so well on my desktop and i have a million other games to play but for anyone curious it seems to run pretty well at 60 fps on the deck

mods you'd need

what it looks like with the mods

it ran 60 fps most of the time for me on deck with the 60 fps mod, although it would dip to 40-50 sometimes probably due to shader caching and I imagine some of the later more complex levels won't be as great. I put it and mario RPG and mario sunshine/galaxy (gamecube) on it although I don't think I'll be able to coop with the kids who will have a real switch lol

• 2Like