The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Szlia

the PS4 won't even play an audio CD at all.
Also can't play LPs
frown.png

More seriously, a fast count lead me to 18 devices in my home that can play audio CDs. I have used only three of those ever to listen to audio CDs and none of those three was a game console. Still a bit strange though. Maybe a cost issue? But the licence to play audio CDs must be negligible (though negligible * a lot of console built = not so negligible).

Sean_sl

shitlord
I don't think it is odd at all.it's a flat out money grab with their own music drive. Not only are they not supporting mp3 but also they aren't suporting basic level home networking for media and YouTube uploading. I also haven't heard of any app support from other music services. A next gen entertainment device that is supposed to last a decade and it comes out without support for some of the most basic features of the last generation?

Just think about Sony/BMG and this becomes obvious. I doubt it will last more then 6 months though and if MS is willing they can really gain some ground advertising themselves as an all in one entertainment device. That assumes they don't make the same bad decision.
I guess that makes sense. I can't really possibly care since I wouldn't be using a PS4 for any of that stuff anyways and have 50 different devices that can do everything. I imagine this would suck for someone who only has one console hooked up and doesn't have a smart TV or htpc or anything like that.

Seems like a shady move from Sony since the stuff they're leaving out are standard features in just about every electronic device now a days and the people who wouldonlyhave a PS4 and be forced to use their music services must be a very tiny amount of people.

Then again if every single other device has it anyways, maybe they think they're saving a few pennies per unit by not spending the time/money to put that stuff in? Dumb either way.

Bane_sl

shitlord
0.00% of people buying a PS4 are buying it with the idea in mind that they'll have a new device to play audio CD's. That market is dying or dead and if they can say hardware costs, storage space, or anything else that will result in higher profit margins, you can bet that they will do it. Sony's mindset is that of Sean's in that there are infinite other devices to listen to audio CD's out there, why do it on a Playstation?

Juvarisx

Florida
So do you have to use a usb thumb drive to install the OS or whatever you need to do if you install a new hard drive right out of the box? Or can you download it via the net onto the ps4 directly. I only ask because I would have to go get mine back.

I know roughly zero people outside of my parents age who even have music CD's anymore

Sean_sl

shitlord
Oh shit, PSA: Before anyone goes and buys a Raptor, make sure to check the height on it. The one Tuco linked has a height of 15 and the max supported on the PS4 is 12.5 (most laptop drives are 9.5).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I just cancelled my pre-order. I really wanted to play my Goo Goo Dolls "A Boy Named Goo" CD on it launch day, but fuck this shit. I'll tell you what, MY PC CAN DO IT! ALL HAIL THE MASTER RACE. Get in on this column.

Seriously, never listened to music on my PS3 and won't do it on my PS4. I also never used it as a media server, but I can see why some would be upset over that. Still pretty excited.

Szlia

I have a friend who bought a PS3 Slim because it was a cheap media server thingy with BluRay and game console thrown on top. That worked well for Sony because he ended up buying several games for it. It's probably less an argument for the PS4 today because the offer for media server thingies is pretty broad and probably cheaper. In fact my friend stopped using his PS3 as a media server thingy, but still games on it from time to time.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I run a Plex server, but my tv isn't new enough to connect it directly. I have a laptop that does it for me, but I'd rather just go with a console and be done. Very disappointed, as I was pretty set on a PS4 if anything. Guess I'll wait on the XBone faq and see if it has DLNA support.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oh shit, PSA: Before anyone goes and buys a Raptor, make sure to check the height on it. The one Tuco linked has a height of 15 and the max supported on the PS4 is 12.5 (most laptop drives are 9.5).
Interesting - 12mm was the restriction on PS3 drives too, no?

And I hate to dredge up an old conversation that people seemed to imply was annoying with/for you - but got any links on the demonstrated differences between 5400/7200 rpm for current gen? (and SSD + 10k if possible would be killer for full consideration)

[Current gen since I'm sure next gen won't be avail - if you've seen next gen ones please feel free to use those instead]

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah a lot of people got PS3s as media platforms because they were really cheap and high quality bluray devices. I don't know how many people use them to play playlists though.

Phaenos_sl

shitlord
Also can't play LPs
frown.png

More seriously, a fast count lead me to 18 devices in my home that can play audio CDs. I have used only three of those ever to listen to audio CDs and none of those three was a game console. Still a bit strange though. Maybe a cost issue? But the licence to play audio CDs must be negligible (though negligible * a lot of console built = not so negligible).
This is more or less where I'm at as well. From the standpoint of principle, it sucks that the PS4 isn't going to be able to play MP3's, Audio CD's or function as a DLNA - but at least for me, I've always relied on other devices to perform these tasks and never my gaming console. Obviously your mileage may vary.

That said, the FAQ has some pretty positive and negative pieces of information that I wasn't expecting (Looking at you external HDD). At the very least, I think it's pretty cool that Sony stepped out with this kind of transparency up-front about the system before it's released. Hasn't changed my mind personally about my launch-day pre-order, but definitely saved me some WTF moments when I fire it up for the first time. Kudos for that.

Phaenos_sl

shitlord
And I might be wrong about this, but those HDD's linked on the previous page were both SATA III and I thought the FAQ mentioned that the PS4 only supports up to SATA II? (Not super tech-savvy, so please correct me if I'm misunderstanding this)

Sean_sl

shitlord
Interesting - 12mm was the restriction on PS3 drives too, no?

And I hate to dredge up an old conversation that people seemed to imply was annoying with/for you - but got any links on the demonstrated differences between 5400/7200 rpm for current gen? (and SSD + 10k if possible would be killer for full consideration)

[Current gen since I'm sure next gen won't be avail - if you've seen next gen ones please feel free to use those instead]
Don't have any handy, but it'd be exactly the same type of differences you'd see on a PC. Better loading, texture streaming, etc. That's about it. Though since the PS3 was only SATA1 there was dick all difference between SSDs and 7200 rpm drives on it. The PS4, I believe, has a proper SATAIII controller so you can just find any benches that show a PC using the same.

Personally I think the WD Blacks are good enough toeliminatemost texture pop that you'd potentially run into Vs the stock and then loading times are pretty much whatever.

Sean_sl

shitlord
And I might be wrong about this, but those HDD's linked on the previous page were both SATA III and I thought the FAQ mentioned that the PS4 only supports up to SATA II? (Not super tech-savvy, so please correct me if I'm misunderstanding this)
The FAQ only says that it comes with a SATAII HDD, it doesn't mention what it supports. I'mpretty certainit does use a SATAIII board, but I could be wrong on that.

Also their own FAQ has some errors:

What type of hard drive does PS4 use?
PS4 is equipped with a 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive. Users can choose to install a new hard drive so long as it complies with these standards, is no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB.
People who have taken apart the PS4 found that it uses a 12.5 bay.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Lol, you have to spend $1000 to get $10 in rewards. That's like, shittier than Gamestop's terrible program (barely). Looks like it's only not worthless if you have a Sony/Playstation credit card.