The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Yes, we all saw Fight Club as well - you mangled the quote though. And if you actually read up on some of those, they were completely voluntary. Like one of them was that their "waterproof battery" on a VIAO model wasn't actually as waterproof as they said, and they expected no lawsuits for it - but still felt it appropriate to meet advertised conditions.
So they don't open themselves up to lawsuits from false advertising. Got it.

a_skeleton_03, you never disappoint me. If I could buy you pancakes right now, I would.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly their internal number was probably tossed together from pre-release final units given out and their fail rate. That's the quickest way to do it with any real numbers unless you're going to test thousands of units manually in the lab. So say they gave out 5000 (4k Taco Bell, 1k other) - probably 2 of those units failed if I not screwing up the math. Assuming that pile of 5k translates to the other 99.9% of units they're planning to sell might be faulty though, since it is such a small part of the total group.
Their internal number will be based primarily off financials. In that, what % can fail that Sony will replace and find it financially acceptable. Like you pointed out, there isn't a realistic way for Sony to come up with an accurate number based off of testing a large amount of units.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I was just messing with the Remote Play on Vita and that really impressed me. Almost no discernible lag and that's with both the PS4 and Vita being on Wifi. Pretty neat little feature if you don't want to be in your living room, etc.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Right but how many laptops were actually sent in from that one scenario? It could have been the cheapest recall ever and gave them tons of GOOD publicity.

There are way too many variables to a recall for you to make a judgement call.

Translation: Vaclav isn't the end all expert on all things like he always claims to be.
Oh voluntary ones definitely are good publicity that's an absolute, won't disagree with that - I wasn't trying to claim that they were some bastions of generosity. But lets say there's a hypothetical 10% fail rate - they're either going to recall all the unsold systems before they're sold and retest/fix them before they're rereleased into the wild or something else that's going to show their hand about the quantity being severe. If it's in the 1-2% range you'll probably stick with the "deal with problems individually" method like normal however.

Because as stated, they will be most cost efficient to just replace everything at a point and prevent new sales where a common flaws exist to happen. And they've demonstrated great willingness to do such in the past.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I was just messing with the Remote Play on Vita and that really impressed me. Almost no discernible lag and that's with both the PS4 and Vita being on Wifi. Pretty neat little feature if you don't want to be in your living room, etc.
Nvidia Shield + PC is something I want to try along the same vein, I just need to find somebody with a coupon for it.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I set that up but haven't tried it yet. Gonna have to do that later.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Oh voluntary ones definitely are good publicity that's an absolute, won't disagree with that - I wasn't trying to claim that they were some bastions of generosity. But lets say there's a hypothetical 10% fail rate - they're either going to recall all the unsold systems before they're sold and retest/fix them before they're rereleased into the wild or something else that's going to show their hand about the quantity being severe. If it's in the 1-2% range you'll probably stick with the "deal with problems individually" method like normal however.

Because as stated, they will be most cost efficient to just replace everything at a point and prevent new sales where a common flaws exist to happen. And they've demonstrated great willingness to do such in the past.
Every number stated as fact when it comes to recall just proves how wrong the person stating them is.

There is no formula and every company treats every single individual recall differently.

Chrysler refuses NHTSA demand for 2.7 million Jeep SUV recall - Jun. 4, 2013

They then changed their stance like a week later because of the backlash.

The NHTSA requested the company to do it and they downright refused .... nothing out there can make Sony do a recall or even admit a problem if they just don't want to.

Vaclav

So they don't open themselves up to lawsuits from false advertising. Got it.
Honestly, from reading that article I think they were more worried about future sales than current ones - it was special laptops for people yachting and such and only a few failed spec, but apparently they charge ridiculous amounts for said laptops. So they probably sell only a few hundred of the laptop a year, and losing even 1-2 of those customers could put the entire division in jeopardy. (I'd compare it to my previous work - as a store with a luxury section + normal sections - our luxury customers we kissed their asses many times over to make sure we didn't lose profitability from those departments - because $40/lb cheeses and the like are going to sell to our top 1% customers like Cal Ripken Jr., not the mom raising 3 kids on $30k household income)

At least that was my take on it. Which is likely biased by some of the quick response and complaints responded to by that one smartphone that claimed to be completely waterproof and had some issues with it's antennae going wonky for a while after being submerged even though as a mini-tablet it worked fine, the antennae would be FUBAR until the unit was bone dry. Forget if I ever saw a followup that they did anything about it though since I could care less about a waterproof phone.

My point wasn't that they were generous - my point was if a problem is building up mass, they've got a history of dealing with it PREEMPTIVELY rather than REFLEXIVELY. Preemptive responses don't really mesh well with obfuscation - benign or malign reasoning behind it is completely tangential to what I was pointing out. Possibly because of lawsuit worries, possibly because they're nice - it doesn't matter - their history is to deal with it before it gets to critical mass, not after - so obfuscation doesn't make sense for them to do. [In fact searches of "Sony denies problems" and the like I can only find isolated incidents]

Vaclav

The NHTSA requested the company to do it and they downright refused .... nothing out there can make Sony do a recall or even admit a problem if they just don't want to.
That's quite possibly true that they could, I have no idea how recalls work precisely - but Sony hasn't been particularly afraid to issue recalls in the past even before requested.

Maybe they'd start to be subversive and obfuscate this time, anything is possible - but their history doesn't seem to imply that to be true since they've done so many recalls before being requested. But anything's possible. (Remember we're not talking Smedley's division - that one I'd not trust particularly - hardware is pretty far from his influence)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Does anyone else sort of hope their PS4 bricks so they get a new fixed one rather than holding onto something that might brick much later?

Also, does anyone know which games are free for PS+ on ps3 this month?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Honestly, from reading that article I think they were more worried about future sales than current ones - it was special laptops for people yachting and such and only a few failed spec, but apparently they charge ridiculous amounts for said laptops. So they probably sell only a few hundred of the laptop a year, and losing even 1-2 of those customers could put the entire division in jeopardy. (I'd compare it to my previous work - as a store with a luxury section + normal sections - our luxury customers we kissed their asses many times over to make sure we didn't lose profitability from those departments - because $40/lb cheeses and the like are going to sell to our top 1% customers like Cal Ripken Jr., not the mom raising 3 kids on $30k household income)

At least that was my take on it. Which is likely biased by some of the quick response and complaints responded to by that one smartphone that claimed to be completely waterproof and had some issues with it's antennae going wonky for a while after being submerged even though as a mini-tablet it worked fine, the antennae would be FUBAR until the unit was bone dry. Forget if I ever saw a followup that they did anything about it though since I could care less about a waterproof phone.

My point wasn't that they were generous - my point was if a problem is building up mass, they've got a history of dealing with it PREEMPTIVELY rather than REFLEXIVELY. Preemptive responses don't really mesh well with obfuscation - benign or malign reasoning behind it is completely tangential to what I was pointing out. Possibly because of lawsuit worries, possibly because they're nice - it doesn't matter - their history is to deal with it before it gets to critical mass, not after - so obfuscation doesn't make sense for them to do. [In fact searches of "Sony denies problems" and the like I can only find isolated incidents]
Good post Vac. The point I would make is that they are already throwing out low ball numbers and according to what we have see thus far, denying its an issue. Although I will freely admit that they may be waiting for all the facts. They also could be playing crowd control because of a competing product launching in six days and it may bolster Microsofts sales. Either or, my one experience with Sony when I needed support was shitty. An old 50 something inch rear projector TV that had notorious green hue issues that they denied were happening for months until they finally came clean when they knew it was a faulty pcb issue all along.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Does anyone else sort of hope their PS4 bricks so they get a new fixed one rather than holding onto something that might brick much later?

Also, does anyone know which games are free for PS+ on ps3 this month?
Dragons Dogma with the expansion is free on ps+ for ps3 this month. Can't remember what else.

And yeah, if its gonna brick, brick now, not two years from now when Sony will charge me to fix it.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm curious if they just got a bad batch of parts or if this is a design flaw or manufacturing problem. I'm really hoping it was just a bad batch of parts since it seems the majority are Amazon orders. I also don't understand how people can actually fucking defend this saying oh it's normal. Fucking console fanbois.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm hoping its just a firmware problem that's gonna get fixed in a patch, honestly. It could be.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I'm curious if they just got a bad batch of parts or if this is a design flaw or manufacturing problem. I'm really hoping it was just a bad batch of parts since it seems the majority are Amazon orders. I also don't understand how people can actually fucking defend this saying oh it's normal. Fucking console fanbois.
You are one of my favorite posters. We need more of you and less of Foggy.

Needless

Toe Sucker
This is pretty much what sold me on the PS4.. I wanna play D3 on my Vita bitches!

With that said, i'm gonna go pick mine up finally.. fingers crossed that it actually works!