The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

spronk

FPS noob
haha
GameStop stock price tanks after Microsoft announces new digital-gaming service

GameStop’s stock price has dropped nearly 8 percent today following Xbox boss Phil Spencer revealing the Xbox Game Pass service. This is a program where Xbox One owners can pay $10 per month to have unlimited access to over 100 Xbox One and backward-compatible Xbox 360 games. Of course, these are all digital games that you download from Microsoft’s Xbox Game Store, and it’s likely that investors are seeing this as a major threat to GameStop.

And an instant library on a console like Xbox One could potentially eat into GameStop’s sales. The brick-and-mortar retailer makes quite a lot of its money from secondhand sales where it resells products that consumers have traded in.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
as a reminder b2g1f is going to happen at target starting sunday, console games (BUT NOT SWITCH) and even some digital games (those that target has a card for) is included. I'd highly recommend 3 of Horizon Zero Dawn, Nier Automata, Yakuza 0, Nioh, maybe Torment:Tides of Numenera (RPG), For Honor (if you are into it), or Resident Evil 7 - all recent games. Works out to $40/game ($120/3+tax)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Windows Holographic rebranded to Mixed Reality and is coming to Scorpio in 2018. Devkits going out this month.

acer-windows-mixed-reality-development-edition-headset-2.jpg

Microsoft starts shipping Windows 10 mixed reality developer kits this month

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Those of you with a ps4 pro, worth upgrading from a regular ps4? Up until this point my ps4 was my bloodborne/last of us box, but I do really wanna play nioh/horizon/nier and I'm curious how big a performance difference there is.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm late to the console party, as usual, may have missed the conversation about this. But does anyone recommend the PS4 VR? Seems like a lot to lay down on top of the console for a few games. A guy I work with has it and talks it up, but I'm not sure if he's talking shit or real.

spronk

FPS noob
ps4 pro - its technically got 2.3x the GPU power of a ps4. Is it really worth double the price? not really. If you DON'T have a 4k tv, should you get it? Nope. If you have a good 4K tv, will things look better? yes. Is "better" worth $200? Really your call. I bought one, I like it, I'd honestly be just fine with a ps4. I only swapped because gamestop gave me $175 for a 2 year old ps4 so paying another $225 for a hardware refresh seemed worth it. There is a small chance Sony will announce another hardware revision at E3 (nobody knows) so could just wait until then.

The 4.50 firmware patch coming out soon will also let older games run faster in Pro mode so thats a nice plus.

PSVR - nah, its technically the worst of the 3 big VR sets. With the microsoft VR announcement this week and LG getting into it with their own Steam VR system, unless you have dreamed of being in VR as a kid (in which case you'd already own a Vive or Oculus) its really just not worth buying into right now. I know very few people who own VR sets and really use them more than a few hours and then just kinda stop playing. The games just aren't that great.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Those of you with a ps4 pro, worth upgrading from a regular ps4? Up until this point my ps4 was my bloodborne/last of us box, but I do really wanna play nioh/horizon/nier and I'm curious how big a performance difference there is.
It was worth it to me, if you have a 4k HDR display. I traded my PS4 for 175 bucks toward the Pro, which made it not too much out of pocket. Uncharted 4 looked amazing on the Pro with HDR and I hear that Horizon looks even better. Being able to run stuff at better framerates is great as well.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It was worth it to me, if you have a 4k HDR display. I traded my PS4 for 175 bucks toward the Pro, which made it not too much out of pocket. Uncharted 4 looked amazing on the Pro with HDR and I hear that Horizon looks even better. Being able to run stuff at better framerates is great as well.

Where did you get that kind of trade value? Gamestop? I'd be far less jewy about upgrading if it was ~250 out of pocket rather than ~450 or whatever the new one costs.

Yea I have a 4k TV, but I'm more concerned about getting 60fps in nioh etc than that really.

Edit: gamestop it is

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea their site says 150$ currently, but even that is fine really. I was gonna try and craigslist it but the place is currently flooded with ps4s in the 100-150$ range so didn't seem worth the hassle, but if gamestop will just do it all in one shot for me then sure?

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
150 is pretty good. It was 125 w/ bonus 50 when I did mine, so it looks like they upped the standard value by 25 bucks now. It was pretty quick/painless. Just bring your system, one controller, controller charge cable, power cable. No box or manuals needed.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Is it worth it to trade in my XB1 somewhere? I'm wanting to jump ship to PS4 for GoW, Horizon and Nioh. I don't need both systems and would like to pay for most of it with the trade in of my XB1 if possible.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Is it worth it to trade in my XB1 somewhere? I'm wanting to jump ship to PS4 for GoW, Horizon and Nioh. I don't need both systems and would like to pay for most of it with the trade in of my XB1 if possible.
Gamestop is offering 100 bucks trade-in on original Xbox One 500gb.