The Book of Boba Fett

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh, my mistake. I thought it was seven. If they continue the latest quality, they can have whatever number they need and I will sit back and enjoy.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
It is seven. Next ep due February 9th will be the finale.

The finale will setup quite a bit for mando s3. The next show due in the Spring is s1 of Obiwan with Andor following in mid-2022 or q3. Obiwan and Andor are in the same time frame and may even crossover quite a bit so it's curious how they intend to contribute to rehabilitating the franchise if at all.

There are potential ties between the Mando timeline and Obiwan/Andor via Ahsoka, Cad Bane and Grogu himself. If they do some setup for the new shows it'll be through their flashbacks but I dunno if they'll have time for that in the finale.

We could maybe get a hint of Crimson Dawn that could recall how Darth Maul died on Tattooine though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Is it only me who thinks Grogu is too young to be given a lightsaber? I mean, he can't even talk yet and we know his race can.

Also, that scene left me thinking, Luke just seems like a jealous girlfriend here. You can either take the gift of your old friend or this lovely shiny lightsaber but you can't have both!

its also a callback/homage to an influential 1970s manga/movie that a lot of these creators loved, Lone Wolf and Cub, which had a similar theme of choice

The CGI is just on a whole nother level, there were only a few seconds where the mouth of Luke looked a little off. The scenes with him and Ahsoka looked like just 2 people talking. The fan they hired after he did his demo reel on a "good" Luke is paying off for them in spades. Its kinda wild to think we are just a few years away from all CGI realistic casts.

FKnxwZiXEAkqlF2

• 5Like
  • 3Mother of God
Reactions: 7 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
It looks like they still used a CG model to apply the deepfake onto though. The lip synching and eye movements were still pretty janky.

I'm sure shamook told them to just use a look-alike/impersonator and with a matching hairdo for the deepfake and forgo CG altogether, but ILM practically invented Cinematic CG and that's too big a feather on their hat.

Deepfaked onto an actor, the eyes and lipsynching would've been indistinguishable from reality.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
It's pretty strange to have 4 shitty episodes of a spin off series lead into essentially the next season of Mando where important plot is happening.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
It looks like they still used a CG model to apply the deepfake onto though. The lip synching and eye movements were still pretty janky.

I'm sure shamook told them to just use a look-alike/impersonator and with a matching hairdo for the deepfake and forgo CG altogether, but ILM practically invented Cinematic CG and that's too big a feather on their hat.

Deepfaked onto an actor, the eyes and lipsynching would've been indistinguishable from reality.

wait, you're suggesting they employed however many digital artists to make a CGI that can walk and move in a way that is indistinguishable from an actual human rather than just employ an extra for a few hundred bucks a day.

lmao, IQ in this thread is blowing up like the death star today, cretins

• 1Picard
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
wait, you're suggesting they employed however many digital artists to make a CGI that can walk and move in a way that is indistinguishable from an actual human rather than just employ an extra for a few hundred bucks a day.

lmao, IQ in this thread is blowing up like the death star today, cretins

For Luke that's absolutely what they did anyway. In fact for this episode there were three credits for Luke, the two body doubles and Mark Hamill himself.

I was specifically referring to the facial animations; especially the lip-synching on a few scenes. Deepfaking ROTJ-era Mark Hamill onto a look-alike would have produced far more convincing results than modelling and animating a CG face then projecting the deepfake onto that. Synthesizing the eye movements, tics and natural lip-synching is still slightly out of reach for pure CG but deepfakes simply take the existing eye and lip movements and transform them to match a facial dataset.

Getting a look-alike "extra for a few hundred bucks" and mapping the deepfake onto someone mimicking a famous actor's facial behaviors can result in this:

The same deepfake technology can still vastly improve the lighting and musculature over purely CG characters, but if the underlying "actor" is CG then whatever uncanny valley effects induced by the inaccurate eye tracking, lip synching and unnaturally smooth movements will remain.

It'll look better than the pure CG but since the movements are still off, the uncanny valley reaction won't go away.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
For Luke that's absolutely what they did anyway. In fact for this episode there were three credits for Luke, the two body doubles and Mark Hamill himself.

I was specifically referring to the facial animations; especially the lip-synching on a few scenes. Deepfaking ROTJ-era Mark Hamill onto a look-alike would have produced far more convincing results than modelling and animating a CG face then projecting the deepfake onto that. Synthesizing the eye movements, tics and natural lip-synching is still slightly out of reach for pure CG but deepfakes simply take the existing eye and lip movements and transform them to match a facial dataset.

Getting a look-alike "extra for a few hundred bucks" and mapping the deepfake onto someone mimicking a famous actor's facial behaviors can result in this:

The same deepfake technology can still vastly improve the lighting and musculature over purely CG characters, but if the underlying "actor" is CG then whatever uncanny valley effects induced by the inaccurate eye tracking, lip synching and unnaturally smooth movements will remain.

It'll look better than the pure CG but since the movements are still off, the uncanny valley reaction won't go away.

its the next big thing in CGI. and its more or less just starting to look good.
we went from this in Mummy 2
iu

to this today in 20 years.
iu

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I definitely like how they did Cad Bane. Menacing bad guys that pose actual serious threats were something that was completely lost in the sequel trilogy.

Filoni really let his nuts hang. Cad's delivery was unnerving and more than intimidating. The tension was great. You could tell Filoni really wanted to make sure people know this guy is a motherfucker.
That scene was pretty much perfect. I'm looking forward to episode3 of s3 of mandalorian. I'm glad they cancelled that boba fatt show.

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Wow, the last 2 episodes. I felt like a zoomer, tears in my eyes from all the star wars overload. I can't believe this can be made so well, and yet we got bs like the last trilogy.
i went and looked at all the wiki's for the mandalorian and boba and some other stuff and what I deciphered as some others were saying is:

Dave Filoni = good
Bryce Dallas Howard = good
Taika Waititi = good

robert rodriguez = get fucked

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i went and looked at all the wiki's for the mandalorian and boba and some other stuff and what I deciphered as some others were saying is:

Dave Filoni = good
Bryce Dallas Howard = good
Taika Waititi = good

robert rodriguez = get fucked
Rodriguez is good, just not good for star wars, next week its rumored the faggot bike gang has another horrible scene, but we supposedly get another deepfake cameo by the end.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Robert Rodriguez directed the finale and I suspect he will redeem himself.

I don't think anyone except Jon Favreau could've directed the first act much better than Rodriguez. I don't like how those eps turned out, but he didn't have much to work with.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Robert Rodriguez directed the finale and I suspect he will redeem himself.

I don't think anyone except Jon Favreau could've directed the first act much better than Rodriguez. I don't like how those eps turned out, but he didn't have much to work with.
They could have not directed the first act. He should have looked at the script and said fuck this shit.

• 2Worf

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
They could have not directed the first act. He should have looked at the script and said fuck this shit.

Yep, like I said earlier I think it pretty much confirms that Pedro Pascal played chicken with his contract and Lucasfilm called his bluff. They ended up filming half a season of Boba Fett because they had some characters and stories to develop anyway and when Pedro Pascal buckled, they went back to filming the Mando stuff.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
They could have at least had Mando go talk to those Tuskans that helped with the Krayt Dragon. Having them as extra "muscle" and Boba's reaction could have it least tied shit up with the first few episodes.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yep, like I said earlier I think it pretty much confirms that Pedro Pascal played chicken with his contract and Lucasfilm called his bluff. They ended up filming half a season of Boba Fett because they had some characters and stories to develop anyway and when Pedro Pascal buckled, they went back to filming the Mando stuff.
They don't really need Pedro though, how much was he on set?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
you know the saying, dont assume conspiracy when stupidity suffices.

you're all just trying to find a reason why the first chunk sucked instead of just understanding most people are varying degrees of incompetent. i really don't think pedro's contract played much a part of this.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
you know the saying, dont assume conspiracy when stupidity suffices.

you're all just trying to find a reason why the first chunk sucked instead of just understanding most people are varying degrees of incompetent. i really don't think pedro's contract played much a part of this.

They're morons who think a major Hollywood studio can start filming a series having outlined or written the scripts, scouted locations, scheduled etc and just change course halfway because one actor became available

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
The first 4 episodes "sucked" because it wasn't what people were expecting.

His reintroduction is mandalorian s2e6. He starts off old man hermit in tusken gear, recovers his armor and then goes beast mode and saves the day. We see him a few more times and learn more about boba, his values, etc. Honor and loyalty. Next fight scene we see him in the post credits scene taking out bib fortuna.

People expected the show to be more of that. They wanted the boba fett they imagined growing up. Ive argued (extensively in this thread) about canon and what they should of expected is filling in the 5 year gap from post jedi until now, which is what the first 4 episodes were about via flashbacks.

I've also argued the problem with the show was the devotion to the prequels by casting jango fett to play boba 20 years later. He was fine in mando, they obviously used a stunt double to film the action scenes and only used morrison when he wasnt in the armor.

Problem is after he saves mando and fennec in mandalorian, he takes off his helmet and starts talking and he doesnt shutup or put his helmet back on. Most of episodes 1-4 is flashbacks to him as old man tusken hermit. Even the current timeline fightscenes is him without his armor or atleast without his helmet. The show has limited itself immensely from this casting choice and suffered for it.

You could argue its the writers/show runners fault for the difference in quality between book of boba fett and mandalorian except its the same people making/writing both shows. All the non boba episodes of book of boba fett people are fine with. The problem is casting a 60 year old with limited physical range to play a 30 year old people expected to be a badass.