The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
When it was last discussed, 5% was floated as the amount of usual failure you see in new technology. I have no idea if that is right. Assuming that 5% number is right, it would have to pass the 5% to be considered widespread.

Really, it comes down to whatever number Sony internally set, which we don't know. Once it passes Sony's internal number, it is officially a widespread problem.
And Sony is going to be so honest and open about that right? What world do you live in?

spronk

FPS noob
one thing for all the ps4 people out there: dont fuck with the system when its downloading something. People are reporting a lot of freezes and stuff, especially with the f2p games (dcuo, warframe, etc) if you start doing other shit while its updating. Start an install and then just go away until its completely done. It kinda sucks because I couldn't figure out where the progress bar was while it was installing/updating Killzone, but it was done within 15 minutes.

and before utnayan shitposts, no, its not ok that a 2013 console seems to get fucked multitasking, but there seems to be something buggy with the downloader chip or OS functions so may as well save yourself some hassle.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
When it was last discussed, 5% was floated as the amount of usual failure you see in new technology. I have no idea if that is right. Assuming that 5% number is right, it would have to pass the 5% to be considered widespread.

Really, it comes down to whatever number Sony internally set, which we don't know. Once it passes Sony's internal number, it is officially a widespread problem.
I'm not an expert but for consumer electronics 5% is pretty high.

But for initial release of a new console? I guess the trend is pretty tanked by the 360's rrod.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
And Sony is going to be so honest and open about that right? What world do you live in?
So, you won't believe Sony's numbers no matter what. You're just going to guess based on anecdotal reports (which, when probably millions have been sold, a few hundred are). You kind of sound like you're predisposed to a certain outcome!

I think if it's around 5% it won't be big enough to have the RRoD type of notoriety. What was that, something like 34% (though if that was a MS number, it was surely more like 99%, RIIIIGHT?)?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So, you won't believe Sony's numbers no matter what. You're just going to guess based on anecdotal reports (which, when probably millions have been sold, a few hundred are). You kind of sound like you're predisposed to a certain outcome!

I think if it's around 5% it won't be big enough to have the RRoD type of notoriety. What was that, something like 34% (though if that was a MS number, it was surely more like 99%, RIIIIGHT?)?
The point is, Dick, that Sony is already and has been downplaying this as any other company would for PR control. Point being they are trying to protect that launch window when Microsoft will be launching next Friday. Microsoft also initially said the rrod was under 1% of consoles. We all know how that panned out.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
"Sony has had a perfect launch and can do no wrong, everyone is trolling that says their PS4 had problem."

Later that day.

"Of course there is going to be at least 5% broken ones duh, everyone knows that."

Talk about a disconnect.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Of course we have to go by anecdotal reports! Ut is not interested in a rational conversation. Sony is in PR spin, they are evil, we must bring them down! LONG LIVE STEAMOS!

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Man you are pathetic. Of course we won't know Sony's internal number. That is why it is called internal you dumbfuck. LOL
Honestly their internal number was probably tossed together from pre-release final units given out and their fail rate. That's the quickest way to do it with any real numbers unless you're going to test thousands of units manually in the lab. So say they gave out 5000 (4k Taco Bell, 1k other) - probably 2 of those units failed if I not screwing up the math. Assuming that pile of 5k translates to the other 99.9% of units they're planning to sell might be faulty though, since it is such a small part of the total group.

Regardless it doesn't sound THAT widespread though... just chatted with our local Gamestop this morning, 410 units sold (apparently they combined the local mall's release night since it can't do midnight things into his) in the first 24 hrs - thusfar 2 calls about issues that he has units sitting to swap out if necessary that have no come into the store after he hooked them up with Sony support numbers that he's presuming are fine, but he's giving 48 hrs before he lets those units back into the wild. [And possibly into my hands, if my impulsiveness takes me]

So for verified failures at his store, 0 thusfar. 0.5% roughly if you count the "called up and might be resolved" ones he listed.

Also Amazon likely will always have a higher fail rate simply because it's harder for them to guarantee the shipper handles it properly - so many flung boxes... but for places like Gamestop that would be getting pallets full of units, you can't hurl those boxes...

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Oh for fucks sake are you really posting this shit? What the FUCK is happening to this forum? It's the god damn truth! Post the fucking TRUTH.
If you actually read my post, I was agreeing with you, but saying to take Amazon with a grain of salt. You then start babbling about truth and justice. Yes, there is an issue. However, when you start saying "every review" and words like "all", those words mean something you were wrong. It wasn't the truth, as you put it.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
one thing for all the ps4 people out there: dont fuck with the system when its downloading something. People are reporting a lot of freezes and stuff, especially with the f2p games (dcuo, warframe, etc) if you start doing other shit while its updating. Start an install and then just go away until its completely done. It kinda sucks because I couldn't figure out where the progress bar was while it was installing/updating Killzone, but it was done within 15 minutes.

and before utnayan shitposts, no, its not ok that a 2013 console seems to get fucked multitasking, but there seems to be something buggy with the downloader chip or OS functions so may as well save yourself some hassle.
Shut up with shit posting comments and I told everyone about ten pages back not to download DCUO as it was bricking systems. Pay attention.

Soygen you are correct. From now on I will say "a fuck of a lot".

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They do this based on a financial figure. If they will lose more money in lawsuits or damages, they issue a recall. If not, they don't care. Just like any car dealership.
Yes, we all saw Fight Club as well - you mangled the quote though. And if you actually read up on some of those, they were completely voluntary. Like one of them was that their "waterproof battery" on a VIAO model wasn't actually as waterproof as they said, and they expected no lawsuits for it - but still felt it appropriate to meet advertised conditions.

Boo at you a_skeleton_03 for posting that during my post.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Out of curiosity, has anyone on ReRolled had an unrecoverable PS4 error/brick?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yes, we all saw Fight Club as well - you mangled the quote though. And if you actually read up on some of those, they were completely voluntary. Like one of them was that their "waterproof battery" on a VIAO model wasn't actually as waterproof as they said, and they expected no lawsuits for it - but still felt it appropriate to meet advertised conditions.
Right but how many laptops were actually sent in from that one scenario? It could have been the cheapest recall ever and gave them tons of GOOD publicity.

There are way too many variables to a recall for you to make a judgement call.

Translation: Vaclav isn't the end all expert on all things like he always claims to be.